Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443950 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Just let mechjeb play the whole game for you. Saves so much time and trouble.
Because losing a probe you invested tons of time in due to a mechanic that's not realistic is fun!

Because bringing a rocket you've brought into orbit 5000 times before is super fun!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Because losing a probe you invested tons of time in due to a mechanic that's not realistic is fun!

Because bringing a rocket you've brought into orbit 5000 times before is super fun!
The tedium of doing the same thing over and over is an incentive to innovate your designs. If you just have a program to make it perfectly feasible to launch a bunch of inefficient rockets then why would you bother making them any better?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1. Enable debris tracking in options
2. Recover debris
3. ???
4. Science!

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile

10 science bucks to the person that figures out how this happened.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(I didn't walk there, I landed where jastrząb 1 is and I only used jetpack fuel, the pack is currently at 88%.)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

You're on Duna?
Black lives matter.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(I didn't walk there, I landed where jastrząb 1 is and I only used jetpack fuel, the pack is currently at 88%.)

that's a lv-909 based mass relay used after landing on the moon, jetpack fuel used for course correction

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Always transmit? (click to show/hide)

Getting a probe out of Kerbin influence and back was a lot easier than I thought it'd be, especially with relatively low-tech parts.  Just took a little guesswork on the return thrust, and I still managed a reentry that I dare say was realistically safe.

I love the creativity this update is causing.

It's like learning how to play the game all over again.  I have no why I can stack together a bunch of scale-1 parts and get a probe that can escape Minmus distance and bring itself back, yet uses all its fuel just trying to a make a stable orbit.

In related news I left my first Kerbonaut on the moon.  Note to self, descend from the near side of the orbit.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The tedium of doing the same thing over and over is an incentive to innovate your designs. If you just have a program to make it perfectly feasible to launch a bunch of inefficient rockets then why would you bother making them any better?

Who says they are inefficient?

Mechjeb is in no way perfect but waiting for a mission window sucks. You can use the alarm clock but that's another mod. You can fly by the seat of your pants if you want to, but you don't have to. Mechjeb will do as much or a little as you want. It's as much a tool as the navball or a calculator is.

Will dig up official .22 mechjeb link again in a bit. Not at computer now.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 09:32:03 am by BigD145 »

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

that's a lv-909 based mass relay used after landing on the moon, jetpack fuel used for course correction
Hah, I wish - I barely unlocked the first four branches of the science tree. No, that's what happens when you fly into a crater's edge at high speeds. He just kept rolling down the crater, there was no way to stop him. This is what I've got right now:

It's got about 20 litres of fuel, and I've got no idea how to use that to get back home.

And that's Jastrząb 1. As you can see, I don't have a whole lot of parts to work with, let alone experience in this game - I barely got this thing to an orbit higher than 80kkm because I'm just bad at games. It made it to the Mun, though, so that's good.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

eh, I just landed that probe on Duna and transmitted a whole bunch of science :P. Now I'm working on a full Duna mission using my new 2.5m probes and shiny clapotron Sr.s to put together a booster section, a command module, and a lander

Also, Fritz, remember you can transmit your findings back to kerbin, and don't be afraid of the data loss for transmitting. At your point in the game, science now is better than science maybe later, if you manage it. Also remember to repeat experiments and keep transmitting until you run out of any way to either charge your batteries or the science gain drops below 1
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

I love the probes even more than before.

I launched one with the intent to make goo experiment around the biomes of the mun. Orbiting 14 km above the surface, I realized that it was the EVA reports that care about the biomes (and the sampling). So I said "fuck it" and went for Minmus, made a pass 10km above it, transmitting everything I could, then pushed into kerbol orbit (after some quite enraging bugs with narrow escapes), transmitted a couple experimental results, then kept the last and went back. A single manoeuver brought me to a 68km kerbin apoapsis, that is to say a very shallow reentry. I burned all my residual fuel to reduce the speed, deployed the parachutes and landed. Upside down, but nothing distached.

Results: more than 300 !!SCIENCE!! points. This was a triumph. Huge success. I'm so happy right now :'D
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did what you suggested, and it worked out well - I got enough science bucks to get batteries and science jr, unfortunately jastrzab 1 after reaching 12k km went back to the Mun and crashed, taking Jebediah with him.
So as far as I understand, science jr generates science passively and uses electric charge to transmit it back to Kerbin?

fakeedit: darn, I wish my flights were that successful, kaian ;)

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

*cough*quicksave*cough*

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

Here's a tip I sort of figured out.

You know how you can use fuel pipes to link the outer stages and break them off two at a time as you go up?

You don't need the fuel pipes. You can do that just by putting less or more fuel on different stages. It's not as efficient, but in my experience it's still a lot more weight-efficient than having a solid ring of rockets.
Nothing important here, move along.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Probably tried to climb up the crater wall and ended up sliding down the slope and along the ground for that distance. Low gravity worlds might as well be made of warm ice. (Assuming they aren't already.)

Edit: Derp... didn't see the next page with the answer on it.

Double edit: FritzPL: I think your rocket has a bit too much rocket on the bottom and not enough on the top. Either trim some off the bottom or add more fuel up top. It's hard to tell without test flying it myself, but I feel like you could get more distance if you shaved the top small tank off your radial boosters, and staged them a little differently, burn 4 first, let those go, burn the last two boosters, let those go, then move on to your central rocket stack. Should work a little better. I also have no idea how you fly, either.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 10:01:23 am by sluissa »
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 848