Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443932 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

I just made a round trip to Duna and Ike with a slightly upgraded probe from last time (it has the gravioli detector and the atmospheric analyser). 2000 science. I love this probe.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wish there was a benefit to satellites.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

You don't have to make them landable.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

You don't have to make them landable.
He means (I assume) that there's currently no purpose in, for instance, communications grids, GPS, solar flare warning... or anything.  Satellites are merely practice and serve no actual purpose.

Unless you're using a mining mod, and can scan using them.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You don't have to make probes of any sort landable to benefit from them. Sattelites don't need to be landable, no, but offer absolutely no benefit over probes at the moment.

Also, finally got a nice moon orbiter going, plenty of fuel left, was considering trying for a landing...

Huh, you can run out of batteries for the reaction wheels in your pod, and apparently the battery recharge rate on your fuel engine thingies doesn't actually imply they recharge your batteries? GOOD TO KNOW

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Engines contain alternators, they can recharge batteries as long as they are actually thrusting.  It's the same way a car engine only charges the battery as long as the engine is on, but the battery dies if you don't drive it for a while.

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It'd be nice if when you were building your rockets you could simply click on an attachment point instead of having to finagle the camera and mouse to the exact right angle to get it to snap in.

"No, I don't want it to attach to the side of the engine next to it, I want it to attach to the stack separator above it, ffs.  HOW IS IT NOW HORIZONTAL?" etc. etc.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

The engines recharge your batteries only when they are running. And only certain engines.

As for satellites, I imagine they're going to be far more popular once science is rebalanced/extended, and the economy kicks in. Right now you can pretty much extract all possible data on a planet/moon in the course of one well-planned mission. This really shouldn't be possible. Once science missions require more involved exploration of orbital and ground space, lighter and more cost-efficient probes with science equipment should gain some popularity.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

I removed the FAR plugin and I am trying to remake my shuttle as a standard craft - damn it is hard

I guess it is to heavy because to fly horizontal it needs an angle of attack of 20 degree. anyone has a large space plane ssto design that works just to see the differences?

This might be a little too big, though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMOzbtZAfWM
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You don't have to make probes of any sort landable to benefit from them. Sattelites don't need to be landable, no, but offer absolutely no benefit over probes at the moment.

Also, finally got a nice moon orbiter going, plenty of fuel left, was considering trying for a landing...

Huh, you can run out of batteries for the reaction wheels in your pod, and apparently the battery recharge rate on your fuel engine thingies doesn't actually imply they recharge your batteries? GOOD TO KNOW

There are at least two mods that use satellites as science trickle chargers.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The engines recharge your batteries only when they are running. And only certain engines.
Actually, this may have been what caught me, I guess - maybe I was looking at the stats for one engine and actually put on a different type. Certainly possible. I think the battery was recharging during my ascent, but stopped when I was thrusting in space.

Anyway, I had my kerbal dude get out and push-point the rocket in the right direction, but accidentally ejected the rockets in the attempt (Why is decoupling the same key as leaving ship!? Argh!) Tried to do a nudge by hopping off then hopping back on, but instead of pressing space->f, I pressed f->space. And then my doom was sealed. >_<

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually, this may have been what caught me, I guess - maybe I was looking at the stats for one engine and actually put on a different type. Certainly possible. I think the battery was recharging during my ascent, but stopped when I was thrusting in space.

Anyway, I had my kerbal dude get out and push-point the rocket in the right direction, but accidentally ejected the rockets in the attempt (Why is decoupling the same key as leaving ship!? Argh!) Tried to do a nudge by hopping off then hopping back on, but instead of pressing space->f, I pressed f->space. And then my doom was sealed. >_<

Stage locking is your friend.  Alt+L (on Windows) will lock your current stage so accidental spacebar presses do nothing.  Provided you remember to actually lock it, of course (and unlock it... "why isn't my parachute deploying?!")

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Speaking of accidental ejection, once I decoupled my high atmosphere~LEO engines while they were on. They blasted away and took my final stage radial engines in the process :( Thankfully, I was able to use the transit engine to get into an elliptical solar orbit, so all was good.

I wish you could revert stage ejection >_>

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Sadly, it's not physically possible.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you decouple with docking ports, you can reconnect... or use quicksaves...
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 848