Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443869 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7140 on: November 11, 2013, 01:32:42 pm »

18 year single launch grand tour with landings:

http://m.imgur.com/a/19USo

All hats off.

Game = beaten
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7141 on: November 11, 2013, 01:36:08 pm »

fps: 1-2
time to LKO: 7 min
time to LKO (actual): 30 min
Heh

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7142 on: November 11, 2013, 02:21:55 pm »

...I'll just go land on Minmus...
...maybe practice orbital docking as well...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7143 on: November 11, 2013, 02:27:28 pm »

Question: Is it possible to land on the Sun? This is assuming reality warping levels of save editing and such (turning off temperature preferably) of course.
               Or is the game fully hard-coded to splode' everything on contact with it no matter what?

http://i.imgur.com/bZ0oWut.jpg

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7144 on: November 11, 2013, 02:36:07 pm »

Question: Is it possible to land on the Sun? This is assuming reality warping levels of save editing and such (turning off temperature preferably) of course.
               Or is the game fully hard-coded to splode' everything on contact with it no matter what?

Goddammit Bill...

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7145 on: November 11, 2013, 02:51:10 pm »

I love how they actually assigned a scientific value to a soil sample from the sun. Unless that's something you did.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7146 on: November 11, 2013, 02:56:00 pm »

I love how they actually assigned a scientific value to a soil sample from the sun. Unless that's something you did.
I think thats just the base value for a soil sample and the sun has no multiplier. Most planets have a science multiplier for various types of experiment.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7147 on: November 11, 2013, 02:57:04 pm »

The way science works, there are default values...

Anyway, that surprises me. I tried to land on Jool for shits and just went through the surface, exploding when I hit about -200 meters despite going 2 m/s with a bunch of parachutes.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7148 on: November 11, 2013, 02:58:35 pm »

the sun was probably not really edited since what... its creation i guess? therefore that's doable. jool was designed with you being unable to land on it in mind.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7149 on: November 11, 2013, 03:24:31 pm »

Not long landed a joint science and rescue mission on Duna. Heaviest lander yet and first rover. Just need to drive it 12km, get Jeb back, return to orbit, rendezvous + dock with the rocket in orbit, and get back to Kerbin. Fun :D.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's heavy... I am in the process of doing the same procedure, but I'm betting on not having to use a rover, and made an ultralight lander I hope to get really close to Jeb... I also used aerospikes on mine, since they work better in atmosphere? Haven't tried yet, need to wait a few months on a good alignment...
Best of luck for your mission. I've not tried the aerospikes yet. I mostly took a rover for fun, but it might be essential with the distance. Might try and get a bit closer with the lander.

That is one nice looking lander!

Did they make it home?
Cheers. I had to go to bed just after I made the post so I won't know until I'm done with work.

@Vattic is that based on one of Scott Manley's designs? He made one that's mighty similar I believe.
It's not knowingly based on any specific design, but I've been watching a lot of his and other's videos and lurking on the KSP forums since the latest version which has greatly influenced my builds.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7150 on: November 11, 2013, 03:41:49 pm »

Remember mechjeb folks: don't pick a ground target that is breakable when landing. It will land you on top of it!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pick somewhere a few minutes away.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7151 on: November 12, 2013, 02:24:50 am »

I wasn't aware Mechjeb could actually land effectively.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7152 on: November 12, 2013, 03:39:56 am »

I wasn't aware Mechjeb could actually land effectively.
If started from a very low eccentricity orbit it can be VERY accurate up to a meter so yeah, act accordingly.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7153 on: November 12, 2013, 04:30:49 am »

Something's wrong with my mods. Mechjeb is lacking autopilots, KAS and Kethane stuff aren't showing up, only KW rocketry seems to be working...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7154 on: November 12, 2013, 04:35:33 am »

May be a stupid question but is that a career save?

Mechjeb unlocks gradually now
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 848