Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448549 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7230 on: November 13, 2013, 05:17:33 pm »

Yes water is definitely the most dangerous force in the system.

Tried applying the intakes to the bottom of a plane, to see if it would be possible to make a gearless landing using intakes.

All attempts to land on flat ground or runways ended in total loss of the vehicle.  All attempts to land in water resulted in almost total loss of the vehicle and some intakes being released into the wild.

There was one attempt at a water landing where the plane actually bounced slightly when it touched the water, but I couldn't get it to happen again, and it's sadly not science if it isn't reproducible.  Not sure it was an actual bounce or it I twitched my joystick slightly expecting contact.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 05:19:37 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7231 on: November 13, 2013, 05:25:07 pm »

I think the only way you might get a gearless landing, is to use a reverse thruster to zero out your velocity just a few meters above the ground, but at that point the use or not of intakes doesn't matter - any given structure should survive.

Have you tried adding struts?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7232 on: November 13, 2013, 06:10:26 pm »

My idea with the intakes was to save mass and fuel on exo-landings. The puny landing legs snap off like twigs if you hit anything going faster than about 9m/s, and the girders are pretty damn heavy. So I was hoping you'd only have to slow down to maybe 30 m/s and then bounce a few times, using SAS to keep the intakes under you.

Or even use the intakes in place of cushions, like so:
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7233 on: November 13, 2013, 06:20:00 pm »

My munar mega-rover survived impacting the surface at 50 m/s thanks to impacting on its wheels. They're still heavy, I suppose.

The M-1x1 structural panel is lighter-weight than landing legs and girder segments but has the same strength as the girders.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7234 on: November 13, 2013, 06:26:31 pm »

Actually, is there a mod somewhere with landing cushions?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7235 on: November 13, 2013, 06:31:16 pm »

Actually, is there a mod somewhere with landing cushions?

http://kerbalspaceport.com/cp-airbag-system/

Is this about right?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7236 on: November 13, 2013, 06:45:26 pm »

Awesome, thanks!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Nao

• Bay Watcher
  • (A!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7237 on: November 13, 2013, 07:37:07 pm »

My idea with the intakes was to save mass and fuel on exo-landings. The puny landing legs snap off like twigs if you hit anything going faster than about 9m/s, and the girders are pretty damn heavy. So I was hoping you'd only have to slow down to maybe 30 m/s and then bounce a few times, using SAS to keep the intakes under you.
There is a pretty lame way (in stock game) to save even more weight on landing legs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've used it to land a heavy return craft on Eve with 15-20m/s ground impact speed.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7238 on: November 13, 2013, 07:41:10 pm »

But the ram intake weighs even less, and has even more impact tolerance.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Nao

• Bay Watcher
  • (A!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7239 on: November 13, 2013, 07:51:11 pm »

But the ram intake weighs even less, and has even more impact tolerance.
Gear is weightless, you can strap a hundreds of them and it will make no difference. And since they are actually designed to hit things at speed they usually survive high speed impacts, or at least the gear goes through the ground slowing the ship a little and not exploding.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7240 on: November 13, 2013, 08:10:54 pm »

I've made a fresh install and added all sorts of things, largely for Mission Controller Extended and RemoteTech. Mission Controller gets turned off when I just want to screw around. One of the missions is high orbit, above 400k. So I made that and noticed I had some fuel in the tank. The next mission was orbit around Mun under 900k. Hey, let's try that. It's a good thing I did because my Kerbin craft cost more than the reward for 400k. I would have also gone and crashed into Minmus, but the Mun mission required a return to Kerbin. I would launch a probe at Minmus but that will take some work getting antennae setup to bounce signals from Kerbin. Or I can lose my 5000 deposit on a Kerbonaut. Or I can hope things are just right to land on the Mun FOREVER but launch a probe before that with directional antennas.

RemoteTech has one big challenge: the Kerbal Command is below the horizon when you circularize a burn to get into orbit. Your first satellites have to be assisted by Kerbals. You might be able to do things by burning straight up... maybe.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 08:15:01 pm by BigD145 »

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7241 on: November 13, 2013, 08:35:07 pm »

RemoteTech has one big challenge: the Kerbal Command is below the horizon when you circularize a burn to get into orbit. Your first satellites have to be assisted by Kerbals. You might be able to do things by burning straight up... maybe.

The trick is to set up mini comm bases at different areas around Kerbin.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7242 on: November 13, 2013, 09:11:43 pm »

The trick is to set up mini comm bases at different areas around Kerbin.

I'm going to try an assist with a Kerbal. Once one is set up then the others will be easy without an assist. I don't have docking clamps yet, or better dishes, so they will have to be replaced. I am barely in the 300 cost techs.

Mission Controller is NOT built for RemoteTech at all. The rewards are far too low in almost every situation. Turning off Mission for some infrastructure is quite legit.

One of my fav part mods got some nice additions. Bavarian Tubes  Demo reel   I do want to make a couple manned antenna complexes using this.

Welp. That's my Kerbsat array done. One of them even has a backup due to mistakes made. Had to EVA to get the first satellite operational after getting two up and connected to Kerbal Command. Ended up getting a fourth in orbit near the first. Used omni's to get them to talk to each other. Extra antenna's between them if need be. I wasn't originally sure I could EVA to fix things.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 01:00:28 am by BigD145 »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7243 on: November 14, 2013, 01:32:26 am »

There is a pretty lame way (in stock game) to save even more weight on landing legs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've used it to land a heavy return craft on Eve with 15-20m/s ground impact speed.
Um, you sure? They're like half a ton each.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7244 on: November 14, 2013, 02:12:02 am »

If you climb faster you can place the apoapsis where the space center is still in range.
Try burning a little less horizontally.
You will need an antenna active for all the climb. And power for it
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 848