Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 514 515 [516] 517 518 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448141 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7725 on: December 20, 2013, 09:09:51 pm »

What would happen if you brought another Kerbonaut and took the craft back?

Would you be able to recover the SCIENCE?

I believe so, I'm sending up a two-seater now, with the intention of flying back both ships.  I suspect Jeb will respawn?  Or does that not occur in career mode?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7726 on: December 20, 2013, 09:29:16 pm »

The three Immortals (Bob, Bill, Jeb) are respawning in Careering mode, da.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7727 on: December 21, 2013, 12:40:39 am »

What would happen if you brought another Kerbonaut and took the craft back?

Would you be able to recover the SCIENCE?

Yes, so... did just that.  Brought a heavier two seater to minimus, and stocked this one with four labs and 8 goo containers.  Brought an extra pilot, and flew both ships back to Kerbin.

Was pretty pleased as they were both racing back on slightly different trajectories.  Landed the larger rescue craft.

Original ship with my replacement pilot explodes when it hits the atmosphere under time acceleration.  F***

Carnwennan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7728 on: December 21, 2013, 02:24:40 am »

I've gotten a little better at working with FAR. Once you're out of atmos it's really all the same.

My first Mun lander failed hilariously when I made the landing gear too stubby and the rockets hit the surface first and exploded. The rescue craft ran out of fuel on the return trip and the rescue rescue craft ditched the spare command pod intended for the stranded pilot before rendezvous. I had to switch the pilot into the rescue rescue craft and condemn Jeb to eventually intercept with the Mun again and fly out of Kerbin's sphere of influence. The rescue rescue craft landed fine and Cormon Kerman later managed a Minmus landing with an improved version of the original ship.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7729 on: December 21, 2013, 04:19:17 pm »

THE KRAKEN

Black screen. Altitude was 666666. Can't even see Kerbin Command.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7730 on: December 21, 2013, 04:22:37 pm »

The Kraken ate the ship destined for Dres. :(
It was only a few days away.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7731 on: December 21, 2013, 05:06:32 pm »

Aye, the Hell Kraken Nastie Beastie, She is many a Kersailor has been lost to her 666 tentacles.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7732 on: December 21, 2013, 05:40:17 pm »

UPDATE: I tested it, you can transfer neither goo nor material samples. Crud on a cracker.
Well Fuck. I just spend two evenings if not more on a Minmus lab, lander, hopper, and kethane mining facility all in one.

At least I got better at manual docking...

Edit: So if I get this straight, the Lab is only good for if you don't plan on returning home? But you will need to sacrifice your kerbals, because it doesn't work with AI or probes?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7733 on: December 21, 2013, 05:51:24 pm »

UPDATE: I tested it, you can transfer neither goo nor material samples. Crud on a cracker.
Well Fuck. I just spend two evenings if not more on a Minmus lab, lander, hopper, and kethane mining facility all in one.

At least I got better at manual docking...

Edit: So if I get this straight, the Lab is only good for if you don't plan on returning home? But you will need to sacrifice your kerbals, because it doesn't work with AI or probes?
Exactly, the lab module needs two people inside it.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7734 on: December 21, 2013, 05:59:27 pm »

Seems kind of pointless to me. Due to my play style, i'm not leaving kerbals stranded on a planet. (at least, not until you have to bring along the requisite life support systems), so i'm better served using the extra mass bringing more stuff.
Magma is overrated.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7735 on: December 21, 2013, 06:00:25 pm »

It's still okay for sending some experiments with a wee hair more science points, but physically returning to Kerbin is by far the best and the lab helps more in that than in sending data wirelessly. No more milking that antenna and solar panels from a distance.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7736 on: December 21, 2013, 07:16:39 pm »

I find the lab is a great storage container for data from lander experiments on Minmus' surface. I packed surface samples, material bay and goo can data from the lander into the lab after each voyage to the surface; 30 or so items in all on board now. Sometimes I forgot to reset the science lab and goo cans, or take crew reports from the surface, so I missed a bit of science I'll have to retrieve once I have a rover to send up. Maybe a 100-ton behemoth with a lab on it. Still, a ton of science once I transfer it all into the kerbin reentry vehicle and plonk it down on Kerbin. With all the kerbals on board, of course.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7737 on: December 21, 2013, 09:02:00 pm »

How do you fine tune your aim for interplanetary travel?

I find that I cant actually aim at a specific body until I enter its sphere of influence.  So, if I want to shoot for Eve I can make sure that I have an "interaction" and take my best guess, but I cant actually aim at the planet until I enter it's area of influence and can see where I am headed in relation to it.

Am I missing some feature that makes this easier?

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7738 on: December 21, 2013, 09:04:57 pm »

I always just hover over the periapsis node to see the periapsis altitude, once the maneuver has been adjusted to hit the sphere of influence. See what makes it go up or down, and fine-tune accordingly.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7739 on: December 21, 2013, 09:06:05 pm »

How do you fine tune your aim for interplanetary travel?

I find that I cant actually aim at a specific body until I enter its sphere of influence.  So, if I want to shoot for Eve I can make sure that I have an "interaction" and take my best guess, but I cant actually aim at the planet until I enter it's area of influence and can see where I am headed in relation to it.

Am I missing some feature that makes this easier?
Maneuver nodes predict your course perfectly, apart from atmosphere-related-effects.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 514 515 [516] 517 518 ... 848