Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 554 555 [556] 557 558 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448622 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

You want fuel systems. Fuel systems is the most important thing.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Needs more science lab.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Wow. Docking is HARD.
I didn't even know how maneuvers worked until right now, and getting the degrees and next encounter lined up is like dancing on a wet frzoen metal pole between to skyscrapers.
No, getting them to within 20 metres or so to each other is easy. What's hard is getting them to touch in the right places.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

Thats why the Kergods gave us RCS thrusters.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Thats why the Kergods gave us RCS thrusters.
I never remember the translation controls. There's just so many.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

You want fuel systems. Fuel systems is the most important thing.
Aerodynamics is better.

Having a first stage ring of jet engines for your rocket is basically cheating, because it takes practically no space and can get you up to 10000 kilometers without even touching your precious rocket fuel.
Its like instant, free orbit.

At least, that's what my experience with it has been so far.

Thinking of later using RAPIERs as the first stage and incorporating them into an asparagus that starts once the orbital burn begins. MIN/MAXING, IN SPACE!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

YEAH! Got close enought to station to manage a docking!
....aaaand because I put the docks on the side of both stations I can't get it to work properly and have spent the last 45 minutes dancing fruitlessly around it in hopes that they'll connect somehow  ::)

Ah, young love.

Indeed, I do this.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

Wow. Docking is HARD.
I didn't even know how maneuvers worked until right now, and getting the degrees and next encounter lined up is like dancing on a wet frzoen metal pole between to skyscrapers.
This vid (can't find it because browser at work sucks but google for ksp docking without rcs) made them ridiculously easy for me. It's all about setting the station as your target, switch your speedometer to "target" (I didn't know it could do that) and then you can burn retrograde to match speeds. Then burn towards target a bit, then retrograde again and you'll get close really easy.

Lining up your ports with RCS can be tricky, but there's this One Wierd Trick Rocket Scientists Hate using Mechjeb on both craft to align them. You'll have to google that vid yourself, too, though :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

, but there's this One Wierd Trick Rocket Scientists Hate

I like how you had credibility, and then you said this and suddenly you didn't

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Wow. Docking is HARD.
This vid (can't find it because browser at work sucks but google for ksp docking without rcs)
Is it this one?

Lining up your ports with RCS can be tricky, but there's this One Wierd Trick Rocket Scientists Hate using Mechjeb on both craft to align them. You'll have to google that vid yourself, too, though :)
And how about people who don't have Mechjeb?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

These people should install mechjeb :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

Mechjeb is cheating :) Can't check the vid because flash still broken. Basically it meant switching to the other vehicle, select docking port, do "control from here", select other docking port as target, and then use mechjeb autopilot to "stay on target". Do the same for the other vehicle and they will always line up.

Although I did find it doesn't always work for weird shapes or hard to control vehicles, like having RCS thrusters positioned so that translation and rotation can't be done separately, or having too little gyros to be able to turn fast enough.

, but there's this One Wierd Trick Rocket Scientists Hate

I like how you had credibility, and then you said this and suddenly you didn't
That should teach you, taking me seriously...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lots of real world crafts have autopilots. Other than maintenance some are completely autonomous.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Real-life rockets also have lower efficiency and can't use oscillation drives at all. It's a trade-off.

And maybe I'm just a purist. Or maybe the MechJeb-filled screenshots I've seen have been rather cluttered.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

I use mechjeb extensively (basically everything but takeoff, landing and docking) and I think that saying "just use mechjeb lol" is terrible advice.
Pages: 1 ... 554 555 [556] 557 558 ... 848