Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 565 566 [567] 568 569 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443850 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

The asteroid mission is coming with 0.24, I'm pretty sure, since 0.24 is also getting some larger fuel tanks (!!) and a grappling hook (!!!!!).

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Any ideas what the next update adds? All I've seen is Danny's video, which involved lots of flailing objects.
Which sounds pretty much like all of his videos.

Suffice to say that he's an actively antagonistic person who believes he can continue to be a complete twat because he has a small following.
Actually it's somewhat worse than not caring - he intentionally rewrote his entire mod from the ground up to be incompatible with almost every other mod because of a ridiculous disagreement with another modded. Basically issued the community as "It's me or everyone else" ultimatum.
Ah.

BUT BACK ON TOPIC: From the sounds of it, 0.24's biggest feature is planned to be contracts. What exactly that means I'm not sure, but it sounds like the mission control mod will be getting some sort of much cooler official replacement. Also there's the thing they're working on alongside NASA, which should come out soon after .24, and add some sort of mission to get an asteroid into kerbin orbit.
Ooh, celestial bodies probably won't be on rails anymore.

The asteroid mission is coming with 0.24, I'm pretty sure, since 0.24 is also getting some larger fuel tanks (!!) and a grappling hook (!!!!!).
I suspect a connection.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Ooh, celestial bodies probably won't be on rails anymore.

That will never, ever, ever happen.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Then how could you move asteroids?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

...by having the asteroid be (under the hood) something that isn't actually a celestial body, but rather debris or some new class of object that isn't on-rails.

Seriously, though, having not-on-rails celestial bodies would be terrible. For one, they'd have to take out the highest time warp; for another, the Jool system is horribly unstable as it currently is (Bop and Tylo are both in unstable orbits that would launch them out of Jool's hill sphere in short order) and would therefore need a rework.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

IIRC, the mission isn't to go out and grab an asteroid, but to stop one that's going to collide.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

IIRC, the mission isn't to go out and grab an asteroid, but to stop one that's going to collide.

No, it's actually going to be non-planet colliding asteroids that are in solar orbit.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Also, from one of the developers on a Scott Manley Deep Space Hangout, there are supposedly some changes in the physics code to make it moderately less terrible, resulting in much better collision response resolution, which in turn means sooner early-exits, more numerical stability, and faster physics overall. And thus the ability to actually build stations a little larger. :P

Or in more technical detail, a change allowed them to specify which of 2 parts is 'dominant,' which should always be the heavier one but up until this point was just the first in the tree. Recent changes (I think in Unity) have allowed them to specify the heavy part as dominant. Basically, physics engines are like trying to estimate a highly complex interaction formula. They detect a collision is occurring through some means, then need to respond with an appropriate response/reaction. Since the problem itself isn't really solvable in a lot of cases, it ends up using iterations of a refining method, hopefully converging to a more accurate solution. By properly defining the 'dominant' part, these methods can converge more quickly. Since the methods themselves involve error calculations, they also include early-out "good enough" conditions that stops the algorithm when it has converged to an acceptable level. So converging more quickly means that more accurate solutions can be found in cases where the max number of iterations previously was insufficient, as well as reducing the computation time required for those which can be found quick enough for the "good enough" condition to trigger.

TBH, I'm more excited about bigger stations and such than the actual features. :>
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 10:01:02 pm by alway »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seriously, though, having not-on-rails celestial bodies would be terrible. For one, they'd have to take out the highest time warp; for another, the Jool system is horribly unstable as it currently is (Bop and Tylo are both in unstable orbits that would launch them out of Jool's hill sphere in short order) and would therefore need a rework.
Why would they need to take out the highest time warp?
And wouldn't it make sense to put them in stable orbits regardless? (And what's a hill sphere? Was that a tyop or is it something I'd probably be interested to learn about?)

-snip-
Cool! I think!
Sig

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

That claw thing sounds pretty damn awesome. Makes rescue craft that much easier.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It makes career mode a bit easier. You can dock without docking rings on craft that was built before you got docking rings.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Because n-body physics is very expensive computationally.

And wouldn't it make sense to put them in stable orbits regardless? (And what's a hill sphere? Was that a tyop or is it something I'd probably be interested to learn about?)

1. It's fine as-is, really.

2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_sphere

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile

It's not .24. It's a special patch numbered .23.10...

It's in experimentals...

Guys, the average time between experimentals and a KSP release is 9 days.

It's almost here. :D

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because n-body physics is very expensive computationally.
Mm. Guess it wouldn't make sense to take them off rails if they weren't affected by more than one gravity at a time.

1. It's fine as-is, really.
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_sphere
1. True, it doesn't affect much.
2. Thank you.

It's not .24. It's a special patch numbered .23.10...
It's in experimentals...
Guys, the average time between experimentals and a KSP release is 9 days.
It's almost here. :D
Whoo.
Is that mean or median?
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 565 566 [567] 568 569 ... 848