Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 568 569 [570] 571 572 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448014 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

More save-editing time. I just copy-pasted the ship straight from one persistent.sfs file to the other, and the saves won't load. Is...is there some other thing I need to add to make it work? I saw some bit of file in the first file listing that we got to Minmus, do I need to add that to the other as well?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, Kerbal NASA Pack reveal is tomorrow at 3AM. I don't know what time zone, but a Kerbal marathon will be here http://www.twitch.tv/ksptv  all day Monday. .24 will probably release some days after the NASA pack.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile

I believe it's CST. Whatever timezone Mexico city is.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been trying a dinky little aircraft made with mostly-basic parts. Notably, no landing gear. It's surprisingly easy to control, except for the part that it doesn't change velocity too fast. And the part that it turns itself too much. And the part that it tends to skid off the runway on takeoff. And the part where it's hard to land (girders make it theoretically possible). And the part where going on EVA with the engines off is lethal. And the part where I keep hitting q and e instead of a and d.

I should research proper landing gear.

EDIT: The second version is tested.

Wait, it's a probe?

So far, so good...

Success! ...Wait, where's the mystery goo?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 09:08:48 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Marathon Stream in 4 or so hours.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been trying out a more advanced science aircraft.

I think this counts as a failure.

As does this.

And this.

Are these getting worse?

I'm starting to suspect that something is wrong with the basic design. Probably the engines.

Let's try adding one in the middle...

You missed it, but the middle engine exploded and then everything stopped.

Looks like the same thing happened, except we mo--

--what happened when I was taking the screenshot?!?

We are technically flying! But we exploded before I could finish taking the screenshot.

It probably went something like that.

...Maybe I'll take a break. Or go to bed.
Sig

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

Seems like you might have a good chance of doing a vertical takeoff with that craft rather than a horizontal one - at least until you get, you know, wheels! :D

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

This is your force diagram. The only thing it's going to do like that is flip the nose into the ground. If you want to offset the drag's torque, you need to move the engines down a bit, and possibly rotate them a bit to send thrust slightly upwards.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

My mod list is now getting rather extreme, I've added Interstellar, Engineer, TAC life support, and Cargo transfer bags For TAC life support. I'm not entriely sure, but since Transfer bags can be kerbhandled, they might be shovable into KAS containers.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

My mod list is now getting rather extreme, I've added Interstellar, Engineer, TAC life support, and Cargo transfer bags For TAC life support. I'm not entriely sure, but since Transfer bags can be kerbhandled, they might be shovable into KAS containers.

Try not to go too overboard. The last version I played I downloaded a stupid amount of mods, and at the end of it I downloaded B9 and not one of the parts showed up.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I'll probably not add much more, I'll note that Scott Manley uses all these except the cargo bags so they should work together.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seems like you might have a good chance of doing a vertical takeoff with that craft rather than a horizontal one - at least until you get, you know, wheels! :D
Maybe if I put the engines vertically...hm...

This is your force diagram. The only thing it's going to do like that is flip the nose into the ground. If you want to offset the drag's torque, you need to move the engines down a bit, and possibly rotate them a bit to send thrust slightly upwards.
...I think I understand? I'll try modifying the T-wing.
Sig

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but there are a few videos released of the asteroid redirect mission pack on youtube, the ksp main page links to them, amongst them are Scott Manley talking to some developers and of course danny2462.
Go check them out!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That should work. I hope. Let's test it out.

We lost an engine within seconds...does this count as a failure?

What happened that time?

Why are things exploding?

I don't think the wing should be on that side. (It later flew up, then came down, tapped the spinning plane, and fell apart.)

Ejection has unforseen side effects...

...but Jeb's okay.

Maybe I should investigate that? Nah, it exploded right after I took this screenshot.

Let's do a redesign. Two things: Chop off the tail and redo the landing gear.

What happens now? Well, we start taking off, the plane begins to veer sideways, it goes off the runway, starts to get airborne, I tilt the nose up to accelerate this, and...

Well then. I adjust a couple control surfaces in back to make them more level (just in case), add two girders to the wings to stabilize takeoff (I hope), and...

Don't worry, only part of it blew up! The rest blew up when it ran off the runway, though.

...Um...maybe I'd stop veering off the runway if I put reaction wheels on the wing things?
That does the trick alright!

Now to fly somewhere!

EDIT:
The first test went well. The second went...well...

...yeah. Takeoff is tricky.
And Smart ASS doesn't help...

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 12:01:14 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile

Good flying.
Best plane.
(:P)
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis
Pages: 1 ... 568 569 [570] 571 572 ... 848