Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 581 582 [583] 584 585 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448355 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The prettiest drives in all of modding.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Someone finally updated the folding warp drive in Interstellar Mod.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 02:47:18 pm by BigD145 »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

I'm thinking of making a simple mod by stealing from Kethane. The way it would work is that Asteroids contain a small amount of Slush or something (ideally, it's determined randomly and tied to asteroid size), and then there's a Kethane Melter or something that uses electricity to produce proper Kethane for refinement.

You could use Kethane Melters as an effective bottleneck so that if you want, say, enough fuel to power a Main Sail continuously, you'll need at least four of the things, and if you want to have enough electricity to do that, you might need a lot of solar panels.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Kethane in asteroids is already being thought about. Hollowing asteroids for storage is being worked on.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Or, better yet, setting up massive space-battles with individual pilots for each fighter. It would be awesome. Some training fights, some copies of FRAPS or something, and then begin a KSP-set war movie. Or something.
With realistic fighters. Ideally, ones designed by the people playing. ("You have $100,000 to design your next fleet and get it into orbit.")
But how many computers could handle both FRAPS and KMP at the same time?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hows that KMP mod coming along?

Because being able to do stuff like nogoodnames with active participants would be awesome.

Actually Squad has announced that adding multiplayer with the same functionality as KMP is their top goal now.
They threw out all the other goals to make multiplayer happen, because the KMP mod convinced them that multiplayer is possible to do in a way that makes sense with time warp.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I hate Chatterer so much. I hate LPers that use. It's got this beep that comes in out of nowhere and for no reason except it being on a timer. I keep expecting a voice, an "over", and then the beep. But no. It's just a beep for no reason.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Because being able to do stuff like nogoodnames with active participants would be awesome.

Actually Squad has announced that adding multiplayer with the same functionality as KMP is their top goal now.
They threw out all the other goals to make multiplayer happen, because the KMP mod convinced them that multiplayer is possible to do in a way that makes sense with time warp.

And that's why next version is all about improving career mode.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

So I'm trying to work out what would be required to move a realistic weighted asteroid using KSP.
Firstly I've determined that the ION engines are vastly overpowered and use a miniscule amount of power.
From what I can find with google:
Engine:                    :mass        :thrust      :power           : propellant use
PB-ION engine           250Kg        2,000N      8.729 E (1)      0.0485Kg/s
SMART-1                  29Kg         .068N        1200W            0.01611Kg/h
NEXT(2)                   ????          .236N        6900W            ??????
200 Kw VASIMIR(3)    1200Kg       5N           200Kw             5000isp
Mw VASIMIR(4)         1200Kg       ??????      1000KW           2000isp

(1) Power requirement of kerbal technology can be determined by analysis of solar panel output, a Gigantor has an area of approx 14 square meters and produces 18 E/s, with 30% efficiency this comes out to 60 E/s solar output at one KAU(kerbin astronomical unit), This becomes 216,000 E per hour, If we assume that Kerbin receives the same amount of light as Earth which gets approx 1366 Watts (per hour) then approx 11.295 E are worth 1 watt. Therefore a OX-stat produces 238 watts(an unreasonably high number) and a Gigantor produces 5.7 Kilowatts (a realistic number, but considering the calculation was based on this panel then It should definitely be)
(2) I couldn't find data on the mass or the fuel use of the NEXT, however the ISP was around 4200seconds which matches the PB-ION and a simple calculation would tell me the actual fuel usage
(3) An actual working test engine, However using solar panels for this kind of engine is considered unfeasible in real life, AD astra assumes a capability of producing working space capable nuclear reactors in the range of 1 kilogram per watt in order to run this kind of engine, however the soviet TOPAZ reactor had a weight of 100 kilos per watt, NASA were hoping on producing a 65 kilo per watt reactor for Prometheus and Robert Zubrin who seriously doubts the capabilities of VASIMIR, assumes a best case estimate of 20 kilograms per watt being possible. Note that solar panels can easily achieve 2 kilograms per kilowatt using current technology, but they're very expensive, I'm assuming however that mass production for an asteroid capture mission would reduce costs untill they're far below that of a nuclear reactor, also the development time for said reactor might be rather high compared to merely producing panels. Also note that a gigantor weighs 61 kilograms per kilowatt. Finally a note on RTGs(Radioisotope
Thermoelectric Generators) the RTG recently sent to mars on a rover weighs 45 kilograms and produces 110 watts, which is 409 kilos per watt, And the PB-NUK produces 239 watts and weighs 80 kg which equates to 334.7 kilos per watt
(4) The data I can find for the megawatt VASIMIR is terribly conflicting and doesn't match up with the observed capabilities of the 200 KW VASIMIR, particularly annoying is the paper titled"The VASIMR Engine: Project Status and
Recent Accomplishments" which lists the 1 MW engine as having a total weight 1.2 MT. Which either means 1200 Tonnes or 1.2 Metric tons. Considering the 200KW test engine weighed this much it might be reasonable that a newer model weighs 20% as much due to attention being paid to actually lightening the design, once again i couldn't find any data on the actual power output, but i would have to assume it is 5 times the 200KW model.

What do I make of all this? Firstly the PB-ION is 3411 lighter than a Smart-1 engine, and 2000 times lighter than a VASIMIR engine. It also only requires 2.7 KW electricity but for that thrust level should actually require  35,000-80,000 KW, propellant use hasn't yet been taken into consideration, but a 2000N rocket should use 0.131 kg/s propellant which is 2.7 times as much fuel (actually not too far off reality) Add to this the fact that Kerbal asteroids are 2% the weight of real asteroids and then you have a small problem.
I shall have to produce a rebalanced ION engine perhaps:
PB-ION engine 10,000 kg 100N 1764 kW 5536 E/s 0.00658kg xenon per second.
Note: Weighs 40 times as much as the stock ION, or double what a hypothetical VASIMIR would, produces 1/20th as much power, requires 634 times as much power or 307 Gigantor panels, and requires 1/7th as much xenon.
I'm going to need that part welding mod so my computer doesn't melt from the solar panels alone.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

I'm interested to hear what KMP's solution is.

Re: MarcAFK: Making things make sense:
Remember, physics in KSP are a bit borked. The planets are smaller but denser, and the rockets usually have lower ISPs (or so I've heard) than real rockets. It's...kinda tough to try and draw conclusions with that. Squad seems to be focusing on balance and fun more than realism.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Oh I understand that, I just want to see what It takes to actually move a rock using real rockets :P
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

I finally got around to getting this patch. This is amazing. Guys.

I can look at water without the game shitting its pants from lag. My flag is stickered on stuff. Framerate and physics are better in general. My body is ready.

Now I just need to pull a massive asteroid into the ksc and acheive Armogeddon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

I can look at water without the game shitting its pants from lag. My flag is stickered on stuff. Framerate and physics are better in general. My body is ready.

As has been said, the real problem isn't bringing an asteroid down.  The REAL trick, is getting it back up.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is a pet rock challenge on the official forums. Stock parts only.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well I would post the conclusion to my space battle, but it's become too glitchy to carry on. The Lazor mod probably has something to do with it. I like it because it has a good airplane autopilot as well as some unique features, but it can be buggy at times, especially since it extends the object load range. Deleting all the debris might help, but the Kessler syndrome is half the fun. Plus there are about 300 individual pieces of debris by now and I'm too lazy to go through and delete them one by one.

I may try something like this again in the new version, put these upgraded physics everyone is talking about to the test.

I'd like to see that happen, but it's hard enough to hit a stationary target. I can hardly imagine how difficult it would be to hit a reasonably maneuverable craft that's actively evading you. Anything larger than a fighter would be basically nonviable.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Oh I understand that, I just want to see what It takes to actually move a rock using real rockets :P
I'm sure Randall Munroe would be willing to answer that question and take it to extremes.

You know it won't do anything, right?

Plus there are about 300 individual pieces of debris by now and I'm too lazy to go through and delete them one by one.
I think there's an option for max debris somewhere. Set it to zero, and no more debris.

I'd like to see that happen, but it's hard enough to hit a stationary target. I can hardly imagine how difficult it would be to hit a reasonably maneuverable craft that's actively evading you. Anything larger than a fighter would be basically nonviable.
You could always try homing missiles (e.g, add probe bodies and some kind of maneuvering system).
Or use lasers.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 581 582 [583] 584 585 ... 848