Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 591 592 [593] 594 595 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443974 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

yep, it is like hard mode. Now I am using just far, as procedural fairings are wonky in 0.23.5, but it really makes challenging to get the ship back home (I try to recover everything because of the kerbal economy mod)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Has anyone ever tried combining FAR with Deadly Reentry? Its... tough.

I...honestly I can't think of why someone WOULDN'T combine those :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

Apparently "watching a tutorial for a rocket physics simulator" is a sufficiently good excuse for me to watch Scott Manley videos during study period.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's not so hard once you overcome some bad design and flight habits that vanilla doesn't punish you for. For rocket launches just remember that flaps are your friend and to make smooth gravity turns.
Stay above about 25km when you're going faster than 3km/s for a Kerbin aerobrake, take multiple passes if necessary. You can't expect to survive a straight vertical drop from the Mun, but you should be fine if you come in shallowly enough. Just keep the limitations of your craft in mind when planning your maneuvers and you shouldn't have to worry.

Also, what's wrong with procedural fairings? They seem to be working fine for me.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 06:05:25 pm by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

I've been wondering...is it even possible to have an SSTO that doesn't have wings?
And, perhaps more importantly, does anyone have advice on how to get SSTO spaceplanes to orbit?

OKTO2, T-200 and Rockomax 48-SS or w/e (the small one) is a wingless SSTO.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I'm using far an deadly reentry, I've had problems with rockets losing stability during the gravity turn, problem has been mostly solved with tail wings, basically looking at the rocket as if it's a normal plane , turn on center of gravity and lift display and place enough drag behind the center of mass to eget the c tee of lift close to the front of the mass.
I've had major reentry problems with mechjebs pod, specifically it wants to renter facing away from the heat shield it have placed over its engines also radial parachutes tend to burn off, It's also hard to get the bastard to slow down fast enough under own power, you have under a minute after reentry plasma dissipates in order to slow down before impact.
I find turning on auto land gets mj to reorient itself fast, then just spam the n key for RCS thrust, otherwise mj totally overshoots the ground and kersplodes.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

It's not so hard once you overcome some bad design and flight habits that vanilla doesn't punish you for. For rocket launches just remember that flaps are your friend and to make smooth gravity turns.
Stay above about 25km when you're going faster than 3km/s for a Kerbin aerobrake, take multiple passes if necessary. You can't expect to survive a straight vertical drop from the Mun, but you should be fine if you come in shallowly enough. Just keep the limitations of your craft in mind when planning your maneuvers and you shouldn't have to worry.

Also, what's wrong with procedural fairings? They seem to be working fine for me.

nodes haven't be updated to the last engine update that allows node size proportional to contact area, or something, making them quite wobblier. also sometimes fairing (interstage?) don't open properly

you need a tweak on top of 2.4.4
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/39512-0-23-Procedural-Fairings-2-4-4-tech-tree-and-minor-improvements-%28March-31%29?p=1079688&viewfull=1#post1079688

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

you need a tweak on top of 2.4.4
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/39512-0-23-Procedural-Fairings-2-4-4-tech-tree-and-minor-improvements-%28March-31%29?p=1079688&viewfull=1#post1079688
Thanks, but I can't see any downloads for fixes, only a mention of an "MM patch". I'll assume that it means ModuleManager, which I think is fully updated. If not, well I rarely use the interstage fairings anyways.

Has anyone been having trouble with kerbal attachment system? I've been getting problems where the game will freeze up for a second and afterward I can't return to the space center. Switching to another vessel causes the Kraken to strike and send the camera flying out of the solar system. After it last happened I checked the error log and it just showed KAS spitting out errors about distanceToGround being -1.
                        - Random human lord

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Known KAS problem. Welcome to KAS. You're f*ed.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well I wasn't using it at the moment. Time to remove, it will just make my planned Jool spaceport/orbital construction yard a little harder to set up.
                        - Random human lord

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile

Been using KAS for almost a year, never had any issues.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

KAS problems, when they happen, are usually catastrophic. They break the universe. Glloyd, you probably aren't using the same mix of mods as others. Or you aren't using KAS in a particular way. Things blowing up is rather common at the official forums. Most people F5 before using KAS in game.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Been using KAS for almost a year, never had any issues.

Your anecdote has been promptly ignored and thrown out due to being useless like all anecdotes are for any reasonable discourse.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Apparently "watching a tutorial for a rocket physics simulator" is a sufficiently good excuse for me to watch Scott Manley videos during study period.
Cool.

Anyways, I've run into a bug. I switched from EVA to Space Center, but then I couldn't switch from Tracking Station to...well...anything. I could focus on something, but I couldn't then Fly it or focus on anything else. I could, however, change what was showing up on the list, so it wasn't just a game freeze.

I classified a (partial) rocket with a kerbonaut inside as debris; could this be an issue? It wasn't earlier...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyways, I've run into a bug. I switched from EVA to Space Center, but then I couldn't switch from Tracking Station to...well...anything. I could focus on something, but I couldn't then Fly it or focus on anything else. I could, however, change what was showing up on the list, so it wasn't just a game freeze.

I classified a (partial) rocket with a kerbonaut inside as debris; could this be an issue? It wasn't earlier...

I've had that happen from time to time. I doubt it was designating the rocket as debris, it could be a mod issue. The only way I've found to fix it is to restart the game. But before you do that, look at the error log in the cheat menu (Alt-F12) and see if it says anything.
                        - Random human lord
Pages: 1 ... 591 592 [593] 594 595 ... 848