Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 593 594 [595] 596 597 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448627 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been trying to figure out how to set up a launch base on the Mun with extraplanetary launchpads, but I just don't get how you're supposed to design these things. The launchpads themselves don't seem to leave any place for all the other equipment required to land them and make them work. It doesn't help that they all fold out in bizarre ways which in theory make them easier to launch but in practice just mean you can't attach stuff to the sides of the deployed launchpad properly.
I can only assume you are intended to use infernal robotics to move the parts into position once you land. But since that's broken in the new version I guess I'll have to stick to orbital construction.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I stand corrected, That is an actual blender for Kerbals.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

I've been trying to figure out how to set up a launch base on the Mun with extraplanetary launchpads, but I just don't get how you're supposed to design these things. The launchpads themselves don't seem to leave any place for all the other equipment required to land them and make them work. It doesn't help that they all fold out in bizarre ways which in theory make them easier to launch but in practice just mean you can't attach stuff to the sides of the deployed launchpad properly.
I can only assume you are intended to use infernal robotics to move the parts into position once you land. But since that's broken in the new version I guess I'll have to stick to orbital construction.

Or you assemble in mun orbit then land the whole thing. Look into davon thrust controller mod to keep the assembly balanced on landing

Or you connect with the attachable parts of kas.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

My exact issues with it right here ^
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why not build only orbital platforms?

If you're dead set on the Mun I would consider switching to Minmus. If you can do that then you might be able to do the Mun. Build a bare minimul lander with legs though. The launchpads do not work well on bare ground. KSP will cause them to bounce in the ground upon physics loading. Legs and wheels absorb that to some extent. That should give you clearance for engines and drop tanks and docking ports. Balance is just a matter of keeping the weight of everything in mind as you build. Use dead weight if you have to.

Baha has a small launchpad with built in legs.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 09:41:53 am by BigD145 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Because it's kinda silly?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Until we get linear accelerators built on the surface of moons for a fuel-less launch, it's not that silly at all. Stuff some rocket parts on the head of a rocket and you don't have to worry about balance as much, just fuel. Right now both are free on Kerbin. You also don't have to worry as much about the in game physics engine on surfaces. Whether you do orbital or surface it's likely a good idea to also get the BioMass mod for fuel. Built ships don't come fueled.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Built ships don't come fueled.
Hello dealbreaker :P

Well ok, probably not, since you basically need Kethane installed to even use the things.

But yeah, why not build orbital platforms?
1. Because I didn't know you can do that
2. Because I never even got ANY OF THAT SHIT INTO SPACE
3. Because rocket parts and kethane to fuel them are mined on the moons you would normally build shit on, effectively making both limitless.

Notably, I always intended the base to be built on Minmus, because launching a normal size rocket from a atmosphereless, nigh gravityless moon seems practically OP :P

Indeed, I do this.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Indeed, it does solve the problem of launching a hysterically complex, massive and/or ungainly object into orbit: Don't launch it, build it there. No lifting stage involved, just launch fuel and crew up to supply it after construction. Or beforehand, I guess, since it would basically act as a space station/supply depot.

I had no idea it was possible to deploy and use launchpads in orbit, either, and I was having a lot of trouble setting one up on minmus.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

advantage of non orbital is that you can attach to a kethane refinery and part factory with drills if you are landed

but if you are around minmus you can shuttle from the minmus refinery to the launchpad in orbit.

does minmus support synchronous orbit? that would make shuttle operations quite efficient

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

does minmus support synchronous orbit? that would make shuttle operations quite efficient
Probably, good luck figuring out how to do that though.

Indeed, I do this.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Until we get linear accelerators built on the surface of moons for a fuel-less launch, it's not that silly at all. Stuff some rocket parts on the head of a rocket and you don't have to worry about balance as much, just fuel. Right now both are free on Kerbin. You also don't have to worry as much about the in game physics engine on surfaces. Whether you do orbital or surface it's likely a good idea to also get the BioMass mod for fuel. Built ships don't come fueled.
No, I mean isn't the idea of orbital launchpads (and hence either building rockets in orbit, or dragging them up to orbit) kinda silly?

I stand corrected.
I think what you said is right for the Mun, though.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Orbital ship building is really sane, and really attractive.

The main reason is because if it is built in 0G than you dont have to worry about subjecting it to 1g, or more.

Gravity is a bitch when it comes to ship designs.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You still need to move all the bits up to orbit, though. That's going to be harder than moving the whole rocket unless you're building something stupidly big or rather unstable (like a mile-long starship or a space station, which are really the exception to the rule), because the raw materials (or even the parts, plus all the miscellaneous bits to make sure no one part breaks on the way up) are going to be as heavy or heavier than the whole craft, and you also have to bring up fuel for rendezvous and whatnot. It's really easier when you don't have a limited amount of acceleration you can use to move everything.
(Not to mention that you're still experiencing about as much gravity in orbit as on the surface, unless you're crazily far out.)

TL;DR: What the hell kind of things are you building?
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 593 594 [595] 596 597 ... 848