Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448348 times)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10425 on: October 12, 2014, 02:37:12 pm »

Y'know what I always wanted to do? Recreate the opening scene from Heavy Metal in KSP. The one where a space shuttle drops a car from orbit and this somehow works.
Do it. And not parachutes. Radial engines to be simple, or if you feel adventurous, lithobraking.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10426 on: October 12, 2014, 03:21:40 pm »

Nah man, just drop that shit from orbit and make it badass enough to survive the fall.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10427 on: October 12, 2014, 03:22:59 pm »

Pufferfish, that is exactly what I mean. Although in the scene, the car DID use parachutes...for about a tenth of a second and then cut them :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10428 on: October 12, 2014, 09:43:17 pm »

Suddenly I want to do a Kerbalfied version of the egg drop test.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #10429 on: October 12, 2014, 09:56:00 pm »

Nah man, just drop that shit from orbit and make it badass enough to survive the fall.

Quote from: The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
Maxim Eleven: Everything is air-droppable at least once.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10430 on: October 13, 2014, 12:31:36 am »

Design the car out of wings and control surfaces and land it on its wheels. Roll with it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10431 on: October 13, 2014, 02:26:47 am »

So I think that I want to do a simulated mission to Mars with Real Solar System and a bunch of mods for realism.
So far I've got:

-Real Solar System (duh)
-FAR
-Deadly Reentry
-TAC life support
-Remote Tech
-Kerbal Attachment System (assuming it doesn't cause too many problems)
-Infernal Robotics
-KW Rocketry
-Near Future pack
-Firespitter (I only really want the electric propellers for flying drones)
-MechJeb
-Realchutes (maybe)

What I'm still looking for:

-A well balanced greenhouse addon for TAC life support. The one included in asteroid cities seems decent.
-Mining, particularly for water and maybe fuel. I think Interstellar has a good system for this but it would require some modifying of the resource configs for it to be compatible with life support, at least if I use original Interstellar and not Interstellar Lite.

So, any suggestions and/or things I missed?
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10432 on: October 13, 2014, 05:24:37 am »

So I think that I want to do a simulated mission to Mars with Real Solar System and a bunch of mods for realism.
So far I've got:

-Real Solar System (duh)
-FAR
-Deadly Reentry
-TAC life support
-Remote Tech
-Kerbal Attachment System (assuming it doesn't cause too many problems)
-Infernal Robotics
-KW Rocketry
-Near Future pack
-Firespitter (I only really want the electric propellers for flying drones)
-MechJeb
-Realchutes (maybe)

What I'm still looking for:

-A well balanced greenhouse addon for TAC life support. The one included in asteroid cities seems decent.
-Mining, particularly for water and maybe fuel. I think Interstellar has a good system for this but it would require some modifying of the resource configs for it to be compatible with life support, at least if I use original Interstellar and not Interstellar Lite.

So, any suggestions and/or things I missed?

Karbonite
Seriously, Karbonite and MKS/OKS should fit your needs quite perfectly, they're what I use, and I find them far better than Kethane, especially as Karbonite is concentration-based rather than having discrete deposits like Kethane.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #10433 on: October 13, 2014, 07:53:30 am »

So I got the Near Future technologies pack. It's very very cool, but I just can't see a good use for it other than as ion engine upped to extremes. Uh.. any ideas?
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10434 on: October 13, 2014, 08:05:56 am »

A better system than Kethane? I might just play this game some more...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10435 on: October 13, 2014, 08:25:58 am »

So I got the Near Future technologies pack. It's very very cool, but I just can't see a good use for it other than as ion engine upped to extremes. Uh.. any ideas?
Well, it sort of is an ion-engine-upped-to-extreme pack, the Near Future Propulsion part of it at least. It's all relatively balanced, with a sense of progression from Hall to VASIMR. The uses for it are multiple, but fundamentally you're going to use them to go very far with relatively small craft. And learn to build craft that are just large enough to do what you need them to, to maximize TWR.

Some engines, mostly PITs and MPDTs, can be useful for landing things on atmosphereless bodies as well.

If you like the detail on the parts, you should try the Stockalike Station Parts Expansion by the same author. Some very good modules there.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10436 on: October 13, 2014, 09:57:16 am »

Seriously, Karbonite and MKS/OKS should fit your needs quite perfectly, they're what I use, and I find them far better than Kethane, especially as Karbonite is concentration-based rather than having discrete deposits like Kethane.
Looks amazing, always liked the idea, but not so much the implementation of Kethane.

Stockalike Station Parts Expansion by the same author. Some very good modules there.
Not sure how I missed this. Really like Nertea's other work.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10437 on: October 13, 2014, 10:32:44 am »

Kethane is rough and heavy handed in it approach. Karbonite does things quite a bit better. ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads is currently looking to do full and official support of Karbonite.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10438 on: October 13, 2014, 10:47:48 am »

I only have a few Karbonite modules. I assume I have to research the rest?

Also, I put Jeb in a sub-oribital trajectory (80k by 64k meters). Will he eventually fall down due to air resistance while I'm launching other ships or do I actually need to have the ship where he's in loaded for that to happen?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10439 on: October 13, 2014, 11:17:12 am »

I think his ship will be autodestroyed if he enters atmos while you're not there.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 848