Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 728 729 [730] 731 732 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448387 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10935 on: December 26, 2014, 11:35:46 pm »

I've screwed up the landing procedures and now my unmanned Munar lander is in horisontal position:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Is there any way to get it back to orbit without crashing it into terrain or having to launch a manned recovery mission? I don't want to lose the science or replay the landing again.

I had that happen to a lander that was rather tall, got it back up with a combination of SAS, RCS, and flipping the landing legs.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10936 on: December 27, 2014, 12:39:17 am »

I actually had it happen with a really shitty spaceplane.  I ran the engine full throttle for a second, so it gained speed and shoved itself in the ground, then bounced back, where SAS could push her back upright and get landing gear down.  I only lost a few air intakes!

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10937 on: December 27, 2014, 02:57:45 am »

Kraken constantly attacks my rocket during vertical ascent for some reason:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm not sure if it's a bug or simply lack of struts. Weirdly enough, the rocket doesn't break up in mid-air, however it's completely uncontrollable. Even when I deploy the lander and open parachutes, the wobbling continues.
EDIT: I've removed some spheric RCS tanks in VAB, and the wobbling stopped. That's weird.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 03:01:03 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10938 on: December 27, 2014, 03:02:54 am »

EDIT: I've removed some spheric RCS tanks in VAB, and the wobbling stopped. That's weird.
They were probably clipping and creating phantom forces. That tends to happen when you cluster a lot of objects near each other.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10939 on: December 27, 2014, 03:25:13 am »

Now play hard mode.

Yolo

Or rather

Ykolo
Hardmode is best mode.
Oh god where is my funding, Jeb's dead, the Kraken killed him, why, shit, oh shit, no reverts, Success! Damn I'm still brokethough :(
Real space programs in a nutshell  :P

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10940 on: December 27, 2014, 03:39:31 am »

Man, I just can't get these rocket planes flying.   I've got something twice the size of what I normally use to put one kerbal in orbit, but it keeps falling short of hitting a target just off the coast of the space center.

I think the problem is the shitty radial engines I'm trying to test.  This is good, I was worried that I had somehow lost my ability to fly short distances.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10941 on: December 27, 2014, 02:34:03 pm »

Now play hard mode.

Yolo

Or rather

Ykolo
Hardmode is best mode.
I usually play moderate for vanilla ones, though if I add FAR/lifesupport/Interstellar/therestofmyusualmods I have to go back to baby normal mode because I suddenly become incompetent at flying rockets straight up. Somehow.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10942 on: January 01, 2015, 08:31:23 pm »

Doublepost because BUMP.

So I just tried to rescue a Kerbal before having an upgraded tracking station...not fun. TARGET VELOCITY AND POSITION UNKNOWN. MY BRAIN HURTS.

Got it within 19 km though, so I still feel pretty awesome.

Also, the unofficial version of Interstellar is compatible with beta right now. Currently checking the awesomeness.

Indeed, I do this.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10943 on: January 02, 2015, 05:45:39 am »

I'm really enjoying the new contracts.  I hadn't played with Fine Print before the "Beta" release, so this is all pretty new to me.

I like how it provides pacing to the game along with the upgrade costs for the various facilities.  I can use the Policy system to cripple my reputation gains, as they usually max-out fairly quickly.  This provides pacing for what contracts I have available, and the contracts in turn fund the unlocking of things

Also, using the Satellite Placement contracts to distribute my communications network means that I'm not launching well-designed efficient satellite constellations as soon as I have the tech.  I have a larger number of relays at random geometries, making greater use of the short range 45deg cones to try to achieve overlapping coverage.

My first automated moon probe is currently in flight, and correcting it's communications coverage is fun and a little dicey. 

And with TAC-LS, I cant yet afford any of the large space station missions, or "free" orbital science jobs.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10944 on: January 02, 2015, 11:50:03 am »

I'm really enjoying the new contracts.  I hadn't played with Fine Print before the "Beta" release, so this is all pretty new to me.

I like how it provides pacing to the game along with the upgrade costs for the various facilities.  I can use the Policy system to cripple my reputation gains, as they usually max-out fairly quickly.  This provides pacing for what contracts I have available, and the contracts in turn fund the unlocking of things

Also, using the Satellite Placement contracts to distribute my communications network means that I'm not launching well-designed efficient satellite constellations as soon as I have the tech.  I have a larger number of relays at random geometries, making greater use of the short range 45deg cones to try to achieve overlapping coverage.

My first automated moon probe is currently in flight, and correcting it's communications coverage is fun and a little dicey. 

And with TAC-LS, I cant yet afford any of the large space station missions, or "free" orbital science jobs.

I likewise didn't use FinePrint, so looking forward to seeing these new contract setups (haven't updated to the latest version yet).  I take it from your satellites comment that you're using RemoteTech (as well as TAC-LS) - is it working well in the latest version?  I had some minor issues (non-working parts) last time I tried using it (a few versions back) so have steered clear of it since.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10945 on: January 02, 2015, 12:25:37 pm »

Works great.  These are the only two mods I use, so I can't speak to other potential conflicts.

There are a few things that could be improved: the autopilot could be better integrated with the new beta autopilot features.  The flight computer sometimes gets confused when you toggle between vessels with [] but it is easily fixed (close / reopen, or switch vessels with map)

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10946 on: January 02, 2015, 10:22:52 pm »

I may have posted it before, but KSP tips is a neat little mod; very useful for the first-timer or learner.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10947 on: January 03, 2015, 08:20:42 pm »

Isn't this the game where Putnam asked for mod ideas? I think so, but regardless, here is my little mod idea anyway for anyone who can do such things.

Basically I just got the idea of a newspaper or tv program or somesuch that you can view somewhere that show's the public response to the space programs achievements.

So for example if you complete a contract to put a satellite in orbit there might be a tiny article or mention about it but landing on the Mun for the first time gets a full front page splatter.

And if you really wanna go far with it you could have the response depend on your current reputation. So while a high rep program will get a inspiring article about how awesome they are for landing on the Mun a low rep one will get a blurb about how "it was totally staged" and such.

Well there's my idea for making Kerbin feel less lifeless. Hope someone runs with it or posts about it in the actual KSP forum or something.

Indeed, I do this.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10948 on: January 04, 2015, 12:59:34 am »

Isn't this the game where Putnam asked for mod ideas? I think so, but regardless, here is my little mod idea anyway for anyone who can do such things.

Basically I just got the idea of a newspaper or tv program or somesuch that you can view somewhere that show's the public response to the space programs achievements.

So for example if you complete a contract to put a satellite in orbit there might be a tiny article or mention about it but landing on the Mun for the first time gets a full front page splatter.

And if you really wanna go far with it you could have the response depend on your current reputation. So while a high rep program will get a inspiring article about how awesome they are for landing on the Mun a low rep one will get a blurb about how "it was totally staged" and such.

Well there's my idea for making Kerbin feel less lifeless. Hope someone runs with it or posts about it in the actual KSP forum or something.
You could go the route of Sim city 4 and have a ticker somewhere that scrolls flavour text that's appropriate to whatever's going on, modified by your reputation.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10949 on: January 04, 2015, 01:19:28 am »

You could go the route of Sim city 4 and have a ticker somewhere that scrolls flavour text that's appropriate to whatever's going on, modified by your reputation.

YES
Pages: 1 ... 728 729 [730] 731 732 ... 848