Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 755 756 [757] 758 759 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448350 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

I must confess to not having read the OP until now. :P

There's an OP?  :P
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

I like the OP. It amuses me.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

'I think you need to level them up once first.  It will say something along the lines of "+15 analysis" Or something along those lines.  Pretty worthwhile to have them on those science missions, since they can often net you at least enough science for one more tech.
I tested it with a level 1 scientist. The bonuses said something like "+5% vessel science recovery, +5% science part recovery" but as far as I could tell the scientist got as much as a pilot. I did notice the transmission values being in orange with some text about "basic analysis", but there was no difference that I could tell. It's possible the values were too low to get much of a bonus, I was just testing on the launchpad. Maybe they used to get bonus science but that was changed with the new lab functions and the text wasn't updated, I didn't play much of 0.90.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

Haven't been able to play the past few days due to homework, but I think stuff like crew reports and EVA get close to a 100% bonus.  Those +5s and +10s start to quickly add up.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So is that bonus science lost forever if you science somewhere without a scientist?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile

Ugh. I'm horrible with the new aerodynamics.
I can (for the most part) pilot a good enough rocket to orbit, but I suck at building rockets that can do that. My best method at this point is a 35k rocket that has just enough fuel to exit orbit after reaching it, and nothing else.

Seriously don't get what I'm doing wrong.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, yeah.
As I said, I can get a rocket into orbit.

I just can't do anything more than that on the design side.
Like, do I make a taller rocket with more engine stages+fuel? Do I branch out? Add more initial boosters? Branch out and add fins?
Basically I understand that video perfectly (well, perfectly enough), but it really only covers a very small scope for me.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

If you have to, you can try assembling rockets in space.  Send up a lander, then send up a second stage to get it to the Mun or some other planet. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What techs do you have so far?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

So, now that 1.0's out and Saint's been gone for four years, what are opinions on starting a new thread with an updated OP and whatnot?
We probably should.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, now that 1.0's out and Saint's been gone for four years, what are opinions on starting a new thread with an updated OP and whatnot?
We probably should.
Who should start it?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I actually like the OP. Bit of a throwback to when I first saw KSP.

Spoiler: My Techs (click to show/hide)
It's actually gotten to the point where I can't really do anything profitable or research-generating. I just can't seem to figure out how to build rockets with the new aerodynamics.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How far are you with getting to other planets? With those things unlocked, you should be able to get at least to orbit, do orbital contracts, buy an improved VAB, and then make a Mun explorer.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That was where I got hit a difficulty cliff as well, but I got out of it, so my advice based on my experience would be:

My rockets were failing to make orbit (or coming apart entirely) until I got Fuel Systems and rebuilt them with far less fuel tanks, and an initial stage of thumper solid fuel rockets.

There are 33 research zones in KSC for a huge amount of science you can gather if you can put together a sciency rover in the spaceplane hangar and have Bob drive it around. I have yet to do this myself, and should probably get around to collecting some of it (I was lucky enough to get enough science to get Fuel Systems without having to, and then enough money to upgrade to get waypoint capability).

I believe the single most important tech you can research to improve your rockets at that point is Fuel Systems, for the Rockomax fuel tanks. The reason being that you have far fewer parts, which makes the rocket far more stable, much shorter, and seems to make it faster as well (I have read that this is due to more fuel tanks having more drag).

This is my current best rocket
With solid rocket boosters removed for better visibility

The engines are all from previous tiers - the fuel tanks are the biggest and smallest Rockomax tanks from Fuel Systems. (In the past I've found it easier to land and stay stable on them, but I have not attempted to land these anywhere yet)

I don't think you've said what difficulty you're playing on - for reference, I'm playing on Moderate but have been running an Unpaid Research Program at 25% since the beginning of the game, although it hasn't done a whole lot - it's only given me +1 or +2 per contract completed, so far. I think I was more lucky to get a rocket into orbit that shouldn't have been capable of it (prior to acquiring Fuel Systems).
Pages: 1 ... 755 756 [757] 758 759 ... 848