Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 67

Author Topic: The Hall of Legends  (Read 593822 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The Hall of Legends
« Reply #300 on: January 02, 2012, 11:14:14 pm »

I vote for the fluffy wambler.

Still wondered why it wasn't in here. Practically, this is nearly a year ago.

I did nominate it, but just in case...

+1

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 03, 2012, 03:39:56 pm »

Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves is pretty lengthy (since September 2011 and up to 40 pages) and amazing. It's a centennial fort where the dwarves seal themselves in a giant underground dome and become mysteriously infertile while being whittled down by murderous ghosts.
Here are 2 cool quotes from somewhere in the middle of the thread (Flagrance's is altered to look appropriate as an intro). The story is currently winding down to a conclusion.
A civilization simultaneously great and doomed to die through tangible tragedies, tragedies not the fault of dwarven action but merely the inherent failures of their existence. Solemn and nobles dwarves go about the hallowed business of preserving the spark of civilization inherited from their long-gone forefathers, even as the filthy trolls despoil the very tombs that represent their connection to the past and their near-futures.
So, too, is the fortress being ground down. Dwarves die from uncontrollable accidents, unfulfillable moods, and unstoppable ghosts every year, slowly but surely. Poltergeists seize items and hurl them at helpless civilians. Pillars of smoke rise from the southwestern quarter. Unwanted clothing in various stages of decay litter the streets. Mischievous spirits occasionally pull levers, and angry ghosts throw dwarves into violent tantrums. Even if the enemy was not being unleashed on the centennial, Weatherwires could not possibly last forever. A few years, decades maybe, but not forever.
I'm not sure if it's well known enough to be considered a legend, but it is definitely an amazing story worthy of recognition and a read.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #302 on: January 03, 2012, 03:43:30 pm »

If it's not a legend, it's certainly worth archiving.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 03, 2012, 10:12:05 pm »

Vote one + to Weatherwires! Amazing story  :D

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 03, 2012, 10:25:32 pm »

I vote for the fluffy wambler.

Still wondered why it wasn't in here. Practically, this is nearly a year ago.

I did nominate it, but just in case...

+1

Votes added! Yes, you should vote for things you nominated if you still think they are worthy of entry, as nomination itself is no longer an auto-vote.

Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves is pretty lengthy (since September 2011 and up to 40 pages) and amazing. It's a centennial fort where the dwarves seal themselves in a giant underground dome and become mysteriously infertile while being whittled down by murderous ghosts.
Here are 2 cool quotes from somewhere in the middle of the thread (Flagrance's is altered to look appropriate as an intro). The story is currently winding down to a conclusion.
A civilization simultaneously great and doomed to die through tangible tragedies, tragedies not the fault of dwarven action but merely the inherent failures of their existence. Solemn and nobles dwarves go about the hallowed business of preserving the spark of civilization inherited from their long-gone forefathers, even as the filthy trolls despoil the very tombs that represent their connection to the past and their near-futures.
So, too, is the fortress being ground down. Dwarves die from uncontrollable accidents, unfulfillable moods, and unstoppable ghosts every year, slowly but surely. Poltergeists seize items and hurl them at helpless civilians. Pillars of smoke rise from the southwestern quarter. Unwanted clothing in various stages of decay litter the streets. Mischievous spirits occasionally pull levers, and angry ghosts throw dwarves into violent tantrums. Even if the enemy was not being unleashed on the centennial, Weatherwires could not possibly last forever. A few years, decades maybe, but not forever.
I'm not sure if it's well known enough to be considered a legend, but it is definitely an amazing story worthy of recognition and a read.

Nominated. Under the new format, it will hang out in its special section of the Nominees list until March 1, where it can be viewed, evaluated and debated in this thread. After March 1 it will be eligible to receive votes.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 03, 2012, 10:27:47 pm »

Final vote for the Bronze Colossus murder.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 03, 2012, 10:43:31 pm »

Final vote for the Bronze Colossus murder.

I killed a Bronze Colossus, and you'll never guess how has been inducted to the Hall of Legends! *dadurrr!*

This surprises exactly no one :P

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 03, 2012, 10:44:07 pm »

It surprises me.

Because how the fuck did it not get in there earlier.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #308 on: January 03, 2012, 11:35:05 pm »

It surprises me.

Because how the fuck did it not get in there earlier.

Everyone just assumed it was there ;P

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 03, 2012, 11:44:40 pm »

As a matter of fact I did, and came back once looking to reference it for something or other and couldn't find the damn thing in the list.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 04, 2012, 12:41:19 am »

I'm hoping this was an oversight of previous management, and not one of my own snafus :P

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 04, 2012, 04:23:00 pm »

Actually, why is something up for voting for march?  Shouldn't the latest be February?  Not that I have a problem with it, just wondering what happened there?

Can you only vote for it during that month or is that when it joins the ones that can be voted?

Btw, thanks for the change.  I plan on reviewing some to make sure that they are of true legendary quality.  I expect everything to be of at least something awful quality to even be close to eligible. 

Also, I'm voting down the eternal halls.  That fort was not finished and did even have an ending.  So -1 for that fort.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 04:25:48 pm by RabidAnubis »
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 04, 2012, 05:30:08 pm »

That fort was not finished and did even have an ending.  So -1 for that fort.
You might notice that it's still in the "active" category.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 04, 2012, 06:25:02 pm »

That fort was not finished and did even have an ending.  So -1 for that fort.
You might notice that it's still in the "active" category.

An active update hasn't been posted in weeks, and they are making a new one due to the lack of updates.

So I think that overall it is up man.  You can be of a different opinion if you want to though.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 04, 2012, 08:12:18 pm »

I'm with Darvi on this one. And besides, Reclamation of Battlefailed has updates very rarely, but it still gets them. A few weeks really isn't enough to knock it out of the active category.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 67