Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926816 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #150 on: August 09, 2011, 09:19:04 pm »

The main issue with a nuke is the amount of physics objects moving and interacting. If the physics objects were limited to large, simple pieces, it would minimize lag.

Alright then.

I think, after a certain point, it should go from "Horrific Emergency" to "Post-Apocalypse" after a while, with people forgetting the law and scavenging for food unless the disaster is defeated.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 09, 2011, 11:44:44 pm »

I'll be happy when we have trek style holodecks.  8)
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 10, 2011, 02:06:02 am »

Something made by Valve with a 3 in it. :-[
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 10, 2011, 02:43:19 am »

Left 4 D3ad?
Team Fortress 3: Cosplay Edition.
Portal 3?
DOTA 3.
Counter Strike 3? Counter Strike: Global Offensive

I heard rumours that Valve had another game that was of grand quality though, I just can't remember what it was...

[Edited for irony]
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 05:32:22 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 10, 2011, 07:19:47 am »

A space-combat sim where the missions were dynamically generated by the AI commander, based on only the level of information provided to it by the player (and simulated other pilots). And no "get within X meters of target to scan it", I want visual IDs with the pilot required to provide the info via debriefing.

For instance, your AI commander has decided to attack a planet. It wants recon info before deciding what kind of strike force to send. It sends you on a recon mission to the system. At this point, you can deviate from the mission plan, you can choose to stay as far away from enemy forces as possible, you can go back and file a bogus report, etc. BUT...if the enemy has sizable forces there and you report that you didn't see anything, the next mission is going to be a lightly armed strike because the AI's not expecting opposition. You could "game" the system and exaggerate the defenses so that the strike mission is overkill, but then that means less assets on some other front, so maybe you wind up losing a system you wouldn't have otherwise.

It would also be kinda nice if, as you moved up in rank, it became less combat sim and more strategy game. Like, once you become flight leader, you pick the weapons loadout for each mission. When you become squadron leader, you pick which craft and pilots to send on a mission. Eventually, maybe you work yourself up into the top command position, and the game becomes purely a strategy game, and now the AI is giving you sometimes unreliable information...

Would be complicated as hell to program, but if you could pull it off....

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 10, 2011, 08:28:13 am »

I'd also like to see Liberal Crime Squad as a mobile app, that way I can fight conservatism on the go.  In a similar vein, I would like to see Liberal Crime Squad, X-Com, and Spore having babies together, that way it would be possible to tactically fight conservative aliens across the galaxy with liberally evolved aliens.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 11, 2011, 03:39:19 pm »

Jagged alliance 3. It's been delayed more often than fucking Duke Nukem Forever, and passed through more hands than a relay stick. I just really really hope they don't fuck it up.
http://forums.techarena.in/video-games/1093390.htm
*mouth foam*

http://store.steampowered.com/app/55740/

Hi there.

pvtpob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 13, 2011, 09:03:40 pm »

A fps in which you do not have tunnel vision
The Stray Yak Bull grabs the Stray Horse Foal by the nose with his left rear leg!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2011, 09:06:12 pm »

I don't really think that's possible, given the design of current monitors. Plus, it sort of makes sense. When you're aiming a gun in real life, you focus straight down the sights, oblivious to whatever is around you.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 13, 2011, 11:22:20 pm »

What I want is something where I can make weapons/vehicles/ammo to my specs. I don't mean "+1 accuracy -1 damage", but as something emergent.
Like, for example, alloys of base compounds (like "Material 1: 60% Iron, 30% Nickel, 10% Carbon) formed into parts (solid parts of one material, like a gear, bullet, or shell casing) and combined to make a product.
A round of conventional ammunition would be a (some metal) can with a layer of (impact explosive) on the inside bottom and (medium explosive) cylinder filling the can up to a point, where a pointed cylinder of (harder metal) is placed on top but attached loosely to the can.

Banging sharply on the back of this 4-part product while confining it in a pipe locked to the can will result in an explosion throwing the pointed cylinder out the end of the pipe, followed by a puff of smoke and leaving just the can in the pipe.

Actually simulating something physically should only really be done when there are changes from last time though, simulating an explosion is much more lag inducing than remembering "Ammo_1 at top of stack into (pointed_cylinder_1 of lead heated by 20 degrees expelled from point_y at Mach 1.2) and (can of brass heated by 20 degrees at same location) and (137 units smoke1 from point_y)" [Translation: bullet flies out, casing remains in, smoke leaves barrel].

Lets face it: haven't we all wanted to make a Powder Game style device and wield it?

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 13, 2011, 11:43:49 pm »

Since it's really complicated, I'm just going to say it like this. I want a game that combines The Sims, Dwarf Fortress, Dungeons and Dragons, Shin Megami Tensei, Fable, Shadowrun, and Fallout into a simulation exploration survival RPG that basically gives you a fantasy life to live out in a world that is affected by every little change that happens ingame. One that expands constantly and never ends, with the only game over being when your previous character dies for whatever reason and you don't want to continue on as another character.

Oh, and it would be 100% text-based. I've wanted a game like that since I got interested in game design, and have even tried on several occasions to try making something like that, though without getting anywhere close to a complete product. Then again I don't know how to properly make a text-based game in the only scripting engine I know (Ren'Py) and I suck at Inform. Oh well.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 14, 2011, 12:26:45 am »

I don't really think that's possible, given the design of current monitors. Plus, it sort of makes sense. When you're aiming a gun in real life, you focus straight down the sights, oblivious to whatever is around you.
I once mocked up a very basic 3D engine where I could make the display bring "inwards" the peripheral vision to fit onto the screen.  i.e. middle was essentially rendering everything in 1:1 ratio (screen pixels vs "observable world pixels", in effect) but beyond some point (say the left- and right-most 10%) actually mapped its rendering to an increasingly greater horizontal angle than expected, in a gradual distortion, until the edge pixels of the screen actually represented say 80-degrees away from centre, in each direction.  (Can't remember the exact proportion and distance, now, but I made it tunable anyway[1], and the above sounds about right to start with.)

It looked a bit weird, but you got used to it and it gave you the "out of the corner of your eye" effect that both standard and even widescreen ratio monitors fail to give you in current games, without going full letter-box for a peripheral-to-peripheral view (which also looks odd, anyway) across the full-width of the screen while necessarily letterboxing the height and wasting a lot of screen-space (assuming you don't overpack the HUD in the first place so that it's essentially unusable), or let it work like a fish-eye lens in the vertical direction as well, which is not so realistic.

Anyway, yes, straight lines significantly distort in this zone, obviously, but as I was working at the rendering engine level it didn't actually need very much more calculation to get a (non-antialiased) line drawn in this segment than without any such detail, and as shape-filling relied upon horizontal lines between line-segment bounding (that now just happen to be curved, by design) I can't see that this slowed the polygon process down either.  Of course, it was old hardware and the code was all hand-carved (no calls to DirectX/whatever) in those days, so it was slow but probably not as wasteful of clock-cycles as modern renderers could be (ignoring hardware acceleration, of course.  If it can handle such non-linear mapping) in the pursuit of a similar effect.

[1] Technically, I could even have mapped a 360-degree view linearly (or otherwise[2]) across the screen.  Even >360 degrees, if you didn't mind wasting vertical pixel-columns on displaying some/all the view twice, or more, but thinner.  Still, was interesting, and gave you eyes in the back of your head.  Not that this mock-up had anything interesting, it was just a geometric landscape I was letting the user wander around, IIRC, no actual enemies given this was prior to me encountering Wolfenstein 3D or its later kin. :)

[2] I also tried what I might these days call "Bull vision".  Re-mapped the horizontal visual acuity to essentially give "normally graded" vision at about 30% and 70% across the horizontal resolution and a sense of peripherality towards both edge and centre.  I didn't actually obscure the centre as if it were the bull's nose, but you got almost all-round vision but most of it was off towards each side to emulate how a focussed forward view was not really on the cards.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 14, 2011, 12:38:36 am »

Since it's really complicated, I'm just going to say it like this. I want a game that combines The Sims, Dwarf Fortress, Dungeons and Dragons, Shin Megami Tensei, Fable, Shadowrun, and Fallout into a simulation exploration survival RPG that basically gives you a fantasy life to live out in a world that is affected by every little change that happens ingame. One that expands constantly and never ends, with the only game over being when your previous character dies for whatever reason and you don't want to continue on as another character.

Oh, and it would be 100% text-based. I've wanted a game like that since I got interested in game design, and have even tried on several occasions to try making something like that, though without getting anywhere close to a complete product. Then again I don't know how to properly make a text-based game in the only scripting engine I know (Ren'Py) and I suck at Inform. Oh well.

First I was like "Bleh, that's ridiculously ambitious and will never happen." Then I was like "Oh, that's ridiculously ambitious and will never happen until someone mods Dwarf Fortress 1.0." :P

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 14, 2011, 12:40:27 am »

I want a Pokemon game with fully-modeled ecosystems where you have to track down and capture pokemon manually instead of just walking through grass until something finds you.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 14, 2011, 07:16:46 pm »

What I want is something where I can make weapons/vehicles/ammo to my specs. I don't mean "+1 accuracy -1 damage", but as something emergent.
This is my current project, actually.  Steampunk setting revolving around adventuring, engineering and town management.  Though, due to not being a mad scientist myself, item creation will boil down to something less advanced than that.  Basically, after making something it runs a one time physics simulation, and records what happened.  Things like stopping power, weight, exhaust, oil spilling (yay flammables!) and such will be abstracted from that.  Hopefully you'll like the finished product.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 577