Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926925 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #720 on: March 07, 2012, 06:21:39 pm »

Hey, so this.

To sum it, up, yay.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: March 07, 2012, 11:12:15 pm »

It would be beautiful but it would never happen:

A collabrative fighting game in the style of Super Smash Bros made by almost every game company with hundreds of characters from comic books (eg Batman, Superman, etc), video games (Mario, Link, Kirby, Master Chief, Subject Delta, Sonic, yadda yadda yadda) movies (Alien, Predator, etc) and most of the last 30-40 years of our culture. Plus no DRM.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #722 on: March 08, 2012, 02:19:51 am »

An a multiplayer action-storytelling RPG that had tools to build any kind of world you liked and an easy way to mod in new resources such as map tiles and character models, etc.

A rules system that was configurable to fit many different genres.

The ability to set up a persistent server in which players could log in and play in the world you create. A "GM" client to allow you to also enter the world with special Game Master powers, spawn creaturs and encounters, trigger traps, possess NPCs to breathe life into the world.

POwerful server scripting tools to set up automated world maintenance tasks like working economy for player crafting and such.

Basic tiny, themed MMOs (not so massive). Think Neverwinter Nights 1 persistent worlds, just done better with better tools and completely focused on people making small worlds for adventure and group storytelling games.
I got nothing

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 09, 2012, 05:30:07 pm »

A kind of cross between dungeon keeper, red factions mailable terrain, Savage: Battle for newerths melle and movement abilitys (but with propper physics) and what project offset was promissing before it shut down would be nice.

Why?

You get to controll a base and design it in a 3d environment, see things live and grow in it, depend it etc. You get to make it look awesome or descend down to see it at eye level. Towering keeps, deep dungeons, epic gulfs. small quaint towns. All awash with NPC inhabitants who have routines to do, react propperly, and move as fluidly as the player in first person mode. The NPC's require food and work to make sure they have ample supply etc.

Essentialy youde have a Party, clan, guild, faction and kingdom system. You start as a party of freinds, this grows into like minded incividuals who you trust and fight by the side of, you grow into a guild were you get to make your mark and develop your buisness prospects, you then turn into a faction with millatery might, and through this you get to become a kingdom. In the end its all out war and treachery with diplomacy.

all the wile your on a procedurally generated map server with its own resources that are finite etc with monsters (giants etc) who you could potentialy capture and put to your cause and wildlife. new deposits etc can be found in places and the gear of your foes can all be salvaged and refit for purpose.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 10, 2012, 08:13:24 am »

A kind of cross between dungeon keeper, red factions mailable terrain, Savage: Battle for newerths melle and movement abilitys (but with propper physics) and what project offset was promissing before it shut down would be nice.

Why?

You get to controll a base and design it in a 3d environment, see things live and grow in it, depend it etc. You get to make it look awesome or descend down to see it at eye level. Towering keeps, deep dungeons, epic gulfs. small quaint towns. All awash with NPC inhabitants who have routines to do, react propperly, and move as fluidly as the player in first person mode. The NPC's require food and work to make sure they have ample supply etc.

Essentialy youde have a Party, clan, guild, faction and kingdom system. You start as a party of freinds, this grows into like minded incividuals who you trust and fight by the side of, you grow into a guild were you get to make your mark and develop your buisness prospects, you then turn into a faction with millatery might, and through this you get to become a kingdom. In the end its all out war and treachery with diplomacy.

all the wile your on a procedurally generated map server with its own resources that are finite etc with monsters (giants etc) who you could potentialy capture and put to your cause and wildlife. new deposits etc can be found in places and the gear of your foes can all be salvaged and refit for purpose.

WANT.

I really wish a game like this existed.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: March 10, 2012, 02:43:41 pm »

WANT.

I really wish a game like this existed.
Seconded. I've wanted a type of game like this for many years.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #726 on: March 10, 2012, 09:31:41 pm »

Why?

...Dwarf Fortress?

KG

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 10, 2012, 10:18:32 pm »

An a multiplayer action-storytelling RPG that had tools to build any kind of world you liked and an easy way to mod in new resources such as map tiles and character models, etc.

The ability to set up a persistent server in which players could log in and play in the world you create. A "GM" client to allow you to also enter the world with special Game Master powers, spawn creaturs and encounters, trigger traps, possess NPCs to breathe life into the world.

POwerful server scripting tools to set up automated world maintenance tasks like working economy for player crafting and such.

Basic tiny, themed MMOs (not so massive). Think Neverwinter Nights 1 persistent worlds, just done better with better tools and completely focused on people making small worlds for adventure and group storytelling games.

These are called MUDs.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #728 on: March 11, 2012, 02:00:09 am »

These are called MUDs.

Note the word ACTION. Its hard for me to think of any MUD as an action game, but I guess if you quint hard at it, maybe...

Nor do MUDs usually have nice world building tools that are accessible to most gamers. But essentially, yes. A MUD that is graphical with nice mechanics.

You see, imagination is nice, but I would rather walk over to the table and then sit and drink my ale in a graphical way, yhen stand up and pace over to the fireplace as I brood over some plot issue and save my typing for dialogue, rather than type out every motion in the room to get the scene across. Its faster that way and for me its more immersive. Theres also things you can allow to play out naturally with an action game environment that you just have to kinda type a lot of stuff and follow etiquette rules to resolve in a MUD. Like what fi I want to grab a piece of loot of the table while my party is splitting it up and run for it, fighting off any who try to stop me. That sounds way more fun in an action game that in a chat room, to me anyway.

Again, just like NWN persistent worlds. But better engine more focused on delivering tools to allow gamers to build their ideal worlds to have their friends play in. If you have never played on a good persistent world in NWN, then you might not even quite envision what I mean. I can think of no other game I have ever played that is quite like that. Its all the best of tabletop RPG within the computer game world. Its like the best parts of an MMO without being so massive. Is what I always wished MMOs were back when MMOs were young, but they never delivered because thousands of people were playing and you had to deliver a similar experience for each player.

In fact, I think I might need to go load up NWN again and jump back on my favorite server and see what stories I can get wrapped up in.
I got nothing

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: March 11, 2012, 05:40:57 pm »

I think that you're used to 'RP extreme' MUDs ("M*s", due to the whole MUD/MUSH/MUCK/whatever naming convention), from what you've written.  But I can see you don't have the same idea about immersion as I do.  In the "The pictures are better on radio" kind of way.  So I won't try and dissuade you.

Where I'm most regularly seen, I admit it's not an overly RPing MUD (you can, or you can 'play the game').  Typing "sit contemplatively" will get be emoted as "Starver sits contemplating" and observable as "Starver is here, sitting contemplatively" (only with my MUD moniker in place of "Starver", obviously).  It is of course an a partially 'empty' description, and "sit cotnemplatively" will see my character "...sitting cotnemplatively" just as easily, without regard for any mechanical interpretation of the sense of the description besides the fact that I am, indeed, sitting.

And if you're after actual graphics, then (largely, and I know there's MUDs with capabilities beyond the mere telnetesque textual/ASCII-map aspects), obviously it's not for you.  But if I care to (and am part of the player-run community of 'archictects' and given domain over the area concerned) I get all the tools I need to change "This is Random Street, <insert sunlight and weather information here" into "This part of Random Street is decorated with many coloured banners and streamers, redolent of the culture the local immigrant population has imported with them", or whatever needs to be done for that locale.  I could even be entrusted to add extra doorways (i.e. exits, visible or hidden), decorate out extra rooms behind those exits, install an interactive NPC or two, items to pick up or use in place, events to occur and the like...  It's not drag'n'drop... but, on the other hand, it's not drag'n'drop.  Much better than that.  If you can get beyond the text/keyboard nature (as opposed to the largely image/KB+mouse interactions of a 'modern' MMORPG), there's a lot more possibility in there.

But it's not for everyone.  And neither is each MUD for everyone.  There are doubtless some where Broneys rule, while in others its an S&M(&muchmoreS&muchmoreM) fantasy locale.  Some take existing fictional universes, others are totally self-created/evolved.  I've seen ones with landscape and room changes very much Minecrafty (geographically, every 'room' is ironclad set in stone insofar as which exits there might be and connection to the next areas, but just about every feature of the room is modifiable by the players according to very limited rules so that palaces can be 'carved' out of the informational ether), ones which are only ever alterable (and that very rarely) by The Person Who Has The Server In His Bedroom/Office, everyone else just gets to play Capture The Flag or whatever other entertainments He has arranged, and ones where a heavily player-community-led architectural corps refine, improve and develop the already rich environment, on the whole, with the only real Super-Administration tasks left to the privileged few (who, themselves, are probably now overwhelming coming from the past generation or two or three of past 'casual players' who became fixtures, and perhaps one of whom took on the hosting of the MUD after the original Founder decided to move on), such as decisions on how to tweak the stats/skills systems, introduce whole new swathes of the planet heretofore left sealed behind virtual "Under construction" hoardings, etc, etc...

And 'play' within the MUD could be entirely freeform emote-based, or very nearly every keyboard input is skill-checked and calculated and cogitated over by the system, according to the bounds so given.  Somewhere in-between might lie your "Action game" and all else that you desire.

For someone like me, with less of an art in... well, art... than in descriptive language (as most people already know, it's often hard to stop me!), I could see myself setting up the structure of a MUD much easier than I could develop a Skyrim[1]-like world.  And with a whole lot more possibilities and freedom, as long as nobody is looking for pretty pictures to accompany their journey.

[1] Saw that for the first time, today.  XBox version.  Mostly I was wondering how much of the landscape was procedural, and how much was artist-led.  Obviously artists created the "clump of mushrooms" object-like, but then did they get deliberately painted into particular spots just off the path, and stored as such on the map, or was there always going to be a "clump of mushrooms", or something similar, in that spot, persistent across the many occasions that the character might mover that way by dint of the XYZ-coordinates and the like saying "put plants there, type mushroom, orientation such-and-such-degrees from north", sort of thing.  Anyway, idle thoughts, from someone who through lack of personal artistic creativity has gone down the route of almost entirely procedural 'flavour dumping' in various never-seen-the-light-of-day personal projects along those lines.  And the artwork was often terrible...  And/or itself procedurally-derived.  But then some of this dates back to the early '80s, when not much was expected of computer displays.  Or at least far, far less was demanded...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 13, 2012, 12:36:21 am »

Why?

...Dwarf Fortress?

KG

I agree. Really, so far as I can see, this is exactly what Dwarf Fortress plans to be.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 13, 2012, 04:39:43 pm »

Ductape, there are Ultima Online shards just like that.  I don't know which ones are good though.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 13, 2012, 05:43:32 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...Dwarf Fortress?

KG

no.. dwarf fortress lacks a good portion of what that suggestion for a game contained. Sure dwarf fortress has lots of depth, but its not the same as what im thinking of in any way bar the management prospects. if youde played the games mentioned in this then you would know what i was on about.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Floating weightless in a cavern.
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 13, 2012, 06:54:37 pm »

I'd like a game similar to Star Wars: Battlefront 2, but Warhammer 40k.
In ancient times, men built wonders, laid claim to the stars, and sought to better themselves for the good of all.
But we are much wiser now.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 13, 2012, 07:06:18 pm »

I'd like a game similar to Star Wars: Battlefront 2, but Warhammer 40k.
I've been designing something like this for some time. Nothing actually on a computer yet, but I guess that great minds think alike :D
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 577