Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926944 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #1605 on: January 16, 2013, 06:55:40 pm »

Star Wars Battlefront III
Fuck yeah! I never owned SW Battlefront II myself, but I did play multiplayer with friends, and my favorite maps were the ship battle ones, because you could either attack the other ship directly, or you could fly into the enemy hangar, then run into their engine room and just grenade up the place. Or you could fly in a troop transport and have a mobile spawn point in their base, which the other team could blow up if they got enough hits on it. So much fun.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: January 16, 2013, 07:27:58 pm »

Katamari has copyright on it's gameplay I think.

Katamari is also so unlike anything that's ever come before, or since.

Nope.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

LibidoMax

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble in body and mind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: January 16, 2013, 07:40:21 pm »

I want a grand strategy game with a general WW1 like setting that gets down to the nitty gritty of waging war. You would need to make sure your forces are fed, clothed, and outfitted against the enemy and environment. It would also need to showcase the full scope of bloodshed, depravity, and questionable motives of any great war.

That which does not kill me...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1608 on: January 16, 2013, 11:37:20 pm »

I want a grand strategy game with a general WW1 like setting that gets down to the nitty gritty of waging war. You would need to make sure your forces are fed, clothed, and outfitted against the enemy and environment. It would also need to showcase the full scope of bloodshed, depravity, and questionable motives of any great war.
SECONDED. I actually did a pitch for a game just like that to help out a friend a year back. Never took off. :(

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: January 17, 2013, 08:53:34 am »

... And integrated PA system to play AC/DC songs, or something.  ...

It's Black Sabbath or nothing, maaaaaann.  ;)

Meh, the BS song makes for a good credits theme, but that's about it.

Not thrilly enough.

Well. At long as it's not the 90's cartoon theme.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: January 17, 2013, 03:40:32 pm »

You know how shooters steal components from one another? WHY DON'T WE JUST STEAL EVERYTHING, SHOVE IT ON A GOOD ENGINE (I'm looking at you Dice) AND SH!T MONEY.

GRFS COVER SYSTEM.
BLACK OPS 2 CLASS SYSTEM.
BRINK WHAT IF SCENARIOS
BF3 STYLE MAPS.
ARMORED CORE LEVEL PARTS LIST
GRFS LEVEL WEAPON CUSTOMIZATION.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: January 17, 2013, 03:45:04 pm »

NO COVER SYSTEM.
BLACK OPS 2 CLASS SYSTEM.
BRINK WHAT IF SCENARIOS
ARMAII STYLE MAPS.
ARMORED CORE LEVEL PARTS LIST
GRFS LEVEL WEAPON CUSTOMIZATION.
Fix'd?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: January 17, 2013, 04:36:09 pm »

What do you have against cover systems?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: January 17, 2013, 04:47:52 pm »

Because with actiony shooters they make it more or less turn into a "who can guess when other people will leave cover first" game. It's just hiding until the other person stops hiding and then you shoot them.

Stealth games are an exception because staying hidden is probably the most important part of a stealth game.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: January 17, 2013, 04:54:22 pm »

I've recently been playing a slew of old games, (Mainly Ace Combat), and a game that I TRULY want is something that brings back the feelings that those old games had.  Today's games are nice and all, and have great graphics, music, stories, and all that, bu thtey just don't have that same feeling.

On the more specific side, I recently remembered one of my favroite moments of RF: Guerilla.  I was playing and game across a large outpost in the badlands under attack by the marauders, and I was silently tipping the battle in favor of whichever side was losing.  Eventually both sides were almost completely decimated, and I was able to swoop in and blow up the place with little opposition.  So what I want is a RPG where you can do that- Silently tip the battle in the favor of one side or the other, from behind the lines, or full out blow up the side you want to lose.  It would have fully destructible environments, RPG aspects (Classes, factions, decisions that affect the outcome of the war), FPS or TPS, and have VERY wide, expansive maps.  An example of game-play would be that there is a major battle being fought, with one side assaulting a base surrounding a major strategic target, like a factory, dam, or power plant.  You would sabotage the defenders by taking out guards with a sniper rifle, destroy guard towers with remote explosives, and take out their air support, while slowing down the attackers by blocking mountain passes or disabling their fuel supplies.  Eventually, when the attackers have almost won, with both sides suffering excessive casualties (Thanks to you), you could sabotage the objective, by blowing the damn, destroying key parts of the factory, or destroying the supports on the bridge.  Or you could just outright help the attackers, or the defenders. 

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: January 17, 2013, 05:06:54 pm »

Because with actiony shooters they make it more or less turn into a "who can guess when other people will leave cover first" game. It's just hiding until the other person stops hiding and then you shoot them.

Stealth games are an exception because staying hidden is probably the most important part of a stealth game.
I suppose it's a question of taste.
All the shooters I like the best use cover.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: January 17, 2013, 06:19:37 pm »

TPS, third person shooters?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: January 18, 2013, 07:05:55 am »

Yeah, US copyright law specifically forbids copywriting game mechanics.
The water has been muddied some with that recent Tetris case.

A US District Court judge ruled in June 2012 that the Tetris clone "Mino" from Xio Interactive infringed on the Tetris Company's copyrights by replicating such elements as the playfield dimensions and the shapes of the blocks
Wikipedia

At the same time, it's the difference of a direct clone vs. taking SOME game mechanics. Although, wasn't the conversation about doing a First person MtG game? And how as long as you avoided proper names you could use the genearl plane-walking theme? I'm not entirely sure why we're talking about copying game mechanics is all, we're not talking about copying the card game, are we?
Confused
The wikipedia article says that the copyright issue wasnt over the rules, e.g mechanics. But the other game elements. Field Size and Copying the blocks texture patterns.
It also mentions block shape which, given the simple nature of the game, is a mechanic in it's own right. timferius is correct in that so long as it's only loosely based things should be fine. My comment was about what Japa said specifically.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: January 18, 2013, 10:40:28 am »

I liked cover in Mass Effect 1. And nothing stopped you from running out of cover and behind someone else's cover and pwning his ass (it was a risk, and often worth taking).

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: January 18, 2013, 11:06:30 am »

I liked cover in Mass Effect 1. And nothing stopped you from running out of cover and behind someone else's cover and pwning his ass (it was a risk, and often worth taking).

I think the main complaint about cover based shooters is that you regenerate health when not being shot so being behind cover means you heal instantly.

In Borderlands, this mechanic made sense because 95% of your health was a shield, which would slowly be able to recharge when not being stressed by deflecting bullets.  Your actual health did not regenerate in the same manner.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 577