Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929425 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #1620 on: January 18, 2013, 11:56:14 am »

The main complaint I have with cover based shooters is their sheer tedium.

I don't see why a shooter needs a mechanic to glue yourself to a piece of furniture/wall. You're given the ability to move in three dimensions and the ability to crouch/jump/sprint (in any real shooter), the combination of these is enough for all your cover needs. Having a cover system that promotes you peeking out and taking pot-shots slows down the gunplay incredibly and only serves to lower the skill ceiling, pad out gameplay, accommodate for controllers and mask terrible AI.
I don't find it fun at all to sit behind a piece of cover, completely protected (apart from a stray grenade), and then either blind fire or poke my head out to get some shots off. I find it dull, I find it slow, I find no challenge or worth to be found in it. Compare it to games such as S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or the classic shooters like Serious Sam where cover is manually taken and movement/repositioning  is an incredibly important part of survival. Movement good, static bad.

Cover based shooting AND regenerating health is just the deathknoll of any shooter. It's the laziest way to design a shooter and also the most boring. It negates ALL threats and rewards you for doing nothing. Regenerating health already takes away rewarding exploration and repositioning, coupled with cover based shooting this is multiplied even more.

Now that's not to say that cover-based shooting can't be used at all. It's a useful mechanic for games which have very little combat or are more focused on story, having small segments of cover based shooting won't get too tedious if you use it sparsely. It can also be used if you're trying to mash up genres. Mass Effect worked as a cover-based shooter since the game was very RPG focused. Players had to control squadmates, items and abilities which the cover based shooting helped to give them some breathing room - something the later games in the series neglected, in my opinion.
I suppose my real main complaint is that cover based shooting is just used wrong and lazily which in turn makes the game dull and lifeless. 

Ontopic:
Give me a god damn real-time/puesdo-real-time tactical cRPGs in the style of the Infinity Engine games. Stop crapping out shitty aRPGs and just do it. I don't want to "push a button and have something awesome happen", nobody but lobotomised rhesus monkeys want that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: January 18, 2013, 12:11:50 pm »

The worst are cover based shooters that REALLY go out of their way to ensure you are never EVER without cover.

You feel like the game is constructed entirely out of pieces of cover that you hop between.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: January 18, 2013, 12:32:23 pm »

I'm not a huge fan of shooters in general, but yeah, I dislike cover based ones even more. I prefer to run-n-gun

Ontopic: Pong: RPG.
What it says on the tin; a 3d pong game where both paddles have health and special abilities. Also, you can "equip" your paddle with different armors/weapons that change damage/resistance and add elemental damage to the ball. When your "character" is hit by the ball sections of your armor are damaged and eventually fall away. Taking damage directly to the paddle would chip away at your paddle and give you less surface area to work with and eventually you'd lose to health loss. Clicking at the right time would strike the ball with your weapon instead of the paddle, but it has a cooldown and you can be disarmed if you strike too early or too late. Victory conditions would generally be point based or health based (kill the enemy paddle, score enough goals, etc.), with special conditions to unlock weapons/armor/skills(Ex. win without breaking a single piece of armor, hit with your weapon x times, etc.). The final boss would be a wall with absurdly high health.

Not just adding rpg elements to pong, the game would be complete with a top-down 2d map similar to the old zelda games complete with a story, dungeons, treasure, and all the usual stuff.

I would play the shit out of that game.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: January 18, 2013, 12:40:12 pm »

There was a pong MMO kicking around at some point from memory. 

There's also a whole bunch of breakout inspired games which is like singleplayer pong I guess. The better ones are Shatter and Wizorb both of which I think were in a Humble Bundle at some point.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: January 18, 2013, 02:58:04 pm »

For one, Rainbow six: vegas 2's cover system was awesome.

Next, I wish there was some sort of game set in the 18th century where you could make your own custom formations and compositions for units, wouldnt have to be a whole lot of background but some sort of campaign generator would be great in addition to custom battles.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: January 18, 2013, 03:39:36 pm »

I would like to see a Tales of Maj'Eyal that wasn't on Steam. I would also like to see a non-linear sandbox simulation role-playing game that was a cross between The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Fable: The Lost Chapters and The Sims 2 for some reason. I'm not certain how to describe it but perhaps someone else could figure out what I mean by that.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: January 18, 2013, 03:47:31 pm »

I would like to see a Tales of Maj'Eyal that wasn't on Steam.
That game does not exist on Steam. You sir, are cray cray.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: January 19, 2013, 02:32:38 am »

The entire Star Wars Saga recreated in the Jedi Knight II engine. Come on, don't leave us hanging with just two games using that beautiful, beautiful engine. Besides, how long ago was the last non-LEGO Star Wars game that let you play as Luke Skywalker? Battlefront II? Older?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: January 19, 2013, 02:40:46 am »

DONT BE SO CRAY CRAY!
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: January 19, 2013, 07:06:04 am »

Its on the Steam Greenlight. That exposure alone has worsened it's community somewhat and has made it kind of difficult to be in that game and play online at the same time. Also, cray cray? That kind of language makes me hate my generation even more.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: January 19, 2013, 03:12:43 pm »

I know it from Gravity Falls.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: January 19, 2013, 03:16:08 pm »

For one, Rainbow six: vegas 2's cover system was awesome.

Next, I wish there was some sort of game set in the 18th century where you could make your own custom formations and compositions for units, wouldnt have to be a whole lot of background but some sort of campaign generator would be great in addition to custom battles.

Start looking at Total War mods?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: January 19, 2013, 03:34:56 pm »

DONT BE SO CRAY CRAY!
I had to look up what that even means  :P
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: January 19, 2013, 05:18:07 pm »

I would also like to see a non-linear sandbox simulation role-playing game that was a cross between The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Fable: The Lost Chapters and The Sims 2 for some reason. I'm not certain how to describe it but perhaps someone else could figure out what I mean by that.

THIS.

Also, a World War One game (THAT ISN'T BATTLEFIELD 1918) . Preferably First Person, as there is already some good WWI strategy games out there. I want to play something that makes me feel as if I'm reading Alls Quiet On the Western Front.

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: January 25, 2013, 06:53:58 pm »

HellMOO, except in a 3D engine. It doesn't necessarily have to be a Multiplayer game, like the original is.
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 577