Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926692 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #1860 on: February 19, 2013, 12:13:45 am »

Again, we already have computers and robots in space. Namely, every single satellite ever launched. If computers didn't function in vacuum due to lack of air exchange for cooling, then none of our space technology would ever have worked. And yet, it does, some of it for decades now.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: February 19, 2013, 12:17:07 am »

Space doesn't really exist, it was filmed in Hollywood with special effects ::)
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: February 19, 2013, 12:22:34 am »

While we're on the subject of sci-fi, an FPS or RTS where you play as UNIT in the future, and in the later part of the game you fight Daleks

Or UNIT maybe becomes part of UNSC or ONI :D

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: February 19, 2013, 12:30:14 am »

An Assassin's Creed game that genuinely emphasized the stealth and sabotage elements (rather than relying on the enemy's amnesia), and didn't make you play idiotic mini-games. >_>
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: February 19, 2013, 12:41:37 am »

Have you tried the Hitman series? Although you can blaze away through the levels if you want, the game rewards careful planning, hiding in plain sight via disguise, and some of the best ways to eliminate your targets involved acts of sabotage that were virtually untraceable to you. No minigames either, at least not in Blood Money.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: February 19, 2013, 12:42:55 am »

Have you tried the Hitman series? Although you can blaze away through the levels if you want, the game rewards careful planning, hiding in plain sight via disguise, and some of the best ways to eliminate your targets involved acts of sabotage that were virtually untraceable to you. No minigames either, at least not in Blood Money.
It's also freaking hard if you don't play on novice.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: February 19, 2013, 12:45:12 am »

You say that as though it was a bad thing :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: February 19, 2013, 12:45:47 am »

You say that as though it was a bad thing :P
Nah, that was one of the pros :P

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: February 19, 2013, 12:46:05 am »

Again, we already have computers and robots in space. Namely, every single satellite ever launched. If computers didn't function in vacuum due to lack of air exchange for cooling, then none of our space technology would ever have worked. And yet, it does, some of it for decades now.

Like I said, it all depends on the amount of heat lost due to black body radiation.  An android may well produce more heat than a satellite does.
(For reference, if a human is exposed to a vacuum, they'd pretty much boil--except the eyes, lips and tongue, which due to the extreme low pressures the water-liquids on them would evaporate, causing them to freeze).

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: February 19, 2013, 12:48:34 am »

Like I said, it all depends on the amount of heat lost due to black body radiation.  An android may well produce more heat than a satellite does.
(For reference, if a human is exposed to a vacuum, they'd pretty much boil--except the eyes, lips and tongue, which due to the extreme low pressures the water-liquids on them would evaporate, causing them to freeze).
The exposed liquids would boil, but not freeze. The rest of the liquids wouldn't do anything unless you had a cut or something, in which case goodbye blood.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1870 on: February 19, 2013, 12:53:33 am »

The exposed liquids would boil, but not freeze. The rest of the liquids wouldn't do anything unless you had a cut or something, in which case goodbye blood.
Awesome. Can we get this thread back on the rails please?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: February 19, 2013, 01:33:39 am »

The water in your blood would begin expanding, and the nitrogen and other gasses would fall out of solution. It is called embulism, and is very dangerous. Holding your breath might cause the lungs to rupture. Anyway, ten seconds and you're incapacitated, a minute and a half and you're guaranteed fatally damaged.

But enough on that.

A game in a massive procedurally generated network of sewers.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:35:35 am by HugoLuman »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: February 19, 2013, 09:09:38 am »

They would vaporize, yes.  Taking large amounts of HEAT with them.  What you'd be left with would essentially be frozen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD08CuUi_Ek#t=526s

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: February 19, 2013, 10:51:47 am »

I recently put my hands on Red Faction: Guerilla, and with it, there comes an idea. All MMOFPSes right now are pretty much symmetric - whether you are a Marine, or a Muslim insurgent; terrorist or counter-terrorist; Russian or American - it doesn't matter. You have the same - or very similar - weapons and capabilities. And number of participants on both sides is equal. And my dream is about an asymmetric game. Where both sides are vastly different, and struggle for domination on - for example - some planet lost in vast space of Human Empire...

Let's say that there are HEDF (Human Empire Defense Forces) - using numerous, but fragile and not very dangerous robots, who rule with iron fist and utter disregard for citizens; and PFF (Planetary Freedom Fighters) - who are low in numbers, but with technology and power armors and stuff, making each one very dangerous, who try to wrestle the control from HEDF.
PFF players would have one soldier each, gaining technology, weapons, armor and supplies, growing in skill; HEDF players would be brains-in-jars, controlling number of expendable drones; among their upgrades would be military rank, allowing them to control more drones, various upgrades for drone squads and such.
HEDF players would have established bases, convoy routes between them, various outpost and checkpoints, and need to defend them, while searching for PFF players hidden caves, masked camps and little piles of weapons under rocks; to enforce their will on the planet, they would have to create new jars-for-brains, points from which their control over drones can be maintained. Those jars, bases, convoys etc. would be a target for PFF, who would try not only to destroy it all, but also gather whatever they lack - technology and supplies.
Also, massive, Planetside 2 - style servers. HEDF calling reinforcements from distant parts of the planet when under heavy attack (and therefore, feinting attacks to drag the much needed defense elsewhere). Ambushes on jars-transporting convoys. And more dakka, finally.

Well, come to think of it... Procedurally generated new sectors of the planet, as number of players grow? Player-built bases and outposts? Player-driven convoys with actual, useful in-game materials, not just automated every-six-hours convoys? AI citizens - paying taxes to HEDF, but secretly hating them? Who everyone wants to protect... Or at least says so?

Is this only my dream, or someone else thinks alike? :)
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: February 19, 2013, 10:57:14 am »

If someone makes a Warhammer 40K themed Planetside 2, along with the business model and everything, I don't think I'd play anything else for... well, for quite a long time.

Makes me kinda sad Games' Workshop is actively opposed to making money out of their IP.
I've thought this more than once.  Although I do wonder if such a game might have issues when it comes to factions - maybe too many of them to ensure an even spread of population (and the inevitable dismay if they limit it and don't include your favourite(s)).

Oho? They got to that egg before you did. It was in the works, but i think THQ had money troubles and it was changed to an rpg. I dont know whats happened to it in the current toss up though. I'll eat my hat if someone doesn't do something with clang and a moddable space sim when they come out.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:59:48 am by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 577