Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926742 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #2580 on: June 29, 2013, 07:02:27 pm »

More of a mechanic, really, but missile-jousting would be awesome.

FM1, but SHort weapons have 1-X range, Long weapons can't fire at melee range and generally have extreme but donut-shape ranges. Each missile type (including Ballistic, for snipers) can fire in different scenarios and have different ability to track enemies, as well as moving as independent entities. A missile might move extremely fast in a linear path and hit when it's fired, or a slow but highly guided arc that hits a few turns later but will hit unless it's shot down, which is very hard to do.

Also, missile jousting on certain launchers. You can choose "Joust" with the linear missiles- you choose your target and rush at them at high speeds, letting the missile fly at it's normal speed PLUS yours. Ingame this would mean an instant hit at more damage but possibly less accuracy.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: June 30, 2013, 08:38:09 am »

I believe that regenerating health has its place. Let's look at why it was invented.

In the original Halo (and its a great game), they provided energy shields to fix the problem of a game becoming unwinnable. In most previous shooters, you had a limited amount of health, and while there might be medkits and such, they were also finite. You could wind up with a single hitpoint and have no way out of a situation, no matter your skill, other than restarting the entire level/game. And in a fast-paced actiony shooter, that's not exactly fair.

Wh.. why not? It seemed to work fine in Wolf3D, Doom, Quake, and any number of other FPS games prior to the implementation of regenerating health. In fact, I would argue it even adds an additional level of tactics in multiplayer: if you fail to kill your target, you expect that he's going to go find more health or armor instead just hiding in a corner somewhere. If you're familiar with the level, you can anticipate where he might pop up in order to catch him.

How is it not fair? Really, most of the games I've played with medpacks really inundate you with them. Even on hard difficulties. If you get stuck in a place that you can't advance because you lost too much life... I guess you'll have to... play better? Why is demanding the player to restart the level so odious as to be avoided? I can understand from a certain point that it may break immersion, but in that respect regenerating health (and in fact any kind of health recovery) can break immersion. I can understand slightly better if there's an unavoidable environmental hazard, but then that's just bad level design if the environmental hazard is unavoidable (otherwise it's just a... penalty, in the form of level design, not necessarily environmental nor a hazard, which each imply avoidability).

Taken slightly further, the concept of health restoration (whether via kits or regeneration) is only an abstraction to give the player some leeway in making mistakes. In fact, the regeneration mechanic can make sense if you take a slightly different tack: rather than define as damage the player takes, from which the player recovers, define it instead as the player's "panic" level: it's not so much that he just took a bullet to the head, it's that the bullet came really close to taking out his head, and that freaked you out something fierce. In that respect, taking a few seconds to breathe and calm down before popping out again can make better sense than actually regenerating health, and even implications for becoming more stoic in the face of a bulletstorm. Of course, such an interpretation requires refinement to function well in a wargame.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: June 30, 2013, 09:15:40 am »

In fact, the regeneration mechanic can make sense if you take a slightly different tack: rather than define as damage the player takes, from which the player recovers, define it instead as the player's "panic" level: it's not so much that he just took a bullet to the head, it's that the bullet came really close to taking out his head, and that freaked you out something fierce. In that respect, taking a few seconds to breathe and calm down before popping out again can make better sense than actually regenerating health, and even implications for becoming more stoic in the face of a bulletstorm. Of course, such an interpretation requires refinement to function well in a wargame.
* Sirus takes notes
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: June 30, 2013, 10:52:57 am »

I'd like to see a mechanic where taking damage in areas makes you worse off. Getting shot in the arm makes your aim SUCK, for instance, and healthpacks are the only way- they take time to use and don't work all at once.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: June 30, 2013, 10:58:01 am »

I know that in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, taking damage to different body parts affects them in various ways. They can only be healed with the game's version of health kits. However, the kits do not take time to use.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: June 30, 2013, 11:21:59 am »

I'd like to see a mechanic where taking damage in areas makes you worse off. Getting shot in the arm makes your aim SUCK, for instance, and healthpacks are the only way- they take time to use and don't work all at once.
I think that Operation Flashpoint has that.  Exept that you use a first aid kit to stop the bleeding.  Can't remember how it functions after that. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: June 30, 2013, 11:22:49 am »

I know that in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, taking damage to different body parts affects them in various ways. They can only be healed with the game's version of health kits. However, the kits do not take time to use.
an inferior version of the way it worked in 1&2, where you had to visit a doctor or use your own doctor skill (which could fail) to heal crippling injuries

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: June 30, 2013, 11:30:27 am »

Another game with this is Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. When you get hurt, you can take damage to either one or both of your legs, your arms your head and possibly your torso. Your torso I think causes more bleeding while a broken leg(s) impedes your movement speed, arms lowers your accuracy and head injuries causes ringing and blurred vision like a concussion. You use medical kits to heal injuries, which come with sutures, splints and morphine for different injury types (broken limb, cuts and bleeding).

Healing takes a little while, but the games not really frantic enough for it to become an issue during combat.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: June 30, 2013, 05:22:25 pm »

A game that's set in a generic action movie, that tracks health as "luck".  While you're getting shot at, your luck goes down based on your range to enemies and which weapons they're using.  Instead of actually tracking bullets the game fakes it (either by giving the gunman really bad aim or quietly changing the path of the bullet) so that they never hit you until your luck runs out and you get killed by a single accurate shot to the head/torso.

So basically normal FPS health, but without all the ridiculousness of the main character getting shot dozens of times and surviving.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: June 30, 2013, 05:26:23 pm »

A game that's set in a generic action movie, that tracks health as "luck".  While you're getting shot at, your luck goes down based on your range to enemies and which weapons they're using.  Instead of actually tracking bullets the game fakes it (either by giving the gunman really bad aim or quietly changing the path of the bullet) so that they never hit you until your luck runs out and you get killed by a single accurate shot to the head/torso.

So basically normal FPS health, but without all the ridiculousness of the main character getting shot dozens of times and surviving.
Bonus points if the protagonist is like the pair of Americans from CoD4. If you don't know, basically massively egotistical and self-centred with little concern for anything else, but consider themselves to absolutely be the hot shit on the battleground.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: June 30, 2013, 05:56:20 pm »

Maybe you should be able to spend luck to get bonuses, so you can do superhuman action movie stunts, ala Crysis. Get extra strength and jump through a plate glass window while tackling a SWAT officer, then get extra accuracy so you can blow up that gas tank on a moving car.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: June 30, 2013, 07:50:21 pm »

A game with all the parts of Cosmic Break, possibly with an easy online community for parts creation.

To sum this up, I have a varied team of mecha when I play. I have a fast, hovering Artillery, it's sun-themed weapons causing explosions all the time. It's got a booster that allows it to backflip out of harm's way.

I also have an extremely fast two-legged hardsuit with giant wheels for feet. It carries a high-power rifle and can play melee when it has to. It's like Chrome- you can do whatever you want with it, but under the hood, it has speed. That's about it.

Next is Blood Drive. What do you get when your giant mecha actually average to be human-size? A nurse with wheels for legs and psychic guns. It's the next logical step.

Have I mentioned the hardsuit-clad girl with massive boosters like rocket engines and wrist psyguns.

Or the massive spider-like fisticuffs drone that was handed a double-gatling gun and still PUNCHES his enemies with it?

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: July 02, 2013, 10:09:01 am »

I think this has been done before, but I don't know what it was called. I read about it on TVTropes and I think it was set in one of the world wars.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: July 02, 2013, 10:40:40 am »

TBS with a "fatigue" mechanic. If you overwork your units, their stats drop considerably or they lose a turn.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: July 02, 2013, 08:14:26 pm »

Guns of Icarus + FTL

You and some amount of other people crew a space ship from a first person perspective.  The spaceship does most of the fighting but you keep it running from the inside by controlling systems, repairing damage, and fighting off boarders, while attempting to blow up or board enemy ships.

I'd just like to announce that this is being developed by people who have no relationship to me.

Check out the devs showing off the under development mod here.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 577