Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926706 times)

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #2700 on: July 17, 2013, 06:41:22 pm »

I'd like to see a game where vehicles/equipment are constructed and maintained by the players in a multiplayer environment.
Having (not necessarily realistic) physics decide the functioning of your stuff rather than relying on numerical stats. I honestly think it's possible on a limited scale today (not on MY computer, but on higher end ones) to do something like this. Combat in such a game would probably be slow and "clunky", but would have a lot of strategic depth. The equipment and procedures you use would be more important than the twitch skills of the players.

A pipe, a slide-out joint along it's length attaching it to a metal block with a spring-loaded pin ending with a knob going through the block. A latch attaches the pipe and block. Six preprogrammed items. Designate grip points on the pipe and knob, push and pull actions for the pipe relative to the block, a toggle for the latch, a 'load zone' in the back of the pipe, and a pull and release action for the knob. You now have a primitive breech-loading cannon or shotgun. Throw some tags on it so player's scripts know what it is.

Now, you could either Receiver it out with radial menus/keyboard shortcuts, or macro them. A simple 'shotgun' script for it could be:
Change grip mode to normal.   (You hold the item in front of you aimlessly, and let the computer take care of where you place your hands)
Toggle latch.   (Action implied by primitive)
Pull pipe-block.   (Action specified by item maker)
Take "Load".   (Grabs anything in the zone 'Load' and puts it in your inventory.)
Item "20x70mmLow" in zone 'Load'.   (Takes the first item with the tag "20x70mmLow" in your inventory, and attempts to cram it in the predefined zone. You did make sure to tag compatible ammo, and ONLY compatible ammo, right?)
Push pipe-block.   (Action specified by item maker)
Toggle latch.   (Action implied by primitive)
Change grip mode to point.   (Holding item with it's "front end" pointed in your aim direction with your hands on the points specified by the item maker)
Wait for left click.
Pull-release knob.   (Action specified by item maker, possible because a hand is on the knob and the other is holding the pipe)
Wait 1/8th of a second.
Repeat this script.

Looks complicated, but it's just 11 simple instructions.
The character should hold the gun out, unlock and open it (precalculated animations done at crafting time), put whatever's in it into inventory (displaying a warning if there is nothing to get), put a shell from inventory into it, close and lock it, point it forward like a weapon, and then wait for the player to click. When the player clicks, the character should execute one last action which starts the only part with heavy realtime physics simulation.
The item that was loaded is hopefully some kind of explosive. The pin in the gun intersects the item with significant force, causing the item to be 'woken up'. A check is run for any effects of a sharp impact from the back. If there is none, the item is put back into sleep mode. If it's a shotgun shell, obviously, a large portion of it explodes. This occurs in a pipe with one closed side, so, assuming the pipe and end blockage have the strength to survive it, instead of spawning a proportional explosion object, the parts of the item in front of the explosion are moved to the end of the pipe and given velocity proportional to the pressure and pipe length. These components are now projectiles, with all the physics simulation that entails.
Then the script restarts itself.

For the end user, the makeshift shotgun is simply an item with an ammo type and a script. While the script is running, the character loads the gun and fires it at whatever is clicked, returning any remnants of the shells to the inventory manually.

I could spend all day making items in a game like that...

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: July 17, 2013, 07:05:53 pm »

As far as the sanity mechanics go, I would like to add one more idea - you are all actually thinking that being completely sane is good, and being completely insane bad (on Bay 12 Forums? Really, guys?) and I see it differently. Sanity could be not a gauge - full or empty - but a slider. Less sane characters would actually see more of the world behind the Veil; they would see devils and horrors for what they are, but, unfortunately, they would also see themselves and objects in the world warped. Like the never-know-your-health effect, or enemy markers and quest markers all messed up. The perfectly sane characters wouldn't have any trouble with this, but on the other hand, they would perceive potential threats as normal, everyday things, having they brains filter the impossible from the world around them...

Sanity kind of works that way in Don't Starve, although it also has a healthy helping of "bad" to it too.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: July 17, 2013, 08:15:23 pm »

Dragon's Dogma, without everything that makes Dragon's Dogma annoying.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: July 17, 2013, 11:42:39 pm »

I have to admit that while it works decently well for Lovecraftian horror stuff, I'm not a fan of sanity as a game mechanic in general.  The only way to implement it is the stuff like what's been described so far -- completely schizophrenic breaking with reality.  But we all know that's not really how insanity works.  I'm pretty sure extreme hallucinations are a relatively rare and usually minor component of mental illness.  It's more likely to do with disruption or subversion of sensible thought processes, but that's a much more difficult thing to portray.  So we end up with stuff like "Something bad happened and now you're completely incapable of perceiving reality!"
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: July 18, 2013, 01:17:35 pm »

A cosmic horror game by Bethesda using one of the Elder Scrolls engines. Giant monsters, creeping things, things that don't die when you stab them, tentacles, all that fun stuff. Plus open world, lots of easy modability, and bugs that might help or hinder the player, or make them laugh or freak out. They could even add in a few things that seem like bugs but are there intentionally like Eternal Darkness did. Textures tearing, things shooting off at in a random direction, and NPCs that fall into the depths of the uncanny valley could add to the atmosphere.

The setting would either be modern times with magic and Things-Man-Was-Not-Meant-To-Know coming back or after an apocalypse caused by the afore mentioned event. I'm a bit torn between wanting magic and technology to work together (lots more possible bugs) or for them to cancel each other out (like in Arcanum). Either way there would be lots of magic arms and armor and lots of firearms.

Firearms would be like in Fallout 3/NV but with the scale going higher so things like this would be used at higher levels instead of the puny .50BMG. Some relatively common monsters would be big enough to need that much firepower.

Magic would cost sanity to use. Low sanity would cause hallucinations like seeing something that's not there, seeing things as something they're not, and animation failures.

There would be some monsters that would seem unbeatable. Extremely fast regeneration, high hit points, tough armor, or a combination of those would make defeating them seem impossible. True cosmic horrors that can only be run from. Players will probably find bugs or make mods that let them beat the impossible horrors but that's fine. It fits perfectly with the theme for players to defeat them using something else that should not be.
All my yes.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #2705 on: July 18, 2013, 01:43:54 pm »

Basicly want A game where your can build your own worlds, and then blow em up.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: July 18, 2013, 02:18:52 pm »

This idea has been consuming my soul all since I've been playing Victoria 2.

Dominions 3 and Victoria 2. Maybe a little CK2. No EU3 or HOI3.

Not a straight copy of vicky2, maybe a tiny bit simpler to make room for the magic and more complicated combat but otherwise close.

Dom3 has long lacked an interesting economy and tech system. And it would be amazing with real time with pause.

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: July 18, 2013, 11:05:24 pm »

Basically an expanded Alter Ego. It would be awesome if it had these features, though.
  • You could have your character move into a different town or city, and each would have different traits. Do you move to the city for the jobs, or to the small towns for their general safety?
  • Your character could lose or gain different traits themselves as they go on in life.
  • High-risk careers. Being a police officer, criminal, or even a  military draftee might pay very well, but you never know when you will get injured...

Heck, I'd even be happy if there were only more experiences added to, well, experience!
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: July 19, 2013, 05:33:35 am »

-stuff-
I could spend all day making items in a game like that...
I'd play Supreme Commander in a game like that...
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:lute]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: July 19, 2013, 06:09:04 am »

Basically an expanded Alter Ego. It would be awesome if it had these features, though.
  • You could have your character move into a different town or city, and each would have different traits. Do you move to the city for the jobs, or to the small towns for their general safety?
  • Your character could lose or gain different traits themselves as they go on in life.
  • High-risk careers. Being a police officer, criminal, or even a  military draftee might pay very well, but you never know when you will get injured...

Heck, I'd even be happy if there were only more experiences added to, well, experience!
The experiences aren't as in depth, and as far as I know, it doesn't cover your last bullet point, but you might want to check out Real Lives. I think the best way to describe the difference between the two is that while Alter-Ego is similar to a "Choose your own adventure" Real Lives plays more like a simulator.

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: July 19, 2013, 07:18:27 am »

I want a GTA-like game that takes place in a utopia where crime and poverty has been been completely eliminated... except for you.   Your character would go around committing crimes and just generally messing up the utopia, and by the end it would have degraded into a horrible dystopia.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: July 19, 2013, 11:03:38 am »

I want a GTA-like game that takes place in a utopia where crime and poverty has been been completely eliminated... except for you.   Your character would go around committing crimes and just generally messing up the utopia, and by the end it would have degraded into a horrible dystopia.

The game would be titled  "You are a Bad Person and Should Feel Bad"
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: July 22, 2013, 01:55:45 pm »

This.

Also, a MLP MOBA/ARTS (DOTALIKE GODDAMNIT) with this kind of art style.
What? I think that you accepted the fact I'm a brony at this point, and let's be honest, you know want it.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: July 22, 2013, 05:50:41 pm »

This.

Also, a MLP MOBA/ARTS (DOTALIKE GODDAMNIT) with this kind of art style.
What? I think that you accepted the fact I'm a brony at this point, and let's be honest, you know want it.
If anything like that gets made it must be FE. 

After playing a good bit of Ace Combat Zero, I want a continuation of the idea.  A RPG where, instead of having a karma meter set in a slide, only affected by dialogue, you have one that is affected largely by your actions.  Sure, you could call in an air strike on your target, but what about the civilians surrounding him?  Or you could try to snipe him, but then you'd have to set up an effective position, avoid the people behind him, and escape detection.  Or you could find a third option, blackmail, threats, or simple persuasion.  And this wouldn't just affect you're score, or give you a good or bad ending.  No, if you make a habit of backstabbing, then you will have a hard time making deals.  If you break into a office gun blazing, then the other factions will invest in tougher guards.    If you sneak in, then they will invest in smaller air vents.      If you use any one route to often, then it will become increasingly harder to do that route. 
Another way it will be affected is how you treat people.  If you go through without killing anyone, but they spot you, then they can report to their superiors.  If you kill everyone, and leave no evidence, then they won't be able to respond to your specific techniques, but will fight much harder.  So that part will be set up akin to how Toady is doing his combat right no, with things like No Quarter. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 577