Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929243 times)

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #3240 on: October 22, 2013, 06:13:48 pm »

Once I was in a supermarket, and had an idea strike me - a FPS game set in big supermarket with killer foodstuffs used as weapons. This idea stems from fighting with my girlfriend using baguettes and a bottle of kamikaze Pepsi that once exploded in my backpack, giving me rough idea of the weaponry. There would be two types of weapons: melee weapons, which could be used for quick kills from behind (imagine sticking a baguette into someone's back and getting it all bloody out on the other side) or to old-school face to face fight, and thrown weapons, which are ranged, but can't score insta-kills from behind and you can only carry a very limited amount of ammo (you can imagine a can of soda shaken before throwing to act as a acid grenade, or bag of peanuts as frag grenade). Fast respawn, high kill threshold to win the match, and free-for-all as basic mode.
Your Tesco visit will never be the same from now on.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: October 22, 2013, 07:21:29 pm »

Now I'm just curious what sparked the fight with your girlfriend :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: October 23, 2013, 01:10:34 am »

Well, it wasn't a real fight - we are just strange people and having an item resembling a weapon lead us to making fun of BlindKitty the Knight, and it somehow spiraled down from there. :D
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: October 23, 2013, 07:36:40 am »

I want a Team Fortress 2 that isn't a first-person shooter. First person view is disorienting to me, as is third person. I'd like it if it were a top-down perspective. Never going to happen though.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: October 23, 2013, 07:40:05 am »

I want a Team Fortress 2 that isn't a first-person shooter. First person view is disorienting to me, as is third person. I'd like it if it were a top-down perspective. Never going to happen though.

Did you check out Gang Garrison? It's a demake of TF2 in side-scrolling 2D.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: October 23, 2013, 09:35:24 am »

I always wanted to have a space game where you take control of a customizable ship and just fly around the galaxy doing your thing. Kinda like a roguelike.
Closest thing I found was Drox Operative, but that got boring REAL fast due to insane amounts of grind.

Also theres this early access thing on steam called Starpoint Gemini that looks promising, but I'll wait till that's actually finished, because I have issues enough with PC games that AREN'T in beta.

Indeed, I do this.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: October 23, 2013, 09:43:58 am »

I always wanted to have a space game where you take control of a customizable ship and just fly around the galaxy doing your thing. Kinda like a roguelike.
Closest thing I found was Drox Operative, but that got boring REAL fast due to insane amounts of grind.

Also theres this early access thing on steam called Starpoint Gemini that looks promising, but I'll wait till that's actually finished, because I have issues enough with PC games that AREN'T in beta.

Space Rangers 2? You can't customize your ship beyond buying different hulls and equipping different weapons/shields/engines/misc, but you can definitely just fly around doing your own thing.
Feeling down? Click Here!

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: October 23, 2013, 10:23:56 am »

Although it has a campaign, Freelancer is close to this. Not very roguelike, though (well, most roguelikes have little leeway in how you progress, almost the polar opposite of sandbox). The mod community is still, last I heard a few years ago, still pretty active with servers offering factions (player and NPC) and PvP combat and rudimentary trading.

Actually, other than its controls and the fact that it's not a sim game, EVE is pretty much exactly what you're asking for.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: October 23, 2013, 10:54:06 am »

For all those space games look up for spacesector.com.

There's is an awful lot of games coming this Christmas and next year that are basically RPG sandboxes in space. Of special mention is Mandate (currently starting on kickstarter), X Rebirth, and extra especially Star Citizen.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: October 23, 2013, 12:52:08 pm »

Eh? Star Citizen is coming out this Christmas? That's hard to believe. And also, last I heard the first "module" from Star Citizen to be going live will be that single-player "Squadron 42" or something thing.
Feeling down? Click Here!

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: October 23, 2013, 08:30:36 pm »

Its a really rough idea, but here goes.

"An RPG/Civ game"
Okay, so the game has two modes.   In "World" mode you choose a faction. Each faction has a certain goal. Stuff like destroy everything, bring the world under one religion, recapture a sacred land and revive a dead god, or just conquer the world. There are tech trees, and resources and stuff to capture. You can build cities, and determine the overall layout. Units cost certain amounts of gold/resources and require certain facilities to make. You make individual units, and fit them into squads.  In  World mode combat is a standard "rock paper scissors" sort of thing. Archers can plink at range, You need catapults to bust down walls. That sort of thing. However, Factions can hire out heros. Heroes are different from standard units in that they can level up and are generally much stronger than normal units. However, they are fairly unpredictable. They have there own goals and motivations. They can be loyal or they could ditch you when the going gets tough. You can give them titles, gold, equipment, and party members. Sounds kinda like your HoMM style games, right?

In the RPG mode, you make a character. Select its race and such, and choose what town you want to start it. From there it plays like a normal RPG, but the game has a calender. A certain number of "days" is a turn in Civ mode. And the things that happen in the "Civ mode" of the game, can affect the player in the RPG mode. They could suddenly find themselves in a city under siege. Or watch an army clash in the plains. They can be bystanders and just try to survive in a chaotic world(or just a mundane one), or activly influence whats going on. RPG mode is kinda of like a rougelike in that it only ends if the player dies(and that includes if a civ manages to pull off an end of the world scenario).

Basically RPG mode is you playing as a guy in a game of Civilization on autopilot.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: October 23, 2013, 09:10:33 pm »

I'd suggest a look at Prospector.  It's a decent game, very much a rougelike, and you get to run around in a spaceship.  My favorite part is probably being able to call in fire support from your ship.  "indigenous lifeforms think they can take on me?  I NEED FIRE SUPPORT NOW" 
Unfortunately last I've heard it hasn't been updated in over a year, is very much buggy, and after you get a fully decked battleship there isn't much to do.  However, before that you could be a trader, smuggler, stock marketer, pirate, pirate hunter, explorer, prospector, or a cartographer.  Nothing like getting biosamples by use of battleship mounted rocket launchers.   You can also outfit your crew of redshirts (they are referred to as such) with "loyalty" chips bought on the black market.   Those are always fun.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: October 23, 2013, 09:38:41 pm »

Why don't we take that concept into the areas of "crossplay done right"?

Basically, a console Civ/MMO where player actions affect what it's like on mobile users.

If publishers want to force simul-play between a flagship console and peon mobile devices that cannot compare to the console, then let them. Every player's actions will affect the world the mobile users experience.

There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: October 23, 2013, 10:43:22 pm »

Actually, other than its controls and the fact that it's not a sim game, EVE is pretty much exactly what you're asking for.
Guh, EVE. I played that, and while well KINDA, I found that the Zero Punctuation review of it said it right: That its basically space travel for stockbrokers or pencil pushers.

Also I now remember another game I play that did this in an epic way. Star Trek Online.
Which while I AM a Star Trek fan, it would be nice to have that kinda gameplay in a world not associated with a current IP.

As for this:
-snip-
Isn't this basically DWARF FUCKING FORTRESS????

Indeed, I do this.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: October 24, 2013, 06:16:58 am »

Not really, though I can't say DF hadn't influenced the idea. The world goes static when you enter Dwarf or Adventure mode. My idea is more like playing DF as Legends are genning except legends will gen as a you play, and what happens will affect what the player will see and can do in the RPG.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 577