Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929356 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #3870 on: April 01, 2014, 04:02:42 pm »

I don't know what kind of game it would be, though I'm partial to 16-bit Zelda-like adventures, but I want a game in which all of the characters speak in verse. Every character would have his own style, of course. The Hero would speak in heroic couplets, the villain in a pretentious classical meter, like dactylic hexameter, and the regular npc's in common meter. There could be fairies who speak free verse, angels and demons who speak blank verse a la Milton, and long winded wizards spouting fourteeners! Half the fun would be talking to the npc's, naturally, and, if it caught on, it would provide jobs for many an impoverished writer in the new genre it would found! And it would seal the place of video games in the art world, and maybe even revive a modern interest in writing epics!

;D
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: April 01, 2014, 06:03:42 pm »

I am astounded and utterly appalled that there is no Star Wars dogfight simulator. With online multiplayer and full flight stick support. Even if it were essentially a mod for that Il-2 game. I want to shoot down TIE fighters, dammit.
Yes, there's the old Rogue Squadron games for the consoles, but it's high time for a solid PC game.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: April 01, 2014, 06:04:20 pm »

I am astounded and utterly appalled that there is no Star Wars dogfight simulator. With online multiplayer and full flight stick support. Even if it were essentially a mod for that Il-2 game. I want to shoot down TIE fighters, dammit.
Yes, there's the old Rogue Squadron games for the consoles, but it's high time for a solid PC game.
Battlefront 2 has spacebattles.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: April 01, 2014, 06:06:34 pm »

I want a paleolithic survival adventure game. Early humanity trying to survive in a sort of age of myth kind of setting, where all those horrors they painted on the cave walls actually existed.
Horrors such deers and mammoths? I'm sorry, but I've never seen "horrors" painted on cave walls. Not that I'm a particular fan of cave art, perhaps you could enlighten me because this sounds like an awesome idea for a game.

I have thought of such game too, but on "realistic" conditions (no myth creatures). As a strategy game of such with a permanent world where you start from a small tribe where you have to option of settling down or keep roving and ending by the age of bronze or something like that. Then expansions would take it from there up to the classical age, then middle ages, renascence and so on. Each expansion being save compatible. Sort of Europa Universalis, with more details, strategic turn based and real time tactic battles. I think I already put that idea in this thread somewhere.
That sounds more like Sid Meier's Civ to me.

I was thinking more like a survival-adventure game, where you play as in individual (perhaps with some companions) and roam around, perhaps being separated from your original group for some reason. As for horrors, paleolithic imagination basically extended to thinking up monsters that had all the worst bits of other animals.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: April 01, 2014, 06:17:14 pm »

The old Tie Fighter and X-Wing games were on PC and quite fun.

There is a new one in beta, actually, but it is a browser based game and honestly not that great. Better than nothing, I suppose, but it hardly feels like a good simulation of flying an x-wing from the bit that I played.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: April 01, 2014, 06:24:20 pm »

I want a paleolithic survival adventure game. Early humanity trying to survive in a sort of age of myth kind of setting, where all those horrors they painted on the cave walls actually existed.
Horrors such deers and mammoths? I'm sorry, but I've never seen "horrors" painted on cave walls. Not that I'm a particular fan of cave art, perhaps you could enlighten me because this sounds like an awesome idea for a game.

I have thought of such game too, but on "realistic" conditions (no myth creatures). As a strategy game of such with a permanent world where you start from a small tribe where you have to option of settling down or keep roving and ending by the age of bronze or something like that. Then expansions would take it from there up to the classical age, then middle ages, renascence and so on. Each expansion being save compatible. Sort of Europa Universalis, with more details, strategic turn based and real time tactic battles. I think I already put that idea in this thread somewhere.

I was thinking more like a survival-adventure game, where you play as in individual (perhaps with some companions) and roam around, perhaps being separated from your original group for some reason. As for horrors, paleolithic imagination basically extended to thinking up monsters that had all the worst bits of other animals.

We could have bunyips and wendigos; native american and aboriginal lore is a bestiary waiting to be mined.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: April 01, 2014, 06:25:18 pm »

Which are fun, but not what I'm wishing for. Battlefront 2 is really arcadey; damage you take doesn't actually affect you in any way until you explode. I want something more hardcore, where a blaster cannon can get shot off or an engine can get knocked offline. If a fighter has an astromech droid, I want to be able to manually command it to try and fix certain things. Stuff like that.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3877 on: April 01, 2014, 07:06:35 pm »

Which are fun, but not what I'm wishing for. Battlefront 2 is really arcadey; damage you take doesn't actually affect you in any way until you explode. I want something more hardcore, where a blaster cannon can get shot off or an engine can get knocked offline. If a fighter has an astromech droid, I want to be able to manually command it to try and fix certain things. Stuff like that.
ABSOLUTELY. Battlefront 2 just doesn't do it for me.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: April 01, 2014, 07:22:19 pm »

i'm working on it, but it's going to take some time.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: April 02, 2014, 07:06:01 am »

More than a pure Civ game it would be sort of a combination of Civ with Total War and Company of Heroes/Dawn of War.

I imagine it like a Civilization kind of map dotted with the best aspects of Total War campaign map, with real time battles that are a mix of Total War and Company of Heroes for latter ages. And everything highly customizable, both in-game and by modding it.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: April 02, 2014, 07:18:51 am »

There is an update mod for X-Wing: Alliance, though since I don't own that game I don't know everything it does. I do know it improves model and texture quality though. It's called "X-Wing: Alliance Upgrade".
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: April 02, 2014, 07:25:53 am »

An FPS where the melee handles like Bioshock's wrench and the shooting controls like Far Cry 3. The impossible part of this is that it's a 40K FPS.

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: April 02, 2014, 07:45:17 am »

I'd just be happy with a good 40k FPS with all factions as playable options, or failing that, just IG, with all factions as potential enemies in the campaigns.

I'd see the latter coming out being more likely, because I think Necrons would be somewhat overpowered to play as.

*one hit kill* *one hit kill* *one hit kill* *die, revive instantly* *one hit kill*

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: April 02, 2014, 08:33:08 am »

There is an update mod for X-Wing: Alliance, though since I don't own that game I don't know everything it does. I do know it improves model and texture quality though. It's called "X-Wing: Alliance Upgrade".

Well worth getting in my opinion - it improves it significantly.
There's also this Freespace 2 mod:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-the-original-trilogy-mod

FS2 is also free (freefreespace2!) so it's completely free and well worth a go. Not true dogfighting, but definitely as close as you can get at the moment.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: April 02, 2014, 08:53:43 am »

I would be happy if I could mod Dark Crusade enough to make it more challenging and the battles more fun. Instead of having command and conquer economy you would get there with limited resources and try to make the most of it.

If you play His Most Glorious Imperial Guard then you land on Victory Bay with a fixed amount of guardsmen, vehicles and supplies divided up in regiments and whatnot. Before you attack any region you must choose which companies, regiments and assets in general you will commit to the assault and then you go to battle with just that. You could call in for reinforcements during battle if you have troops on neighbor regions and transports to bring them, also possibly those basilisks could provide fire support from nearby regions too.

As the campaign goes on you could request more men, vehicles and supply for them and depending on your performance and random events you could get them or not or even found them among the planet (capturing and defending those factories now really is important as is getting the support of locals to draft into the lines).

On the field you could deploy some quick structures but that's it. True defensive buildings and HQ's and such would be built once you conquered the region. In addition, during battles your men would have limited ammo (the enemy as well) and vehicles limited ammo and fuel too.

After battle you could get back some of the loses as repaired vehicles and men getting patch back together.

Squads, battalions, regiments, divisions, companies or whatever that survive get experience and small bonus out of it. Lossing men and replacing them with fresh meat will mean reducing the overall experience of the unit.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:23:06 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 577