Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929636 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #4290 on: August 05, 2014, 02:52:26 pm »

A SNES-style JRPG where you build and change the surroundings, but not like multiple choice, or as in Elona where you sorta just paint your home tiles for free. More like The Unreal World, but simpler resource/inventory management (no cutting and hauling hundreds of tree logs for days).

Not sure if there should be a point in the building part, other than showing off your stuff. Maybe you get special furniture in dungeons or from quests.

EDIT: And and... your house has a footprint that is smaller on the outside just like RPGs. But the number of blocks you set on the outside affect the internal dimensions, or sumthin. Like you get a 2x3 blocks and you build and it looks like it's expanding on the outside, but still looks like a home from Pokemon on the outside.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 02:54:12 pm by Sergius »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: August 05, 2014, 03:30:29 pm »

A SNES-style JRPG where you build and change the surroundings, but not like multiple choice, or as in Elona where you sorta just paint your home tiles for free. More like The Unreal World, but simpler resource/inventory management (no cutting and hauling hundreds of tree logs for days).

Not sure if there should be a point in the building part, other than showing off your stuff. Maybe you get special furniture in dungeons or from quests.

EDIT: And and... your house has a footprint that is smaller on the outside just like RPGs. But the number of blocks you set on the outside affect the internal dimensions, or sumthin. Like you get a 2x3 blocks and you build and it looks like it's expanding on the outside, but still looks like a home from Pokemon on the outside.
That last part would be really hard to imitate with 8-bit graphics.
._.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: August 06, 2014, 12:16:22 am »

I thought the SNES was 16-bit.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: August 06, 2014, 05:48:28 am »

Two rather rough ideas:

- A multiplayer version of The Escapists (aka the reverse Prison Architect) where you have multiple people playing as both the inmates and guards (possibly with some AI thrown in for good measure), having seperate routines and quotas and such to be fulfilled during the day, with the goal being that inmates have to escape and the guards must stop them from doing that.

- A drop-in, drop-out MOBA with a permadeath system ie. you die, you get replaced by another player in the queue. If your team wins, you win, even if you were replaced by someone else. It would need to be simplified in a lot of aspects though.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: August 06, 2014, 01:29:38 pm »

- A drop-in, drop-out MOBA with a permadeath system ie. you die, you get replaced by another player in the queue. If your team wins, you win, even if you were replaced by someone else. It would need to be simplified in a lot of aspects though.
That's genius. That would stop people from bitching about ELO hell. I'd fund it.
._.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: August 06, 2014, 02:34:07 pm »

I don't know what ELO hell is, but except for the win even if you were replaced part (It's MOBA, not MAFIA), it sounds perfect.
Maybe when you die, you earn points based on how close your team was to victory instead. That way if you re-enter the queue and get back in the game on the other team, you don't win no matter what. And of course actually being there when you win earns you the most points.
And then these points can be spent on unlocking more characters or customization options.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: August 06, 2014, 06:54:32 pm »

Of course the game would have the issue that it would require a constant flow of players to keep the queues going, but I can definitely also see AI bots working as a solid (hopefully) solution to that issue.

And some means of preventing people from tailoring their hero/build/something specificically to counter the enemy team. (and the issues like joining a late game as a hard carry ie. letting you buy/level all your OP stats and items and mop the floor with the poor sods who may or may not have been stomping your team for the past several minutes, I guess.)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: August 06, 2014, 08:03:01 pm »

So this is how I interpreted this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think those design philosophies would fit your criteria. And I think it sounds fun, and it's quite possibly designed for a fast pace.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: August 07, 2014, 12:26:06 am »

That last part would be really hard to imitate with 8-bit graphics.

Nah, something like this:

Yep, that's correct :)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: August 07, 2014, 06:37:42 am »

So this is how I interpreted this:

I think those design philosophies would fit your criteria. And I think it sounds fun, and it's quite possibly designed for a fast pace.

It's pretty close to what I had in mind (which is to say, not all that much, I just randomly dropped this idea in a Skype group chat I'm in yesterday).

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4300 on: August 07, 2014, 02:08:47 pm »

I had a dream in which you could unlock new abilities by forming relations with people.
If your disposition towards them was positive, you could get powers that mirrored or complemented theirs. If negative, you'd get powers that counteract theirs.
I think that would be cool to have in a game.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: August 07, 2014, 03:34:51 pm »

Divinity: Original Sin sorta does that.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: August 07, 2014, 11:59:32 pm »

I have another interesting idea for a MOBA that may or may not blend well with the previous idea.
Basically, there are 2 key differences.

1. The creeps/minions are actually very dangerous early game - Most heroes would not be able to clear a wave solo early on.
2. The games are bigger - maybe 8v8, with a much larger jungle area, and 4 lanes. There's more players, but there are also more roles that need to be filled.

So the meta could be something like a minion clearer top - a unique role designed to kill or disable minion waves. Then, there would be two in each mid row - There'd need to be a minion support - another new role, designed to buff minions and shift their aggro, and a regular support in the other lanes. Accompanying the two sups would be typical AD and AP carries. Down bot would be a fighter/tank. The jungle would consist of a team of two heroes - One, a tank, the other a high damage assassin. This is to cope with the significantly increased monster power in the jungle.

I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: August 08, 2014, 12:27:49 am »

Divinity: Original Sin sorta does that.

Also Saints Row IV, I think :D

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: August 08, 2014, 04:38:22 am »

CPU architecture and graphics architecture are separate things. You can still have 8 bit graphics on a 16 bit machine. Just count the maximum number of colors on screen. 256 = 8 bit. SNES was mainly 8bpp max, but there was a weird 11bpp "direct color" mode with 4 bits for the red and green channels, and 3 bits for the blue channel. Definitely not full 16 bit graphics though, it's not even "full" 8 bit color (3 color channels of 8 bits each).

VGA for example was 8 bit graphics, even though it was most often running on a 32 bit CPU architecture.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 04:48:21 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 577