Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926886 times)

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #4710 on: November 24, 2014, 10:25:36 am »

A first perspective game where you are crewing a large space cruiser as an engineer in war time. As the ship is pummeled by enemy fire, it's your job to help keep it from falling apart. As you progress you expand your skills and tools to meet new challenges. You go from a low level wrench monkey to chief of engineering directing repair crews to combat explosive decompression, fires, cut power lines and so on. Combine with some RPG elements and a bit of a plot.
I'd play that.
As would I. Maybe add some multiplayer stuff?
Yeah! Set up a twenty person server, establish a system of hierarchy and then the entire engineering crew is made up of gamers. It would not be a question of how quickly you fix the ship. It would be a question of how long it takes for the crew to fall to infighting. I would play the shit out of that.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #4711 on: November 24, 2014, 11:22:26 pm »

In response to this

I almost want to know what a police officer roguelike would be like, but mundane police officer duties combined with a text interface might put me to sleep. Maybe something more exciting would work, like a riot officer or SWAT team.

...Actually, that last one sounds fun. Something like SWAT 4 but with even more detailed simulation and random levels and objectives.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4712 on: November 25, 2014, 08:20:59 am »

A first perspective game where you are crewing a large space cruiser as an engineer in war time. As the ship is pummeled by enemy fire, it's your job to help keep it from falling apart. As you progress you expand your skills and tools to meet new challenges. You go from a low level wrench monkey to chief of engineering directing repair crews to combat explosive decompression, fires, cut power lines and so on. Combine with some RPG elements and a bit of a plot.
How would it play?
Guns of Icarus come to mind, but singleplayer and with more complex repair mechanics.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 08:54:54 am by dorf »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4713 on: November 25, 2014, 08:28:14 am »

Asking twenty players to work together against another team in a competitive multiplayer setting would be a huge recipe for disaster in a game that requires that much teamwork, so I'd say cooperative single player would be best.  Face off against increasingly hard challenges until the ship explodes, that way there's always enough difficulty to keep people motivated.

Maybe you could have some sort of hierarchy where there's the pilot, he has four team leaders (either for repairs at different parts of the ships, or different roles like repair/security/guns) and they each have four subordinates?  It seems like there's only so many players that will follow orders at once; people listen to the pilot in GoI and the commander in NS 2 but they don't listen to the commander in 2142 or Nuclear Dawn.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4714 on: November 25, 2014, 09:47:47 am »

I like the coop multiplayer idea. Would make it interesting having to prioritize and organize repairs. You take deck B! I'll be in the engine room! And who will take on the suicidal repair jobs?

Other games:

The Long Dark style survival meets Fallout. You emerge from your bunker into a seriously terrible place where you must struggle to find food to eat. Only, your people back in the vault also need you to bring them things too, and they will die if you don't (aka Fallout I). So, minus the arcadey fighting and ramping up the resource scarcity.

Fallout where we get an origin story. You start out somewhere on the day the bombs fall. Like New York. Nice full-color depiction of the atom-punk inspired future when everything is still new and shiny. Patriotism + atom tec + 1950s style clothing. As luck would have it (or is it luck?) you happen to be conducting repairs on behalf of vault tec when the doors shut and lock prematurely, keeping out people would try to get in hours later when the warnings sound. You listen as the ground shakes faintly, and the radio/TV feeds go from panic to white noise. Then all is quiet. And you are alone.

Or are you?

I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4715 on: November 25, 2014, 02:20:00 pm »

Fallout where we get an origin story. You start out somewhere on the day the bombs fall. Like New York. Nice full-color depiction of the atom-punk inspired future when everything is still new and shiny.
Locked in a Vault Simulator 2017?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4716 on: November 25, 2014, 02:56:43 pm »

So you're the puppet guy?

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4717 on: November 25, 2014, 03:32:17 pm »

How would it play?
Guns of Icarus come to mind, but singleplayer and with more complex repair mechanics.
Yeah, thinking about it, I'd be not so much interesting in playing a space engineer so much as a space mechanic. So you wouldn't be repairing things by bashing it with a wrench to refill a bar, but, rather, you'd have to replace parts that are damaged or malfunctioning. But you wouldn't always have the parts you need on hand, so you'd sometimes have to improvise a solution by rerouting stuff or using parts that almost, but don't quite, work for the job. And such things would have varying effects on the ship's performance; you could even do stuff that makes it work better in some ways.

Basically what I want is something like a Firefly game where you play Kaylee.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4718 on: November 25, 2014, 03:36:15 pm »

If my experience with actual electronic engineers is anything to go by, you could probably just stick nails across where the fuse should be and hope you don't need the protection. Since I imagine the way the mechanics would treat the cruiser would be more like a home than a commercial job.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4719 on: November 25, 2014, 08:13:19 pm »

Fallout where we get an origin story. You start out somewhere on the day the bombs fall. Like New York. Nice full-color depiction of the atom-punk inspired future when everything is still new and shiny.

I think it is 2100 something.

And that would be the setup. It could function as the tutorial/early xp stages. Your motivation for going outside could be all kinds of things. Insane robot. Lack of food. Wanting to try and find somebody.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4720 on: November 26, 2014, 07:38:01 pm »

And that would be the setup. It could function as the tutorial/early xp stages. Your motivation for going outside could be all kinds of things. Insane robot. Lack of food. Wanting to try and find somebody.
I was talking about the year of game release, not when it's set. Because releasing things this year is 2 mainstream 4 me.
As for leaving the vault, wouldn't that be a really, really bad idea? Especially within a human lifetime after the bombs fall.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
  • You're gonna carry that weight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4721 on: November 27, 2014, 05:24:33 am »

I was talking about the year of game release, not when it's set. Because releasing things this year is 2 mainstream 4 me.
As for leaving the vault, wouldn't that be a really, really bad idea? Especially within a human lifetime after the bombs fall.

I suppose the nuclear fallout would still be in effect in regions that were directly hit. What if the game started with you launching the nukes, making it all about dealing with that?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #4722 on: November 27, 2014, 02:04:39 pm »

Speaking of nukes...

Game: Shadow President. 2015 (?) edition. Want.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4723 on: November 27, 2014, 02:23:08 pm »

It makes me laugh at the thought that if an EU4-esque game came out today somebody would do a world conquest as Luxembourg / Congo / Wales etc.
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4724 on: November 28, 2014, 08:56:59 am »

A Far Cry 3/4 esque open world game with the crafting aspects of Dragon Age: Inquisition. The land itself is entirely open, but adventuring too far too early is bad. Enemy strongholds exist, and usually taking them reduces the overall hostility/level of the area around it, while raising the difficulty in other areas, and there are some areas with set difficulties.

You've got a race+class setup, alongside a third choice that affects what skills populate your skill tree. For instance, an Elven warrior may have more options for 1-handed swords and parrying, while a Dwarven warrior will likely wield a weapon taller than they are and smash everything they can. The third option mostly affects passives and noncombat abilities, and can alter combat ones.

The easiest way to determine a weapon's quality is to ask yourself where it came from. Buying a weapon and immediately pressing it into use is a bad idea anywhere beyond the start of the game, and weapons you find off of bandits usually isn't much better, though they can have some crafting applied. Actually taking the time to craft a weapon adds greatly to its power, and having the right resources can make all the difference. Each part individually changes aspects of a weapon based on what it is, further adding to the end result based on materials used to make it. Even low-level part schematics can be mixed to create a great weapon through high-quality materials.
Armor is likewise craftable.

The main reason for marrying the concepts is material hunting for more than just an arbitrary amount of skins to make a wallet that, for some reason, must be made of yak or something. Variant creatures also exist- killing a Honey Badger is one thing, killing a Dire or Draconic variant is very different. Since Varaints are usually very rare, they usually drop a single skin worth a set number during crafting- a Dire Skin (6) might be useful for making a hilt or two, but you'll have to seriously hunt for them if you want an armor requiring 10 or 12 units of "cloth".
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 577