Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929443 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #4922 on: December 26, 2014, 04:25:55 am »

BFME was so much fun. I loved Tom Bombadil in it. 'Excuse me one second while I blast through your army with my single guy and watch your cavalry start flying around as if thrown by a kid with ADHD on e-numbers.'

Tom Bombadil was in BFME?

... Wow. It must have been a long time since I played it. Could he only be placed in a map editor or something? I don't remember seeing him at all.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: December 26, 2014, 11:11:13 am »

BFME was so much fun. I loved Tom Bombadil in it. 'Excuse me one second while I blast through your army with my single guy and watch your cavalry start flying around as if thrown by a kid with ADHD on e-numbers.'

Tom Bombadil was in BFME?

... Wow. It must have been a long time since I played it. Could he only be placed in a map editor or something? I don't remember seeing him at all.
He was in the second one. Some of the "good" factions could summon him from the Palantir power tree, and yeah he did pretty much as greatorder says.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: December 26, 2014, 12:04:35 pm »

The only reason why Tom Bombadil was not OP because he was only summoned for an outrageously short period of time. Also, he refused to attack buildings IIRC.

I don't think I ever saw him die before getting unsummoned, though.
._.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4925 on: December 26, 2014, 05:54:42 pm »

I've got an RTS called "The Lord of the Rings: War of the Ring". It's more in the vein of Warcraft III than the large battles of the "Battle for Middle Earth" series. It was fun, though not very difficult from what I remember. Units had a much more cartoony look to them with dwarves being round bearded things with big shields and huge axes. Part of the advertising for the game highlighted how the units could push aside grass while they were moving through it.

It's interesting with designs that aren't based on the movies. Trolls had big tusks, blue hide and carried huge cleavers.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: December 26, 2014, 06:39:50 pm »

Another OP element of the original BFME was the Ents. They were nigh invincible to everything, including the killer cavalry, except for the hard counter of fire-arrow archers. While this might be fine in multiplayer, the single-player AI almost never got the fire arrows upgrade so you could absolutely curb-stomp them as Rohan just by holding them off long enough to build an Entmoot.

Yeah, War of the Ring was... well, it was something. The whole "move grass out of the way" seems like "see how the fish swim as you approach them" in hindsight, and the walk/run switch was both easily exploitable and incredibly frustrating.

The campaign sucked dick, too. BFME2's was also meh, but the first BFME had a really interesting campaign structure which few if any other RTSes have used.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: December 27, 2014, 04:09:21 am »

A little surprised not to see any love here for "War In Middle Earth".

I have not played any of these other games, but WIME was pretty great.  Up until and including when individual Nazgul would be destroying entire armies.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: December 31, 2014, 09:14:33 am »

I think I'd have fun with an absurdly long game based on the Star Wars Expanded Universe, sort of like the Silmarillion in videogame form. With such a massive body of work, it feels like kind of a waste to say "Nope, never happened" with the new film. But then I've never really read any of the novels or comics, so I wouldn't know about the average quality of EU stuff.

As a matter of fact, a grand strategy/RTS/RPG/whatever based on the Silmarillion would be very cool as well.

The campaign sucked dick, too. BFME2's was also meh, but the first BFME had a really interesting campaign structure which few if any other RTSes have used.

I do wish the campaign was harder. The most difficult missions were Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith as the Fellowship, mostly because you couldn't turn every base into an invincible ring of turrets. Minas Tirith was also kind of a slog for the bad guys because IIRC you have to destroy every single building.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:24:27 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: December 31, 2014, 09:37:18 am »

An Elder Scrolls game with combat that doesn't suuuuck.

We can dream, right?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: December 31, 2014, 09:46:50 am »

Dwarf Fortress with:
- Gunpowder weapons or the ability to mod them properly (separate loading and firing speed for range weapons)
- Leather ammount depending on size of the creature butchered
- Romero zombies or the ability to mod them properly
- The ability to specify vampires and it's abilities/characteristics
- The ability to specify werebeasts and it's abilities/characteristics
- The ability to specify demons and it's abilities/characteristics
- Classical elves

Basically, Dwarf Fortress, Warhammer Edition or something. Or that's it, wait for Dwarf Fortress 1.0 to roll out and mod the hell outa it.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: December 31, 2014, 10:35:16 am »

An Elder Scrolls game with combat that doesn't suuuuck.

We can dream, right?

Combat from Mount & Blade or even Dark Messiah would be great.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: December 31, 2014, 10:38:42 am »

Dwarf Fortress with:
- Gunpowder weapons or the ability to mod them properly (separate loading and firing speed for range weapons)
- Classical elves

Basically, Dwarf Fortress, Warhammer Edition or something. Or that's it, wait for Dwarf Fortress 1.0 to roll out and mod the hell outa it.

there IS a war hammer fantasy mod for DF 2010
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: December 31, 2014, 07:06:39 pm »

Dwarf Fortress with:
- Classical elves

there IS a war hammer fantasy mod for DF 2010
Yes, but it still lacks a lot of things (which DF itself is still lacking).

Happy new year btw!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: January 01, 2015, 06:44:44 am »

Some sort of game akin to Civilization or Dwarf Fortress (Or some hybrid thereof) where your goal was to, in a land of humanity and the various other fantasy races, take over the world using necromancy.

Too few games end up taking a large scale view at the consequences of being able to raise kills, whether freshly slain or long dead, to serve your own army; an army that doesn't need food, water, sleep, that never tires, never complains, and never breaks down due to lack of morale would have a huge advantage over conventional forces.

You would have to work in secret at first, raiding crypts for old weakened bones, and possibly artifacts or secrets to stronger undead. You would then start small, amassing your undead army, with each new kill a potential recruit, whether to your army or the village you just took over. After you reach a certain point or level in power, you have to make the decision of whether you allow your thralls to engage in a limited form of autonomy, risking a rebellion but increasing your maximum control due to not having to concentrate on each individual, or ensuring absolute obedience while stripping them of their free will, resulting in smaller but more potent forces, and possibly driving you closer to the brink of insanity from the stress of keeping multiple souls in your grasp.

Battles would be real time, akin to the Total War series, but with differences in how you command your troops. Given the choices above, do guide your armies in the right direction, and hope the intelligent undead are able to direct them successfully? Or do you have absolute control over your troops, meaning that you must micromanage each group of minions in such a way that would make 200+ APM Korean Starcraft players cry?

There will be as much focus on the individual as there is on the whole as well. You are a powerful sorcerer in your own right as you grow, able to turn the tides of a battle on your lonesome, but at the cost of your undead minions. Human resources takes a new turn when you must sever the connection for some of your forces in order to cast some of the higher rank spells, and some of them will not be happy about getting cut off early. You must choose whether to focus on offensive spells, such as the basic fireball or shadowbolt flinging, defensive spells, such as magical circles that strengthen your troops fortitude when stepped in, conjuration spells that can bring in powerful yet limited time troops from other planes, or simple necromancy, which frees you to raise the dead mid-battle and bolster your forces further.

As you go on, you will need to train apprentice necromancers to extend your grasp, with randomly generated characters using a light RPG stats system, with a multitude of hidden statistics affecting their choices, similar to Crusader Kings 2. While they are your apprentices, they each have their own goals, ranging from absolute loyalty to planning to overthrow you when your back is turned. You will, of course, have ways to deal with them as well; UristMcNecrobackstabber won't be so uppity when you have the magical equivalent of a bomb planted in his chest, ready to activate at a moment's notice.

There will be a tech tree of sorts, as is custom for civilization-esque games. Do you go the way of the spirit, with incorporeal undead riding at the forefront? Do you spread a flesh eating plague among your minions, causing them to fester with pus while inflicting terrible casualties among your living enemies? Do you want a basic, no holds barred zombie apocalypse, with self propagating minions? Or do you call upon the secrets of the void, causing your armies to twist into eldritch horrors from beyond the stars, causing terror and insanity in both the enemy and yourself?

Do you reign through fear and terror, or do you fight for the right of the dead to enjoy their everlasting peace?

Wrote this basically before I went to sleep, so I hope most of it is coherent. If nothing else, it's something I would love to play, if not make myself, but I wouldn't even know where to start should I want to attempt programming a game of this scope, at least in terms of viability. While I'm a programmer, I haven't tried anything all that big before.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 577