Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929608 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #5910 on: September 18, 2015, 01:37:57 pm »

I prefer the Diplomacy approach where all of the turns occur at the same time, but after all of the players have committed to their actions.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5911 on: September 18, 2015, 01:42:37 pm »

I'd like a turn based game (other than civilization) where every player makes a move at the same time.

Frozen synapse!  You basically plan out your moves, and then both players turns play out at the same time.  It was pretty cool.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5912 on: September 18, 2015, 11:16:10 pm »

I'd like a turn based game (other than civilization) where every player makes a move at the same time.

Frozen synapse!  You basically plan out your moves, and then both players turns play out at the same time.  It was pretty cool.

I want a game like this similar to Toribash, though possibly 2D/simpler/gamified. Sort of like drafting a bunch of different cards to create your own fighting style, and then playing turns simultaneously.

Either that or I'm about to redownload Toribash...
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5913 on: September 19, 2015, 09:47:15 am »

I want a game like this similar to Toribash, though possibly 2D/simpler/gamified. Sort of like drafting a bunch of different cards to create your own fighting style, and then playing turns simultaneously.

Either that or I'm about to redownload Toribash...

That idea has been suggested before actually! Well, at least in that the devs allow players to change their beginning stance (and also change some joint mechanics, but meh) which I think would be awesome. Starting stance really is huge, and allowing players to develop their own would be much fun.

EDIT: as an added bonus it would also probably precipitate a change in the way objects are handled. Which would be great, because they're a little inaccurate at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 09:49:34 am by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5914 on: September 19, 2015, 09:57:35 am »

There is/was a game like this made by Toribash devs, actually. The way it worked you had a 2D sprite with adjustable limb sizes and you would pre-set a move that would be used to challenge likewise pre-set moves of chars made by other people.

It was kinda meh on the execution though.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5915 on: September 19, 2015, 09:58:06 am »

Age of wonders series does that, iirc, at least in part. Simultaneous turns are not terribly uncommon for TBS stuff. Then yeah, there's stuff like frozen synapse, which has more examples than just that. It's not common for multiplayer (and even less so for singleplayer) games, but we've been seeing a bit more experimentation with the concept recently-ish.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5916 on: September 19, 2015, 10:42:16 am »

I would love a 3d platformer with the speed of modern 2d platformers.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5917 on: September 19, 2015, 11:58:52 pm »

I would love a 3d platformer with the speed of modern 2d platformers.
So you just want to die a lot?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5918 on: September 20, 2015, 09:14:30 am »

I prefer the Diplomacy approach where all of the turns occur at the same time, but after all of the players have committed to their actions.

Space Empires IV had a simultaneous turn setting that did that.  I assume 5 did as well. 

Laser Squad pionered this on a tactical level.  Frozen Synapse, as mentioned previously.

Robot Sports did a brilliant job of this actually.  Had adjustable turn lengths, so you could tune a slider and the bots would go longer between orders.  I might have got that last title wrong.

StacyScene

• Escaped Lunatic
  • "BLORP" - BLORPFISH 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #5919 on: September 20, 2015, 02:01:51 pm »

I want a spy game. Realistic, but made in A way so the player isn't misunderstanding the double meanings and code words. In other words, I want a game that makes me feel like a spy, and I want it during the Cold War. Because that would be awesome!

Actually that does indeed exist with the name of Covert Action, not set in the Cold War, atleast I'm not sure, but is pretty much the closest we'll get to a super realistic spy game.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5920 on: September 20, 2015, 02:31:08 pm »

I want a spy game. Realistic, but made in A way so the player isn't misunderstanding the double meanings and code words. In other words, I want a game that makes me feel like a spy, and I want it during the Cold War. Because that would be awesome!

Actually that does indeed exist with the name of Covert Action, not set in the Cold War, atleast I'm not sure, but is pretty much the closest we'll get to a super realistic spy game.
It's set in very early 90s/late 80s, possibly 1990; KGB (and Stasi) is still around and plotting, but they are generally not the main antagonist of the plots - though if you play through 50 RNG 'metaplots'/'campaigns' you WILL face off against a KGB Mastermind at one point, or one of the many other late-Cold War baddies like Baader-Meinhof Gang, South American cartels, or Black September, sometimes slightly renamed.

It is a really cool spy game that feels like a spy game, not a James Bond simulator action game - it's actually closer to a detective simulator of sorts than a pure action game. Which it also does, in the break-in sequences if you don't want to/can't be sneaky, but the meat of the game is figuring out and foiling a plot, and in the metagame, identifying and arresting the mastermind behind the plots in the current 'campaign'.

And to do that, you're far better off wiretapping, planting bugs, photographing documents, hacking computers, turning plotters into double agents, code-breaking and, if you hate yourself, tailing suspects.

It's also been released in 1990, so... it's kinda aged. It's also a Sid Meyer game, BTW.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5921 on: September 20, 2015, 02:35:06 pm »

It's aged pretty well, IMO. It looks as was intended at least, and runs okay. The gameplay all works well, if you excuse the slightly weird keybindings (has anyone used the numpad for movement since 2000?).
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5922 on: September 20, 2015, 05:23:59 pm »

A  Dungeons and Dragons-esque game where combat would work like that ^

It would be so amazing!
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5923 on: September 20, 2015, 07:13:29 pm »

A X-Com style game with more emphasis on the geoscape. You don't directly control your squad on the ground, you just hear the screaming over the radio.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5924 on: September 20, 2015, 08:54:20 pm »

A 4x game in the civilization/warlock vein but in which specific placement of structures is less trivial. There should be effects beyond a slight movement boost and a small modifier for terrain type or special resources. Optimally they should have some effect on any unit which is standing on them.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 577