Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 844 845 [846] 847 848 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558211 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #12675 on: August 11, 2016, 02:31:26 am »

Convenient Horses is basically a must if it's still around. Laundry list of improvements that actually make them usable, and a mild chuckle-worthy quest added to boot.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12676 on: August 11, 2016, 05:33:33 am »

So, I bought this and all the DLC apparently. A year ago... maybe? I'unno; I never actually installed it nor played it. I mean, I did play the game on console for a little bit, but I never actually seriously played it. So, if I were to start playing this game fully (should I wait? I heard something about a better-looking version coming out or something), any mods that I should grab? Bugfixes naturally, but anything else?
Eh, take the unofficial patches and Safety Load, then look around at the most downloaded/endorsed mods on Nexus and install what seems cool. The vanilla experience has about as much merit as canon for the TES series :P

If you don't mind a little bit of a performance hit, i recommend SMIM, which makes meshes in the game look much better.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #12677 on: August 11, 2016, 10:09:54 am »

Quiz time! What is your least favorite NPC! Mines probably Maven Black-briar, with Nazeem a close second.

The only reason i haven't murdered Nazeem several times over is that i respect his sassiness, and also a few of the insults he says actually cut pretty deep.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12678 on: August 11, 2016, 11:03:59 am »

Ulfric Stormcloak for trying to single-handedly destroy Skyrim and almost succeeding. What a prick.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12679 on: August 11, 2016, 11:06:55 am »

Mercer Frey, I suppose he's mostly to blame for the "Thieves" Guild being a band of shitty bandits.  Not especially fond of Brynjolf either though.
The restoration mage in the college.  I'm not disparaging your discipline, crazy lady.
Serana
For being one of the "nice" daedric princes, I never really liked Meridia for some reason.  Maybe my sneaky characters were allergic to the light...  Plus often being a vampire, which runs rather counter to her deal.
Ulfric Stormcloak- ninja'd haha.
Also:  Every last Thalmor.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12680 on: August 11, 2016, 11:18:49 am »

Allow me to posit a philosophical question to your jocular posts.

Suppose god exists, and he created people specifically to make them evil and hated by everyone. He tailored the EVIL and BAD genes and implanted them all into a bunch of random and unfortunate people. Now these people, through no will or choice of their own, have no choice but to be comically evil and bad because that's how they were genetically predisposed to and are incapable of being otherwise.

So then, is it fine to make fun and say you hate these people when they clearly have no influence over how they can act? As if they were clearly and obviously written to be evil and bad and to be hated.

Would it not be like saying you hate people with Down's Syndrome or Huntington's?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12681 on: August 11, 2016, 11:20:57 am »

I get put off meeting Jarl Balgruuf because of Irileth, his housecarl. Maybe also Serana but that's more because her character doesn't really go further beyond "vampire with family troubles". She's apparently really old, but it only comes up once when you first meet her and I don't think again.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12682 on: August 11, 2016, 11:27:13 am »

So then, is it fine to make fun and say you hate these people when they clearly have no influence over how they can act? As if they were clearly and obviously written to be evil and bad and to be hated.
Oh, but I don't hate all Altmer!  I actually like a few.  Some of my best friends are Altmer Well not really since I usually play Bosmer, but I did have a nice Altmer hireling once
I specifically hate the Thalmor and their Third Reich Aldmeri Dominion.  They're far more xenophobic than the Nords, especially considering that they're foreign invaders instead of locals.  Plus that whole "They want to transcend by destroying all non-mer" Putnam mentioned, however that works.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12683 on: August 11, 2016, 12:07:03 pm »

So, I bought this and all the DLC apparently. A year ago... maybe? I'unno; I never actually installed it nor played it. I mean, I did play the game on console for a little bit, but I never actually seriously played it. So, if I were to start playing this game fully (should I wait? I heard something about a better-looking version coming out or something), any mods that I should grab? Bugfixes naturally, but anything else?
SKSE - Skyrim Script Extender Required for most of the more interesting mods and also for the unofficial patch to fully work.
SkyUI Replace the consolized default UI with one more suitable to playing on a PC.
USLEEP - Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch Fixes most of the bugs and issues left in the game. Still being actively updated so check for updates before starting a new character. While I've never had issues, a few have reported problems with their games after updating while playing the same character, so it would be safest to get it from the Nexus to avoid automatic updates from Steam, and updating between characters.

Arthmoor, one of the main authors of the unofficial patch, has done a large number of other mods, sometimes in collaboration with others, that fix or enhance various parts of the game. I usually consider most of them to be essential before starting to look at other mods.
Additional fixes not included in USLEEP Various fixes that for assorted reasons aren't included in the unofficial patch.
When Vampires Attack + Run For Your Lives Both of these help reduce the number of npc's dying to Vampire/Dragon attacks where they have no business trying to fight.
Cutting Room Floor - Legendary Edition Restores a fairly large amount of cut content.
Bring Out Your Dead - Legendary Edition Makes sure every(base+DLC) named npc in and around the cities/villages gets an actual grave if/when killed, and establishes graveyards in settlements that lacked them.
Point The Way Adds signposts at most road intersections, making it easier to travel without getting lost. Couple with Roadsigns Redone to make the signposts more readable without having to get extremely close to them.
Alternate Start - Live Another Life Good for when you are fed up with the long-ass introduction for the n'th time, or just ant to try a different starting idea.
Provincial Courier Service - Legendary Edition Gives The Courier a home and office near Whiterun, rather than having him appear out of the aether. Also allows for deliveries to be sent to one of your owned houses instead of  having him randomly run up to you, or collected from his office.
Castle Volkihar Rebuilt Allows the restoration of the castle following the completion of the Dawnguard DLC, rather than leaving it as a run-down mess.
Kynesgrove, Darkwater Crossing, Ivarstead, Shor's Stone, Whistling Mine, Soljund's Sinkhole & Karthwasten A series of expansions of several minor settlements that were pretty anaemic in the base game. Do remeber if you grab any other village expansion mods that you can usually only have one mod effecting a village without causing conflicts.
The Paarthurnax Dilemma Adds a third option to resolve a quest that logically shouldn't have been restricted to extremes.
Gildergreen Regrown, Oblivion Gates in Cities, Shadowmarks & Bee Hives A few minor mods that add in little things that probably should have been in the base game.

And for some non-Arthmoor mods;
Lanterns of Skyrim - All In One Adds lanterns along the main roads and in settlements. If you pick the MCM version you can also specify when you want the lanterns to be lit.
Purity Improved weather, lighting, water & waterfalls. Check the files section of the nexus page as well for various HD landscape textures designed to work with the mod.
A Quality World Map and Solstheim Map - With Roads Does exactly what it says.
Static Mesh Improvement Mod - SMIM Improves most static meshes for higher detail.
Stones of Barenziah Quest Markers Adds quest markers for the longest, and sometimes most annoying, collection quest in the game.
Bandolier - Bags and Pouches Adds wearable pouches that can expand your carrying capacity from it's pretty pathetic level.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #12684 on: August 13, 2016, 07:53:44 am »

Quiz time! What is your least favorite NPC! Mines probably Maven Black-briar, with Nazeem a close second.
Any invincible one.
Playing Skyrim with mods removing Essential flags from everyone is a must for me.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #12685 on: August 13, 2016, 11:53:36 am »

Ok, here's a good one: Imperials or Stormcloaks? You can't say neither because that's what everyone says.

I've played Stormcloaks, and from what I can Tell Imperial Soldiers are kinda Jerks, but the generals are pretty fair, whilst the stormcloak soldiers are pretty chill but their higher-ups (ULFRIC!) are douches
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12686 on: August 13, 2016, 12:10:42 pm »

Ok, here's a good one: Imperials or Stormcloaks? You can't say neither because that's what everyone says.

I've played Stormcloaks, and from what I can Tell Imperial Soldiers are kinda Jerks, but the generals are pretty fair, whilst the stormcloak soldiers are pretty chill but their higher-ups (ULFRIC!) are douches
I always go Imperial because I cannot stand Ulfric.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12687 on: August 13, 2016, 12:20:15 pm »

Imperials, if only because they have a better chance of reinstating Talos worship in game. Stormcloaks might free up Talos worship in Skyrim but it's hard to say what they'd manage after that, as well as the fact that Ulfric is effectively a Thalmor asset.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12688 on: August 13, 2016, 01:28:41 pm »

I've played both questlines to completion, and I prefer Imperial. Everything Ulfric does furthers the Thalmor plan whether he knows it or not, and you don't even bring up any legitimate concerns to him. No one does. Also, FUCK turning on Balgruuf, he's the coolest Jarl in the game.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12689 on: August 13, 2016, 01:35:21 pm »

I tried Stormcloak, but I reached a point where dealing with Ulfric and his cronies became unbearable and deleted the save.

So Imperial I guess, though I've only actually completed the civil war questline once.

Also, Balgruuf be ballin'.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.
Pages: 1 ... 844 845 [846] 847 848 ... 896