Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 876 877 [878] 879 880 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558220 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #13155 on: December 19, 2016, 08:03:01 am »

I agree with you that Ulfric made a mistake using the Thu'um on Torygg. He should have used his blade in fair combat. The outcome would have been the same, but there'd be a lot less controversy.

Don't forget that Ulfric had two reasons to kill Torygg. The first is purely selfish, being that it leaves the throne open for him to claim. The second is more noble, that the High King accepted the Empire's White-Gold Concordat and a big payout of gold on the side to ban Talos worship, when Ulfric was promised open worship for his work reclaiming Markarth. Ulfric's a Jarl, and he answers to nobody but his High King. By the ways of the Nords, if his High King betrays him like that, it's only proper to challenge him to a duel of honour to settle the unforgivable insult. If it just so happens to mean he ends up High King himself, well that's Game of Thrones baby!

As for Ulfric being a sleeper agent, I don't buy it. Everyone makes a big deal over the Thalmor's dossier, but actions speak louder than words. Ulfric has done nothing to support the Thalmor's interests aside from causing trouble for the Empire. He even happily sits down with the Imperials to hammer out a peace treaty that sits him on the throne, and goes to extra pains to ensure the Thalmor are excluded from these negotiations.

I like to include her with the speech check, JUST so I can rub her snotty upturned nose in it when she gets NOTHING she wants. :P

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13156 on: December 19, 2016, 09:45:12 am »

Pft. NPC banter, my gods.

Just heard a boy exclaim "Why are they hurting each other?". This asked of me, aforementioned khajiit in full plate armor with huge glowing sword... fighting a luster dragon that's actively in the process of reducing the town population to zero.

I dunno, kid. Maybe the giant flying laser-breathing lizard just had one too many ales at the tavern.

Random NPCs, from guards to children to the lady outside Warmaiden's to random couriers, will always follow me inside Breezehome if they're nearby when I open the door. They say one of their passing lines, stare at me for a few seconds, then leave, satisfied that their task is complete.

It's convinced me to build Heljarchen Hall, loath though I am to engage in this irksome "crafting" nonsense. NPCs barging into my house are annoying both in character and out of character.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 09:47:11 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13157 on: December 19, 2016, 09:59:49 am »

NPCs barging into my house are annoying both in character and out of character.

Consider that's what every player character does all the time.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13158 on: December 19, 2016, 10:58:40 am »

But it's different when you're the Dragonborn and have the power of life and death over any mere mortal. :P
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13159 on: December 19, 2016, 11:00:32 am »

But it's different when you're the Dragonborn and have the power of life and death over any mere mortal. :P

Yeah but honestly the Dragonborn isn't that special all things considered.

He basically is a anime protagonist (no really his power is that he is anime... Learning at a speed unfathomable)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13160 on: December 19, 2016, 11:05:09 am »

"Is that fur coming out of your ears?"

I'm wearing a Dragonpriest mask, how can you see my ears?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13161 on: December 19, 2016, 11:05:28 am »

And they still get pissy if you unlock their door and, say, return their kidnapped son.  Enough to start shouting death threats at you from bed.  "Why are they hurting each other??" shouts their son as he watches.  If you save and reload, they might even get up to punch you.

I don't think I was even a vampire, I just didn't feel like waiting around several hours for some villagers to wake up and accept their kid back.  It was annoyingly nonsensical, then kinda funny when they couldn't get up.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13162 on: December 19, 2016, 11:34:03 am »

Also from Dawnstar (the dragon incident was in Dawnstar):

Starting the nightmares quest. The priest of Mara character dumps the exposition on me, enlists me to help on his quest, and starts off towards the door out of the tavern with some variation of "we have to hurry, there is no time to lose".

He promptly stops on the spot and starts semi-drunkenly dancing to the tavern bard's performance, staying like that until the end of the song. We then continue out the door as normal.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13163 on: December 19, 2016, 09:04:03 pm »

Man has priorities.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13164 on: December 19, 2016, 09:07:00 pm »

Look, Like everyone else in dawnstar, he hasnt been sleeping well, OK? He's tired, he's crabby, he suffers from existential regret and remorse-- and for a few moments, that song made him feel better.

Can you blame him for wanting to hear it to the end? ;)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13165 on: December 20, 2016, 05:03:11 am »

Oh, that reminded me of one of the things I find most annoying about Skyrim. Half of the towns in the game are proper, well designed, big-enough-feeling towns (Markarth, Solitude, Whiterun, etc). And then the other half are just overgrown villages consisting of generic wooden buildings that still feel like villages. Falkenrath, some of the northern towns who seem so unremarkable I can never remember their name... That town with the College. It's like they ran out of time two thirds of the way in.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13166 on: December 20, 2016, 05:18:23 am »

To be fair, most of Winterhold did slide into the ocean...

But yeah, it's still an improvement over fallout 3.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13167 on: December 20, 2016, 06:02:14 am »

When even the biggest cities in the province have populations that number in the double digits, I think they can be forgiven.

Seriously, what's with town guards? I love their dialogue and all, but why all dudes? Did all the women run off and join the Stormcloaks or something? They just have one big communal sleeping area, and spend their whole lives wearing a full face helmet? Zero social life, man.

My cousin's out fighting dragons, and what do I get? Guard duty.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13168 on: December 20, 2016, 06:07:36 am »

When even the biggest cities in the province have populations that number in the double digits, I think they can be forgiven.
I really don't care. Lack of people doesn't make towns feel empty, there's usually somebody around. It's more of a complete lack of notable things that makes them feel empty. All of the properly designed towns feel unique and compelling. Hel

And i do feel like something more creative could have been done with Winterhold. Yeah, most of it fell into the ocean. The only way we see that is a longass bridge leading to the College...

Just a personal Skyrim peeve of mine.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13169 on: December 20, 2016, 07:34:07 am »

Seriously, what's with town guards? I love their dialogue and all, but why all dudes? Did all the women run off and join the Stormcloaks or something? They just have one big communal sleeping area, and spend their whole lives wearing a full face helmet? Zero social life, man.

My cousin's out fighting dragons, and what do I get? Guard duty.

There's totally a few women among the guards. I think I ran into one or two in Solitude. They're there, just a bitch to find.
Pages: 1 ... 876 877 [878] 879 880 ... 896