Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 175536 times)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #540 on: January 02, 2012, 01:01:24 pm »

All you need is LAVAAA!!!
All you need is LAVAA!!!
LAVA is all you need!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

SirFellfire

• Bay Watcher
  • Update Stockpile Records
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 02, 2012, 02:46:11 pm »

PEREGARRETT WINS!  8) FLAWLESS VICTORY!
I recorded happiness levels, pulled the lever and recorded them again.
Also, Aussie Evil is doing fine. He's taken a lover recently. Everyone has. This is the fortress of love.

Siverix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 02, 2012, 02:48:53 pm »

All you need is LAVAA!!!
LAVA is all you need!

I raise you a MAGMA

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 02, 2012, 05:27:42 pm »

Read the whole thing in two days, and let me tell you, I am loving every update. Nowhere else have I seen such a badass yak.

Requesting a dorfing; my very first, in fact. Put me down as Croaker, a veteran field medic (soldier and surgeon/diagnoser), preferably leading a small squad of hospital defenders and writing up a history of the fort. Bonus points if (s)he's a cynic.

If you don't get the reference, you're missing out on some damn fine reading.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 02, 2012, 09:31:26 pm »

((Busy day, but I was wrong. I can manage a small update!))

From "Goblin Fighting 101" – a Pamphlet By Di-2, Militia Captain:

No puffed up little bodyguard-turned bureaucrat should tell a soldier how to fight goblins, hell, not even when they should fight goblins. I’m a real soldier. This is how we do it in Oceanbridge.

First, you got your traps.

Goblins like to walk right into them, and I say let them. Less for you to fight when the time comes. It’s not cowardice. Traps never kill them all.

See? Some make it through. What now?

You look over the field. Any bows out there? Be careful.

None? You get out there and kill them. Simple. Like this.

Plenty of other ways to do that, of course. I favor the sword.

I’m a veteran soldier, I killed one goblin myself in this attack alone. Most of you are the same. Tell Anderson that we don’t need his fucking arena, and we don’t need to prove anything to anyone in order to be soldiers.

Peregar’s Story:

The life of a mechanic in the mountainhomes was simple, though not pleasant. Down in the depths, hundreds of dwarf heights down or deeper, were the huge, ancient mechanisms that kept life in the upper levels bearable. Pumps to draw water to the surface, fans to push air down, the immense plump helmet harvesters; the mountainhomes themselves were an elaborate machine, and one that required constant maintenance.

There wasn’t time for creativity. Innovation wasn’t a word the mechanics used, mostly because they didn’t know what it meant, but also because it had no bearing on them. You couldn’t improve the machine. It took a lifetime of work to even understand it.

Peregar was born into that world, and could reasonably have expected to die in it. But an incident with two water wheels, a broken gear assembly, and an (attempted) perpetual motion machine convinced Peregar's superiors that his far too creative talents might be useful elsewhere. In a rare fit of original thinking, Peregar was assigned to a group of migrants bound for Oceanbridge, which was as far from the vital and dangerous machine works as they could put him.

He went along, as it was better than being strung up by his toenails as an example to the other mechanics. How he got to Oceanbridge was another story altogether.

Next: A Little Old Fashioned Violence

Requesting a dorfing; my very first, in fact. Put me down as Croaker, a veteran field medic (soldier and surgeon/diagnoser), preferably leading a small squad of hospital defenders and writing up a history of the fort. Bonus points if (s)he's a cynic.

If you don't get the reference, you're missing out on some damn fine reading.

I'll admit that I don't get the reference, but I'm always on the lookout for new things to read! Also, you're dwarfed in the next update.

Still working on how to write the backgrounds!))

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: January 02, 2012, 09:32:07 pm »

What happened to Derm again?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 02, 2012, 09:39:46 pm »

Alive, and in the next update, once I write it. I admit that I forgot he was there for a while.

The arena fights might not happen for some time. This fortress is plenty violent without them...

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 03, 2012, 05:33:22 am »

Peregar is an unrecognized genius, as I see.
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

antlion12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 03, 2012, 06:59:19 am »

All you need is LAVAA!!!
LAVA is all you need!

I raise you a MAGMA

Well i raise you some ADAMANTINE.
Also i request a dwarf just remove the 12 from my user name and put me as an animal trainer.

SirFellfire

• Bay Watcher
  • Update Stockpile Records
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 03, 2012, 09:12:38 am »

I like the smell of goblin blood in the morning. It smells like... like victory!  8)
I recorded happiness levels, pulled the lever and recorded them again.
Also, Aussie Evil is doing fine. He's taken a lover recently. Everyone has. This is the fortress of love.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: January 03, 2012, 04:45:16 pm »

One goblin? Wow.  :o
Anyways, till Anderson beats at least that he can keep his orders by himself. He is mayor, not a military commander.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Lovecraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 03, 2012, 06:23:48 pm »

This is a great fortress. I'm loving every entry of it.

I humbly request a dorfing. Male, whatever happens to be convenient, FRAGILE sanity personality.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 04, 2012, 06:29:17 pm »

((Ok, this update took forever to write, for some reason. Action scenes! Are hard.))

Human Merchants Arrive In Oceanbridge

“This is Oceanbridge? It’s a dump! I thought you told me these dwarfs knew how to build!”

Umro looked around. Oceanbridge wasn’t the glorious dwarf stronghold he’d been led to expect, but perhaps all of their best work was underground. They must be wealthy, at least. Oxul and Jirdo had come back with some magnificent gold crafts, and that was just the things they had shown off.

“They do. We’ll make a fortune here, and- mind your step!” One of the guards looked down, to see that she had almost stepped on a rotting goblin’s corpse.

She shuddered. “Gods, this place isn’t just a dump. It’s a boneyard.”

“Quiet now. We’re almost to the gates, see? Just watch where you walk, and try not to step in anything still... juicy.”

They were passing a long dry pond when the goblins sprung out from ambush.

One merchant died in the first seconds of the attack, a goblin spear in his heart. Umro and the others fled toward the gate, only to find their path blocked by another group of goblins.

Two more guards fell there. The survivor, (the guard who had stepped in goblin before) fought hard, but she was outnumbered and tiring fast.

As the goblins closed in, she looked  to the drawn bridge leading into the fortress.

“Why don’t they come out and help?”

Why Indeed?

Derm looked to Mr. Anderson, who was watching the fight from the walls. “Why aren’t we out killing?”

Mr. Anderson frowned. “The militia is in the lower levels. More of those eyes attacking. Unless you want to fight them yourself-“

“I do!”

“I suggest we wait.”

Derm shrugged. "My duty is to defend this fortress, and always will be. I don't care what happens." He walked over to the lever that controlled the gate, and pulled it. "My axe is ready for souls."

"You damned fool!"

The gate opened.

Fortunately, and to the surprise of both of them, there were still enough cage traps left, and the goblins hadn't learned a thing from their predecessors. Mr Anderson watched as the shrieking, charging goblins turned into shrieking, caged goblins.

"All right. That works."

The merchant guard (who had survived, barely) fell to the ground in exhaustion.

But one of the goblins spearman had sneaked its way through the traps. It crept through the empty trade depot, and up the first set of stairs it found.

Karakzon, Orcrist and Di-2 had made it back up to the surface just in time, or so it seemed to them at first when they spotted it.

One goblin against three dwarfs? “One dead goblin!” Karakzon said.

The goblin disagreed. It met Orcrist head on, ducking under a swipe from his obsidian sword and cracking him under the chin with the butt of its spear. Orcrist went down, stunned and bruised. Di-2 fell next, her hand broken through her gauntlet.

“I’ll show you how we handle goblins!” Karakzon shouted as he bore down on the thing with a pick in hand. Later he admitted that he must have become rusty over the years; the goblin not only dodged the attack, it countered, stabbing Karakzon in the upper leg. He fell with a curse on his lips.

Ignoring the wounded defenders, the speargoblin snarled and leapt off the wall. It had spotted the stairway leading down into the fort itself.

It found a siege engineer coming up, and stabbed her through the stomach before she could scream a warning.

Ishar was in the corridor below. Caught by surprise, she still managed to break the goblin’s upper left arm with her mace before it slashed her leg open with one swift attack. She went down, her two children somewhat breaking her fall.

It stood over her, looking unsure if it would kill her or one of her children first.

That pause was what doomed it. Knocked down and out of breath he might have been, but Orcrist was still unhurt. He'd got back up as soon as he was able, ran down the stairs, jumped over the unconscious engineer, and slashed off the goblin's head as it poised to kill Ishar.

"Yes! Yes! Did you see that? Did you? I-" He stopped when he noticed that everyone around him was either unconcious or a baby. "Ok, never mind. I need some doctors here, now!"

Next: Hospitals, Dwarfs, and Ghost Examined

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 04, 2012, 08:01:09 pm »

... he noticed that everyone around him was either unconcious or a baby. ...
I don't know why, this made me chuckle.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 05, 2012, 02:42:57 am »

Obsidian sword? One gobbo beats five dorfs, three of them armored?! What the hell?! what's with our steel production?! And militia definitely needs more trainings.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 85