Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Have I turned breaching the HFS from the most terrifying and challenging thing a dwarf can do into a simple and hilarious thing that anyone can do?

Yes
- 279 (33.5%)
No
- 52 (6.3%)
BANANA!
- 501 (60.2%)

Total Members Voted: 831

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 81

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)  (Read 402284 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

Looking forward to the survivor update, who lives and how many? How many months until the next wave?  :D

Next... wave?... Migrants haven't dared come to Swordthunders in years.  Next time the dwarf caravan turns up, I'm going to bloody well make sure they get inside, get given stuff, and make it safely off-map in the hopes that ONE migrants might come.

edit: The dwarven caravan's turned up and enter Swordthunders safe and sound.  If I have to, I'll clear every job to get someone trading.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 03:18:04 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

Fill the outside with cage traps. Then no ambushers can make it to the caravans.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fill the outside with cage traps. Then no ambushers can make it to the caravans.

I'm not letting my guys anywhere near the front door with the fort's low population.  The only dwarves that go outside are Doren and Shen, and even then it's only to deal with Goblins.

I also have good news for the four of you guys living in the completed Hellvillas;  You now have a table each with a few more stockpiled for the next few as they're built. Oh, and the north 'beach' area is almost ready to be filled with water.  Just a few more damp squares to dig through.

The cavern lake has been breached and it's pouring rather slowly into the appropriate beach space.  Albeit rather slowly.  I may close off the water flow and build a few walls in the Adamantine Spire to try and encourage the water to travel more... directly.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 05:31:51 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Captain Mayhem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Those three finished ones belong to Loud Whispers II, Captain Mayhem and the third one down the bottom was given to Eric Blank because that dwarf is an INSANELY good engraver.  He's earned it.
Score!
I also have good news for the four of you guys living in the completed Hellvillas;  You now have a table each with a few more stockpiled for the next few as they're built.  Oh, and the north 'beach' area is almost ready to be filled with water.  Just a few more damp squares to dig through.
Double score!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quick question: How big is Doren's kill list now?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quick question: How big is Doren's kill list now?

Happy to entertain!

And I just looked myself out of curiosity.  Quite a bit larger than even I thought it would be - She's at a whopping 312 notable kills now, with a further 49 assorted nameless creatures and demons.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Minor update - Managed to pierce the cavern lake without drowning a dwarf by using... (Loud Whisper's gonna love this..) A door.  Though it did require Grath swimming through 7/7 water to the exit stairs for a good ten squares or so.

Once the initial burst of water that went through the door before it shut has subsided, I'm going to get a mechanic to hook the door up to a lever so I can open it safely.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For future reference, the order is usually:
1) Hook up control device to a lever
2) Breach water supply

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the dwarf trying to hook up the door insists on working from the side of the door that the water is on. I can see an endless stream of him opening the door to get to his preferred side, being washed down the hallway until the door closes, then going back to the door to try the same thing again. We are talking about a dwarf here. :)

I don't know that it will happen, but I'd have hooked up the lever first, so that it couldn't happen.

So, have I died of thirst./hunger/suicide yet?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Minor update - Managed to pierce the cavern lake without drowning a dwarf by using... (Loud Whisper's gonna love this..) A door.  Though it did require Grath swimming through 7/7 water to the exit stairs for a good ten squares or so.

Once the initial burst of water that went through the door before it shut has subsided, I'm going to get a mechanic to hook the door up to a lever so I can open it safely.

*8)*

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAARHHH
Plus, as long as no one died, I think the beach was a success.
I think I speak for us all when I say, hell, all your beach are belong to us.

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Build a large welcome sign from microline, when you will have enough dwarfs.
If some migrants show up, can I be dwarfed too? I enjoy this thread so much.

Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile

Build a large welcome sign from microline, when you will have enough dwarfs.

Aaand the first thing anyone entering Failcannon sees is...

Aussie, can you beat that?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Small question: Did you name everyone in the fort? If we won't have any new dwarves coming in and there is a likely case of death as we have about ~100 z-levels to ourselves and the upper earth, could every dwarf be named? (Excluding those already Legendary if need be.)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Small question: Did you name everyone in the fort? If we won't have any new dwarves coming in and there is a likely case of death as we have about ~100 z-levels to ourselves and the upper earth, could every dwarf be named? (Excluding those already Legendary if need be.)

There's.... *checks* 5 generic dwarves left.  Gzoker, you've been dwarfed

Spoiler:  gzoker (click to show/hide)

Aaand the first thing anyone entering Failcannon sees is...

Aussie, can you beat that?

I'm using adamantine floors to create the word "SWORDTHUNDERS" on the ground in Hell with a wooden background.  So far they've gotten a bit of "SWO" done.  It's not a high priority as I'm getting the villas and lake done at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 10:00:14 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

OH NO HE DIDN'T :O

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There was no accidental typing inside the quotes.  YOU SAW NOTHING! NOTHINNNNNG!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

There was no accidental typing inside the quotes.  YOU SAW NOTHING! NOTHINNNNNG!

I saw it all. To me it looked like for a moment you had developed a split personality ^_^
ThatAussieGuy vs THATAussieguy ;P

Also hey, the view count on this is almost over 9000
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 81