Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 598210 times)

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - strategy/roguelike/4x (v 0.2.0 released 26/11/2012!)
« Reply #1530 on: February 19, 2013, 03:43:54 pm »

Side note: Actually fighting involves very little parrying, because weapons lose their edge and break much easier then you would expect. The only weapon I can think of that is meant to be consistently used to block a blow is the rapier, and that works because it has no edge and is very flexible.

Well, between blocking and parrying there is a lot of difference, I woulnd't "block" with a rapier or a foil, too fragile.

Has for the so claiment "edge", on very big swords it doens't matter anyway, the blow it mainly concussive anyway, relying more of speed/mass to chop people. Kinda like woodaxes, they aren't "sharp", but still cut because they have a lot of force.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: February 19, 2013, 04:48:55 pm »

Side note: Actually fighting involves very little parrying, because weapons lose their edge and break much easier then you would expect. The only weapon I can think of that is meant to be consistently used to block a blow is the rapier, and that works because it has no edge and is very flexible.
When the wielder only has a sword theres much parrying. Any 'blocking' would be deflective rather than trying to stop the attack unless one has a heavier kind of sword and it is never edge to edge.
Take the twohander(zweihander). In a german sword style it has a basic defensive posture where you hold the sword upside down at your side with the cross guard at shoulder height that basically covers your whole body. This pose lets you make a quick leg strike, sideway swing and a powerful strike from above.
Many swords, from longswords(varies) and larger have a part of the blade by the hilt that is not edged and thus slightly thicker. I assume we're not talking about crappy swords, but this zone is rather sturdy.
Most blocking occurs by stepping in and stopping the opponents strike before it's in full swing so there's not that much force to damage the blade. At other times you either dodge or deflect the strike with the side of the sword.

There's both dual edged rapiers and the rounded piercing one and this is a very light weapon so it would only be used to block another rapier, but it can probably deflect a strike.

Has for the so claiment "edge", on very big swords it doens't matter anyway, the blow it mainly concussive anyway, relying more of speed/mass to chop people. Kinda like woodaxes, they aren't "sharp", but still cut because they have a lot of force.

True, but one would still keep a sharp edge to be able to slice when needed. except for that scottish or irish one that was just simply huge, forgot the name.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: February 19, 2013, 10:05:35 pm »

True, but one would still keep a sharp edge to be able to slice when needed. except for that scottish or irish one that was just simply huge, forgot the name.

Claymore?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: February 20, 2013, 03:49:03 am »

Claymore?
Nope, there's an even larger one.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: February 20, 2013, 07:06:16 am »

Zweihander?

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: February 20, 2013, 07:10:13 am »

Zweihander?
That and the claymore is basically the same size :P
I just recall reading about an almost impractically large sword used quite far back, but because it's so unwieldy it didn't get to be used for long.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:14:17 am by Ivefan »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: February 20, 2013, 07:13:52 am »

I stand by what I said earlier - I don't really know my swords :p

Was it the bastard sword!?
Or the crazy bastard sword!!?!!

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: February 20, 2013, 07:17:15 am »

Now you're going down in size :P
I don't know what the crazy bastard sword is, but a normal one is one and a half hander, thus a bastard of the two hander & the one handed.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: February 20, 2013, 09:20:21 am »

I was always curious why it was called a bastard sword. I didn't expect it to actually make sense, for some reason.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: February 20, 2013, 09:22:42 am »

I was always curious why it was called a bastard sword. I didn't expect it to actually make sense, for some reason.
It's called a bastard sword because Jon Snow uses one, and he is a bastard.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: February 20, 2013, 11:11:10 am »

longswords were swords with big grips meant to be used with both hands, not because it was bigger than the arming sword, but so it was of any use against armor. claymore was the gaelic name for longswords and the english name for the specific type of longswords the scots used(with a v shaped guard). the zweihander was also considered a longsword, but it was bigger than the others
bastard sword is a neologism and also refers to regular ol' longswords in contexts where the term longsword describes other weapons

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: February 20, 2013, 11:52:18 am »

bastard sword is a neologism and also refers to regular ol' longswords in contexts where the term longsword describes other weapons
Right. nowadays the name longsword seems mostly used for one handed swords or swords where one could use the second hand to give some extra force

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: February 20, 2013, 01:59:53 pm »

I'm with you on that one. This has got to be one of the most educational threads in this forum. :P
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: February 20, 2013, 02:47:50 pm »

The sword you are thinking of is a Flamberge.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: February 20, 2013, 03:02:35 pm »

The sword you are thinking of is a Flamberge.
Nope. Thats also german and of a much later time...
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 221