Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is the worst bug in DF? Current list, including list of fixed bugs: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=94802.msg3089089#msg3089089

impossible mandates (slade - bug #782, blue jay tooth etc - bug #1623) due to strange preferences (wagon wood - bug #3676 etc)
- 19 (3.1%)
bug #3169 - Bone carvers suffer art defacement when somebody leaves the map with stuck-in masterpiece bolts
- 2 (0.3%)
bug #524 - Liquid glob material breath attacks come out solid
- 2 (0.3%)
bug #1346 - Adamantine thread used for suturing.
- 13 (2.1%)
bug #2352 - Seasonal ice melting hangs game for a ridiculously long time
- 8 (1.3%)
bug #296 - Pools/smears/spatters of blood, dust and other materials multiply themselves, get tracked around too much
- 25 (4.1%)
bug #425 - Dwarves Not Cleaning Blood
- 14 (2.3%)
bug #2481 - Dwarves will claim new clothes when theirs is worn (xClothesx) but not wear it
- 95 (15.7%)
bug #3453 - Baron/etc. cannot appoint baron-appointed nobles, such as the Dungeon Master
- 66 (10.9%)
bug #4025 - Every kobold starves to death at exactly year 4 in world gen
- 41 (6.8%)
bug #3708 - Ghost names that can't be engraved on a slab and nameless slab engravings
- 18 (3%)
bug #1498 - Crystal glass items can't be made, CRYSTAL_GLASSABLE appears broken
- 9 (1.5%)
bug #1582 - Injured dwarf in bed in stocked hospital ignored by idle doctors
- 30 (4.9%)
bug #231 - Body parts from large creatures (bones, meat, leather, tusks, etc) slow workshops down due to clutter
- 14 (2.3%)
bug #197 - No wagons in trader/merchant caravans
- 8 (1.3%)
bug #3942 - Dwarves owning broken clothing. Clothes don't rot, ANNIHILATES FPS.
- 67 (11%)
bug #3685 - Goblin squads invading a fortress will kill their non-goblin squadmates, sparking loyalty cascade
- 3 (0.5%)
bug #1376 - Presence of saltwater marsh causes mountain brooks/pools to become salty
- 5 (0.8%)
Lye, water and buckets  (bug #1324 - buckets full of water were used to produce lye, bug #4230 - bucket with water inside becomes unusable, bug #1236 - buckets contain lye and water, can't be used for anything)
- 25 (4.1%)
bug #535 - Equipping weapons/armor on military is erratic
- 46 (7.6%)
bug #3898 - Entire Bone Statcks are used in Reactions instead of a single Bone
- 14 (2.3%)
bug #2712 - weapons, especially whips, cut through steel armor like butter
- 27 (4.4%)
bug #4133 - Good/evil plants/trees don't appear (feather trees, glumprongs, sliver barbs, and sun berries)
- 11 (1.8%)
bug #2327 - Blunt weapons extremely ineffective, extended single combat with groundhog
- 14 (2.3%)
bug #4550 - Dodging into river/lava/from cliff etc
- 13 (2.1%)
bug #4552 - Siegers waiting by bodies of dead leaders
- 10 (1.6%)
bug #4833: When embarking, crashes when memory use reaches 2GB.
- 6 (1%)
bug #4856: Immortal Dwarf (... Yet unconcious) [or any other creature]
- 0 (0%)
bug #1609: Immigrant dwarves' skills often don't match their job settings
- 2 (0.3%)

Total Members Voted: 604

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: clothes fixed! | old poll results | poll restarted | 344/607 fixed  (Read 39564 times)

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
Re: The worst bug - poll
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2011, 09:53:04 am »

I don't really mind the clothes problems as much as these:
-my dwarves spend days in the armour stockpile, switching equipment in a constant loop
-my archers don't grab new bolts, even when no station/kill order is active (although there should be a way to make them grab new bolts even when there are active orders!)
-both enemies and my dwarves will sometimes completely ignore unconscious enemies. If issued an order to kill them, they'll just stand next to the target.

overall, the military part of the game is THE WORST ugghhhh
<3

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2011, 01:25:59 pm »

The current best example of this is the DF2010 channeling, which is a nerf of the 40d channeling to keep people from quickly making impassible barriers to siegers
I think it was done for completely different reason - to make doing big holes in ground easier. It is half-feature, because making many multi-level channel designations at once will end badly. Toady should implement also "always dig highest channels before digging any other". Hell, it is possible to dig in deeper without danger of cave-in with sufficiently intelligent "next tile to dig" choosing algorithm.

Anyway, at least now I can designate whole box instead of many stripes and other annoying micromanagement (assuming there is no digged terrain level below).

at which point the channels will go back to being actual channels instead of down ramps.
No, for reasons stated above it will not. If anything, it should be developed further.

In the meantime though, it causes many more problems than it fixes.  For example when trying to keep dwarves out of new (and active) magma canals.  I once lost 5 miners in a matter of seconds because they thought to use the magma channel as a walkway, which would not have happened if they'd been actual channels instead of ramps.  Unfortunately, without a way to tell your dwarves not to go places
There are restricted areas and burrows, but granted, doing it just for one channel is overkill. They probably should automatically avoid ramp if moving magma is nearby. Treat is as source of Fun. I personally never had this kind of problem.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2011, 08:46:52 pm »

I don't really mind the clothes problems as much as these:
-my dwarves spend days in the armour stockpile, switching equipment in a constant loop

overall, the military part of the game is THE WORST ugghhhh

The one time that happened to me, I figured out it was due to dwarves not layering properly. Unassigning the uniform (so they stripped naked) and then reassigning it worked, as they put on clothing in the right order.

Haven't encountered the other two though, and I tend to play military-heavy forts.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2011, 04:57:43 am »

What about crystal glass?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2011, 05:01:07 am »

What about crystal glass?

"bug #1498 - Crystal glass items can't be made, CRYSTAL_GLASSABLE appears broken"
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2011, 05:29:43 pm »

The current best example of this is the DF2010 channeling, which is a nerf of the 40d channeling to keep people from quickly making impassible barriers to siegers
I think it was done for completely different reason - to make doing big holes in ground easier. It is half-feature, because making many multi-level channel designations at once will end badly. Toady should implement also "always dig highest channels before digging any other". Hell, it is possible to dig in deeper without danger of cave-in with sufficiently intelligent "next tile to dig" choosing algorithm.

Anyway, at least now I can designate whole box instead of many stripes and other annoying micromanagement (assuming there is no digged terrain level below).

at which point the channels will go back to being actual channels instead of down ramps.
No, for reasons stated above it will not. If anything, it should be developed further.

In the meantime though, it causes many more problems than it fixes.  For example when trying to keep dwarves out of new (and active) magma canals.  I once lost 5 miners in a matter of seconds because they thought to use the magma channel as a walkway, which would not have happened if they'd been actual channels instead of ramps.  Unfortunately, without a way to tell your dwarves not to go places
There are restricted areas and burrows, but granted, doing it just for one channel is overkill. They probably should automatically avoid ramp if moving magma is nearby. Treat is as source of Fun. I personally never had this kind of problem.

That makes much more sense.  Still, would be nice to have the option to make sheer-walled channels.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2011, 12:41:14 am »

Clothing, whips and the overabundance of crappy artificats. Please no more wooden amulets.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2011, 08:26:43 pm »

That last one isn't so much a bug as it is an incomplete feature- those artifact willow flutes are gonna be pretty sweet once dwarves play music, and artifact orthoclase toy forges will be useful once dwarven children start craving amusement.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2011, 11:04:10 pm »

-both enemies and my dwarves will sometimes completely ignore unconscious enemies. If issued an order to kill them, they'll just stand next to the target.
Are you sure they don't just lack the stones to kill a helpless enemy? Did you check their personalities?

I don't know if the game actually checks for that but if not it should.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2011, 12:52:23 am »

Are you sure that it is not "0004856: Immortal Dwarf (... Yet unconcious)" (it may be even immortal puppy/cow/horse)?
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2011, 03:19:58 am »

None of these bugs particularly bothers me. By .25, most of the truly crippling bugs are gone. I'm really grateful to Toady for this. Personally, I think 'stuff overflow' is a bigger problem, which is more of a gameplay balance issue. It's not realistically possible to build a fort with sufficiently little stuff so that it doesn't affect FPS; not being a coding type, I don't know how much impact there is in this respect.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2011, 01:43:16 am »

I voted for one of the Clothing issues, although the military equip one would have been my second choice. The entire clothing industry is relegated to the concept of Crafts/Toys/Instruments because they're simply useless to the nudist-minded dwarves. I always have a thriving clothing industry simply because I enjoy the idea that everyone is clad in my rich midnight blue, hand-made leather cloaks with emblems lovingly stitched in silky red thread, a uniformed city that impresses all the humans, elves, and dwarves in the continent.

But no. Everyone hates the clothes I painstakingly weave for them. Unappreciated. >:(

The actual thing I hate about it is wear and tear. I create new, fresh clothes to replace the torn clothing, but they don't use it. It's annoying.

The military equip bug is similar in functional problem even if its core coding issue is completely different. I want them to make use of the products of my fort.

Some of these "bugs" listed are not bugs in my opinion. It is a very, very real possibility for warriors to accidentally dodge into a pit. You, as their overmind, need to understand HOW the dwarves' minds work and how to manipulate them into survival. Don't send them against the enemy UNTIL the dwarves will engage them in a place safe for them.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2011, 03:02:26 am »

Some of these "bugs" listed are not bugs in my opinion. It is a very, very real possibility for warriors to accidentally dodge into a pit. You, as their overmind, need to understand HOW the dwarves' minds work and how to manipulate them into survival. Don't send them against the enemy UNTIL the dwarves will engage them in a place safe for them.
Maybe it is intended that legendary dodger will happily hop into magma - but then it may be fixed by closing as "not a bug".

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2011, 06:05:46 am »

It is a very, very real possibility for warriors to accidentally dodge into a pit.
Dogding in wrong direction happens too often. It is because direction of dogde is chosen radomly and dwarves do not try at all to avoid certain directions, if need arise. This - mindless hopping - IS bug.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2011, 03:00:48 pm »

It is a very, very real possibility for warriors to accidentally dodge into a pit.
Dogding in wrong direction happens too often. It is because direction of dogde is chosen radomly and dwarves do not try at all to avoid certain directions, if need arise. This - mindless hopping - IS bug.
Not really. It's more like the lack of a feature. A bug would be if there was a system to prevent them from hopping into the adverse conditions, but that feature didn't work right. As it is, Toady hasn't implemented any such mechanism, so there's nothing there to be bugged.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11