Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should Mego do his updates?

Text and images. Old school is better.
- 23 (82.1%)
Live stream and video. Newfangled technology must be applied to everything!
- 5 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: January 19, 2012, 06:50:05 pm

Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 208

Author Topic: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25) (DEAD)  (Read 803711 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25)
« Reply #2475 on: May 26, 2012, 05:52:04 pm »

Yes there are. They're just not available in the biome Hellcannon exists in. Only OCEAN_ARCTIC, which I didn't know was a valid tag.
Really? I thought they were added in 0.34.01. Good to know.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: May 26, 2012, 08:08:48 pm »

Yes there are. They're just not available in the biome Hellcannon exists in. Only OCEAN_ARCTIC, which I didn't know was a valid tag.
Really? I thought they were added in 0.34.01. Good to know.

I can confirm this, actually.  I've seen engravings of penguins done by dwarves. Statues too.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: May 27, 2012, 09:42:32 pm »

The bird killed RL catalyst, it seems : /

Sorry!  I've been on the road and I expected the game would run on my laptop - it runs DF okay most of the time - but it just hasn't been working out with Hellcannon.  Soon, soon!
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: May 28, 2012, 04:25:09 am »

The bird killed RL catalyst, it seems : /

Sorry!  I've been on the road and I expected the game would run on my laptop - it runs DF okay most of the time - but it just hasn't been working out with Hellcannon.

Huh, didn't think Hellcannon was that insane yet. Now, Failcannon gave my brand-new-300-400-FPS-on-embark computer (at the time, it's slowed significantly) a run for it's money!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: May 31, 2012, 11:44:14 pm »

I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: June 01, 2012, 12:06:34 am »

Oh my god...  You actually got some stockpiles sorted out?  Kudos to you, Catalyst!

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: June 01, 2012, 01:09:23 am »

Oh my god...  You actually got some stockpiles sorted out?  Kudos to you, Catalyst!

BAHAHAHA!  Well-played sir.

EXTENSIVE update is being written... it is now Winter in the fort... and the crashing is worse than ever :-/  But stuff is progressing.  Full post within the hour.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: June 01, 2012, 01:14:20 am »

Whooo!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: June 01, 2012, 02:14:40 am »

Journal of Catalyst, Overseer and Body-Hopping Psychopath

With the bird buzzing about in our basement, I rounded up a team of volunteers to bravely sacrifice themselves for defend the fortress. As I am waiting for them to gather their equipment and rally for their charge, I scan the fortress quickly... and notice for the first time a dwarven corpse rotting (forbidden for some reason) in the STILL STALLED aquifer breach.  What a mess...  There is no time to contemplate this, however, as suddenly a goat and a cat are 'struck down' in two completely seperate parts of the fortress - by a rampaging hummingbird, no doubt.

The beast slaughters a cow next, but then it is engaged by a black bear and a vulture, which both managing to both get a grip on it with their teeth! GO! EAT IT, IT TASTES LIKE CHICKEN!  It will be enough to slow it down and distract it for a little while, at least.  The troops aren't rallied yet - but I give the order to engage anyway.  The bird finishes off the vulture and becomes preoccupied slaughtering cats atop the strange suspended platform I noticed earlier.  At least it will be busy a while.

Spoiler: Animal Cruelty (click to show/hide)

In response to the order to attack, Aussie just scurries off, the coward.  Conchobar goes in alone - Eric is limping behind but is very slow.  But surely Conchobar - the sole survivor of the old militia - is more than up to the task of killing this one bird.  .... Or not.

Then Eric arrives - not yet fully transitioned to his Recruit status - and soon suffers the same fate.

Clearly, I must take matters into my own hands - even if I have no combat skills and all I can do is attract its attention and lead it through the fort.  Yes... That was my intention in wandering down and getting attacked by it, I promise you...  Alright honestly I have no idea what I was thinking.  But I dashed to the stairs with it hot in pursuit - and managed to lead it down to the mines.  Then its long, needle-like beak and cruel mandibles closed around the back of my neck, and I felt no more.
Spoiler: What is this, four? (click to show/hide)

I immediately claimed a new body, naturally.  I'll put it to better use than it's former occupant anyway.  I intend to sacrifice this one breaching Hell.... What do you mean by that, "no regard for waste of life?"  Nonsense!  I have the highest regard for the lives of my fellow dwarves - there are so many wonderful things you can spend them on!

I had hoped that the bird would get lost in the mine tunnels - and so it seemed it had, for a moment.  But then Kar wanders by obliviously - and of course the beast gives chase.... but miraculously, only for a moment before Kar slips away!  The bird goes back to standing around staring at a wall, and all seems to be well.  But then one of Ledi's damn CATS attracts its attention, and runs straight at Kar when it gives chase.

HOLY SHIT and Kar decapitates it like it's no big deal.  I HAD NO IDEA HE EVEN HAD COMBAT SKILLS!  ... SWEET ARMOK HE DOESN'T

We grow ever closer to the time we can arm the Hellcannon.  Aussie starts making some of the final linkages.  Mego (finally) continues the aquifer project.  While the aquifer breach is being finished up, DevilEd III the Thief is taken by a fey mood and claims a magma forge. 

Meanwhile, outside, a random human hammerman is engaged in a feirce battle with some skeindeer.  He does pretty well until he's gored in his maul-hand.  Looks like he bought his caravan enough time to escape though - brave man.  This provides enough distraction that when Seanhl - a lone migrant - arrives, she can make it to the entrance of the fort... where she immediately runs into a skeletal polar bear.  I try to open the Hellcannon for her...and it works!  Seanhl is safely inside, and the gate is re-sealed. 

Noises from the deep...  This one is nowhere it can do us harm though.

A caravan and trade liaison come and go.  Kar acquires some interesting delicacies, some lobsters and turtle for shells, and some extra thread, glass and metals and other crafting materials, but nothing too noteworthy.  The cannon is progressing extremely well, almost all the links have been made, I've built in a few more interesting features and protections, and even the aquifer breach is almost done.  In the midst of all this I didn't notice that DevilEd III did not have the materials he needed.  In my defense, we probably couldn't have done anything for him anyway.

The date is now 10th Opal, Midwinter.  Our population is 22 dwarves.  My next update will concern the activation of the Hellcannon, and it will be my last.

~Catalyst
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 02:20:46 am by CatalystParadox »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: June 01, 2012, 02:28:50 am »

All hail our glorious leader, El Presidente Kal!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: June 01, 2012, 03:52:19 am »

Damn, Kar, way to show us all how to take down a beast AFTER we jump in the magma pipe.

Well, at least I got to kick it with my one remaining foot :P
I make Spellcrafts!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: June 01, 2012, 03:54:40 am »

Can we get his title changed to "Glorious El Presidente'"?

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: June 01, 2012, 09:10:01 am »

Can we get his title changed to "Glorious El Presidente'"?

He shall be "El Presidente Glorioso"

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: June 01, 2012, 09:39:58 am »

I take Gizogin and I survived the whole incident.

Still, El Presidente Glorioso deserves to be added to the badass entry in the tvtropes page. Going to do that now.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: June 01, 2012, 09:41:33 am »

I take Gizogin and I survived the whole incident.

Still, El Presidente Glorioso deserves to be added to the badass entry in the tvtropes page. Going to do that now.

You both did, yes.  Gizogin actually later had to put down the moody DevilEd.  You...  I think you may be unable to walk?  At least I HOPE you have a good excuse for never showing.  I should check this.

Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 208