Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717412 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #210 on: January 02, 2012, 01:29:20 am »

The fact that this is being said on a forum where we regularly find new ways to weaponize entirely fictional babies makes it even more serious.
An important distinction.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 02, 2012, 01:33:01 am »

The fact that this is being said on a forum where we regularly find new ways to weaponize entirely fictional babies makes it even more serious.
An important distinction.

Yes, thank you for that, I neglected to put that in there.

Still, many Bay12 forumgoers will willingly admit to being twisted. For one us to say that a man is truly evil has a bit of weight to it.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #212 on: January 02, 2012, 01:41:46 am »

No, again, I know you're trying to play off of the twisted magma cat-drowner elf-murder persona a lot of DFers cultivate for laughs, but that has nothing to do with the fact that Joe Arpaio is actually an evil human being.  That it comes from me or anyone else in no way modifies the fact itself.  Both a child with a toy telescope and Neil Armstrong are equally correct in saying that the Moon exists.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 02, 2012, 01:43:52 am »

No. No it does not.

No one here is outside the normal range of twisted.

Or at least the normal range when you take the number of people and account for the main demographic.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 01:46:08 am by Criptfeind »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #214 on: January 02, 2012, 01:48:26 am »

(An aside, but it's not exactly a secret that some people mistake a sense of humor with being able to repeat permutations of the same handful of 'jokes' endlessly.  This is apparent to anyone who's seen the Internet, obviously- outside of those with this affliction.)

Has anyone here done any work at polling places before?  A good buddy of mine has done so for the last few years and generally descibes it as a mixed bag of emotions, tending towards the depressing.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 02, 2012, 02:47:04 am »

Has anyone here done any work at polling places before?  A good buddy of mine has done so for the last few years and generally descibes it as a mixed bag of emotions, tending towards the depressing.

Do you mean an opinion polling agency?  Or a polling location, i.e. for voting day?

Last year I was a volunteer poll-watcher in my district, sitting there to observe the staff and note any funny business like people being given Provisional Ballots or over-eager campaign people within so many feet of the door.  I'd heard there was some intimidation and such in another part of town, but my job was completely superfluous and incredibly boring.  Everything was above-board all day, the staff were great people, the electronic ballot reader had to be fixed in the first hour, the touch-screen was just abandoned completely, and exactly 330 voters out of a district of about 3000 turned out to vote.  Interesting experience I guess, but not much to talk about.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 02, 2012, 03:17:45 am »

Yeah, siding with Arpaio even jokingly is in extremely poor taste, since the man is actually evil.

Yeah... I read a story a while back about a prison he was in charge of, where a woman held on prostitution charges was left in a metal cage outside for most of a day without any water or anything in glaring sun and intense heat.  She was found burnt to a crisp.  Comments on the news article indicated this was not an unusual thing for Joe Arpaio.  Definitely an evil guy.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 02, 2012, 03:33:42 am »

Looking over his wikipedia page...

Now now, anyone who likes pink boxers can't be all bad. Letting inmates sign up for organ donation doesn't sound half bad either, though of course that opinion is completely flipped if its "voluntary" instead of voluntary (and based on his record, wouldn't surprise me).

So yeah, mostly evil. Plenty of atrocities by dude, and he should probably be locked up in one of his own jail cells (or tents?). But pink boxers! I can't hate that.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 02, 2012, 05:54:38 am »

Now now, anyone who likes pink boxers can't be all bad. Letting inmates sign up for organ donation doesn't sound half bad either, though of course that opinion is completely flipped if its "voluntary" instead of voluntary (and based on his record, wouldn't surprise me).

So yeah, mostly evil. Plenty of atrocities by dude, and he should probably be locked up in one of his own jail cells (or tents?). But pink boxers! I can't hate that.

I feel a little weird trivializing it like this.

That being said, I'd rather criticize a man's actions and figure out what caused them than dehumanize the person and call him "evil"; all that accomplishes is denial that other people, normal people, might be capable of the same under the right circumstances.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 02, 2012, 06:14:36 am »

Yeah, I voted for McCain last election because I liked his enthusiasm for nuclear power and I've liked him since he ran for primaries in 2000.

But this latest flavor of Republican canidates are raging morons and ideologically bankrupt neoconservatives. I'll probably vote for Obama, just because I know he isn't likely to do as much damage to the country as any of his alternatives.

Better the devil you know...

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #220 on: January 02, 2012, 07:17:39 am »

Yeah... I read a story a while back about a prison he was in charge of, where a woman held on prostitution charges was left in a metal cage outside for most of a day without any water or anything in glaring sun and intense heat.  She was found burnt to a crisp.  Comments on the news article indicated this was not an unusual thing for Joe Arpaio.  Definitely an evil guy.

How is this guy not in jail?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 02, 2012, 07:32:01 am »

Fuck. And here I thought it was hyperbole. Okay, off the RP train, who was that Libertarian nominee?

Gary Johnson. Like I said, Ron Paul but without all the insanity and denial of reality (and that's one of the areas where he differs, right there)

How is this guy not in jail?
Because people there probably support him. Since he's only evil towards "bad guys", he's okay, right?

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 02, 2012, 07:55:53 am »

(trolling removed)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 03:25:23 pm by Toady One »

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 02, 2012, 07:58:35 am »

I agree with some of Ron Paul's positions, but I disagree with his views on foreign policy and taxes. Rick Perry has Joe Arpaio's support, so he's definitely the best candidate.
Having never heard of this Joe fellow, why's his approval what you're looking at?

http://voices.yahoo.com/i-nominate-sheriff-joe-arpaio-president-the-622202.html

To sum it up, Joe is tough on crime and illegal immigration.

I feel a little weird trivializing it like this.

That being said, I'd rather criticize a man's actions and figure out what caused them than dehumanize the person and call him "evil"; all that accomplishes is denial that other people, normal people, might be capable of the same under the right circumstances.

Joe, like Jack Bauer, does what's needed to be done.

He might be a little harsh, but the people of Arizona adore him. Arpaio has been reelected 4 (soon to be 5) times in a row. America has grown soft, and we need more folks like Joe Arpaio.

Y'all need more folks like Joe Arpaio in prison is what y'all need.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 02, 2012, 09:36:37 am »

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 714