Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720720 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #645 on: January 09, 2012, 12:50:02 am »

The victory of the country no longer being full of racist institutions.  Are you unaware of pre-civil rights america?

You get on a high horse about not suffering defects that aren't even an issue because of the battles fought by previous generations.  Are you also proud about never burning witches?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #646 on: January 09, 2012, 01:09:58 am »

The victory of the country no longer being full of racist institutions.  Are you unaware of pre-civil rights america?

You get on a high horse about not suffering defects that aren't even an issue because of the battles fought by previous generations.  Are you also proud about never burning witches?
Because a restaurant really matters that much to the country. I'm not talking about a school or hospital, or any public institution, I'm talking about a single restaurant. In fact, let's throw out the restaurant, let's say it's someone's house. They're both private property, so they're somewhat comparable. I guarantee to you a racist isn't going to stop being racist in their house.

And are you seriously saying that racism is "[not] even an issue"? In case you didn't notice, racism still exists.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: January 09, 2012, 01:11:30 am »

I'm not sure what's going on here. Is ECrownofFire saying it's actually not important at all that businesses can't refuse clients based on race?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: January 09, 2012, 01:39:41 am »

I wasn't clear, I meant that racism no longer exists as a social controversy.  It takes no courage to say "I'm not a racist."

How did we get that way?  Well we got that way because there were laws to grant equal rights.  The exact same rights that you are mocking as unimportant.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #649 on: January 09, 2012, 01:44:33 am »

I wasn't clear, I meant that racism no longer exists as a social controversy.  It takes no courage to say "I'm not a racist."

How did we get that way?  Well we got that way because there were laws to grant equal rights.  The exact same rights that you are mocking as unimportant.
I just don't think that the right to go to a restaurant run by a very obviously racist person is really all that much of a right.

Would you actually go to a restaurant run by a racist? Probably not. And if you would, then you're probably a racist too. Even if they couldn't disallow people of the "wrong" race, they're still racist.

The only difference that it makes is putting racism out of sight and out of mind. As long as it's not public, it doesn't exist as far as most people are concerned.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: January 09, 2012, 01:51:59 am »

Racism is no longer a social controversy.  It takes no courage to shun it.  Why do you keep insisting on doing so?

Are you really so naive that you think this just happened spontaneously?  Cuz it didn't.  It's the result of centuries of struggle for equality.  And now you sit here on this perch that brave people before you built with sweat, blood and courage.  And from that perch you dismiss their labors.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #651 on: January 09, 2012, 02:03:32 am »

Racism is no longer a social controversy.  It takes no courage to shun it.  Why do you keep insisting on doing so?

Are you really so naive that you think this just happened spontaneously?  Cuz it didn't.  It's the result of centuries of struggle for equality.  And now you sit here on this perch that brave people before you built with sweat, blood and courage.  And from that perch you dismiss their labors.
Yeah, you just keep building your straw-man.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: January 09, 2012, 02:05:07 am »

As interesting a topic as that is, I found a video that Huntsman is planning on airing as an ad soon. Here is the link. I couldn't find it on YouTube, so you'll have to bear with the proselytizing below. It was pretty good, up until the seemingly unnecessary "DEFEAT OBAMA!" message at the end. Maybe he's trying to rally extra super-duper support.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: January 09, 2012, 02:10:41 am »

Racism is still a major social issue.

Don't buy into the "we elected Obama therefore racism is over!" camp. It's clearly false.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: January 09, 2012, 02:14:11 am »

Racism is still a major social issue.

Don't buy into the "we elected Obama therefore racism is over!" camp. It's clearly false.

I'll buy it when people stop telling me to "Go back to Mexico/Somewhere in the Middle East." Fuck you, asshole people, I'm of Native American descent. If anyone had a right to say, "Go back from whence ye came," it'd be the Natives.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: January 09, 2012, 02:22:28 am »

To be fair, at this point you'd have to exhume quite a few wombs for people to make good on that demand. It just doesn't seem feasible. Probably need a shrink ray to cram people into corpses into corpses into corpses and so on before shipping them back overseas. It's really never really made sense to me to tell somebody to go back where they came from if they're already in the nation of their birth. Or at all, really, but even moreso for that case.

EDIT: I mean, really, humanity. Is it that hard to tell the difference between a person and a culture? Are we still so dumb that we think that's a legitimate generalization? Are we going to start stoning kids because their parents stole a loaf of bread or something?

EDIT: Actually don't answer that.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 02:26:14 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: January 09, 2012, 02:23:05 am »

Aqizzar is going to image us again if we sidetrack onto racism.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 09, 2012, 02:26:20 am »

I did not say that racism doesn't exist.  I said it's not a CONTROVERSY.  It's not a controversy because the civil rights forces won.  Hence "It takes no courage to shun racism."

Never at any point did I say electing Obama meant racism is gone forever. ???

Yeah, you just keep building your straw-man.

What straw man?  You keep saying that people would shun racist places in response to me saying that civil rights legislation is important.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 02:27:56 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: January 09, 2012, 02:41:32 am »

The point is not in going to racist restaurants. The point is in not allowing people to discriminate others as a principle. In restaurants or elsewhere.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: January 09, 2012, 02:49:59 am »

Mainiac, you are attacking ECrown's example of the struggle between "positive" and "negative" rights (as they were called by someone on the previous page) and completely missing the point of the example. The issue has literally nothing to do with civil rights. The quality of the example is not important. The argument that he poses is.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 714