Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717401 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #2070 on: February 19, 2012, 02:25:45 am »

As long as you need money to make money, wealth will never have more than a tentative correlation to hard work and/or aptitude. The hard workers are making minimum wage. The geniuses are in R&D on salary.

Not only this, but as long as you can make money by having money. As long as people with money can get exponentially more money through solid investments, how is anyone else going to squeeze their way toward the top?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: February 19, 2012, 02:35:32 am »

$15 Trillion in debt and spiraling out of control.
Just minor enlightenment there; the states're actually at a lower debt than we were back in WWII, when measured as a % of the GDP. 15 trill's still insane, yes, but the states have been in a worse position before, several times.

But yeah, the question re: spending is always the same -- what gets cut? S'a discussion for another thread, though, if it's not something one of the candidates are campaigning on.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: February 19, 2012, 02:46:37 am »

$15 Trillion in debt and spiraling out of control.
Just minor enlightenment there; the states're actually at a lower debt than we were back in WWII, when measured as a % of the GDP. 15 trill's still insane, yes, but the states have been in a worse position before, several times.

It is a problem when other countries own the debt. 

But yeah, the question re: spending is always the same -- what gets cut? S'a discussion for another thread, though, if it's not something one of the candidates are campaigning on.

The candidates do not focus on it because it would be political suicide to openly talk about cutting down the size of government. 

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: February 19, 2012, 02:48:09 am »

The candidates do not focus on it because it would be political suicide to openly talk about cutting down the size of government.

Well, there's a fair sized branch of American politics that believes its not.  They just have to find creative ways to say so.

And yes, this is a topic a bit too broad and heated for me to really welcome it here, because I've seen it happen a hundred times before.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: February 19, 2012, 06:39:55 am »

Yeah, what Aqizzar said. This is the Election thread, not the "What's fucked up with America?" thread. Which would need a computer the size of the Earth to properly hold it all.

So, we're all mostly familiar with the line of "reasoning" among some evangelical Protestants that the Catholics aren't really Christians, right?
Well, now we have a speech dredged up from 2008 where Rick Santorum is basically saying the opposite at a lecture at a Catholic university: that American Protestants are "gone from the world of Christianity".

Be interesting to see if this gets much play from his rivals. Nothing like a little old-school sectarian warfare to liven things up. They gonna party like its 1629!

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: February 19, 2012, 08:12:27 am »

Yeah, what Aqizzar said. This is the Election thread, not the "What's fucked up with America?" thread. Which would need a computer the size of the Earth to properly hold it all.

So, we're all mostly familiar with the line of "reasoning" among some evangelical Protestants that the Catholics aren't really Christians, right?
Well, now we have a speech dredged up from 2008 where Rick Santorum is basically saying the opposite at a lecture at a Catholic university: that American Protestants are "gone from the world of Christianity".

Be interesting to see if this gets much play from his rivals. Nothing like a little old-school sectarian warfare to liven things up. They gonna party like its 1629!

I suppose that is what is fucked up with America, the focus on such non-issues. 

I guess congress not having passed a budget in over 1000 days is not important.  I suppose that government now being the sole lender of post-secondary financial aid is also a non-issue.  PPACA?  All good.  Fast and Furious?  Nope.  All that money squandered on green energy?  Just tax rich people more.  Shitty economy that hasn't done anything in 3 years?  Gonna need another term to fix it.  Education system that is broken and in need of an overhaul?  Throw more money at it. 

Oh, right.. I suppose a candidates religious beliefs are a good indicator of how well he run the country. 

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: February 19, 2012, 09:16:36 am »

All that money squandered on green energy?  Just tax rich people more.

Because we all know that reliance on fossil fuels is going to be great in the long-term, and that the rich in the US pay more than their fair share.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: February 19, 2012, 10:19:05 am »

I'm British and vote for Ron Paul.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: February 19, 2012, 10:26:11 am »

As long as you need money to make money, wealth will never have more than a tentative correlation to hard work and/or aptitude. The hard workers are making minimum wage. The geniuses are in R&D on salary.

Not only this, but as long as you can make money by having money. As long as people with money can get exponentially more money through solid investments, how is anyone else going to squeeze their way toward the top?

Honestly, I'd let people with money make as much money as they possibly can, I'd just tax the majority of it. Also, investments can fail, so they are taking a risk with their money when they play these games with it. Also, investment and financing and loans are immensely important for growing the economy and allowing new businesses to get up and running.

If there was no real incentive to offer loans or buy shares of a corporation, the economy would stagnate and would cripple innovation and kill off new ventures before they were born. All and all, while the ultra-rich capitalist sorts don't work very hard, they do contribute to the economy.

Again, I'd also tax them to the point where they'd almost want to quit doing this.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: February 19, 2012, 10:26:47 am »

I suppose that is what is fucked up with America, the focus on such non-issues. 

I guess congress not having passed a budget in over 1000 days is not important.  I suppose that government now being the sole lender of post-secondary financial aid is also a non-issue.  PPACA?  All good.  Fast and Furious?  Nope.  All that money squandered on green energy?  Just tax rich people more.  Shitty economy that hasn't done anything in 3 years?  Gonna need another term to fix it.  Education system that is broken and in need of an overhaul?  Throw more money at it. 

Oh, right.. I suppose a candidates religious beliefs are a good indicator of how well he run the country.
It's not that they're not important, it's that this thread is not the place for that discussion. From the OP:
And yes, I know this is a politics thread, but let's try to have too many policy arguments, okay?  It's inevitable, but I'd like to keep everything civil here, and the horserace of electioneering is more than enough to keep everyone entertained without a firestorm of pointless ideological debates.

Might I suggest the progressive rage/annoyance thread, if you're so inclined? (although I gather you'd be more annoyed at the progressives there than what they're annoyed at)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: February 19, 2012, 10:35:24 am »

Nope.  All that money squandered on green energy?  Just tax rich people more.  Shitty economy that hasn't done anything in 3 years?

1) We spend more money on oil subsidies then we do on green energy subsidies.
2) The economy has grown been growing at a decent clip in the past two years.  It's just that the financial crises fucked things up so far that there's plenty of distance still to go.  This is hardly surprising, it often take a decade or more to recover from a severe financial crises.  And considering that some nations like the UK (poster child of austerity) and Greece STILL aren't growing, we could be doing a lot worse.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: February 19, 2012, 10:49:01 am »

And considering that some nations like the UK (poster child of austerity) and Greece STILL aren't growing, we could be doing a lot worse.
It's not that the UK "still isn't't growing".  It's that the UK economy WAS growing until austerity kicked in and reversed that last quarter.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: February 19, 2012, 11:04:32 am »

You can't sustain growth forever on government debt.

Austerity is just a reality check, really.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: February 19, 2012, 11:07:27 am »

This isn't forever though.  This is when the economy is severely depressed.  If you are complaining about structural deficits then complain when interest rates aren't at the zero bound, we have 3-5 percentage of the population cyclically unemployed and cutting deficits would be self defeating like in the UK.  I.E. the bush deficits were a good time.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: February 19, 2012, 11:16:50 am »

This isn't forever though.  This is when the economy is severely depressed.  If you are complaining about structural deficits then complain when interest rates aren't at the zero bound, we have 3-5 percentage of the population cyclically unemployed and cutting deficits would be self defeating like in the UK.  I.E. the bush deficits were a good time.

A severe recession isn't a great time to accumulate government debt, either. When the good times come back, the government is going to have to crash the party by introducing austerity measures to cover the debt. So you can lengthen a recession or abort a good economy, austerity measures aimed at reducing debt are going to suck no matter what part of the boom-bust cycle it's implemented.

Although, I think it'd be ideal if the government never went into deficit in the first place unless it absolutely had to. I think it'd help dampen the extremes of the economic cycle, if at least the government could be consistent with it's spending even if revenue declines or increases.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 714