Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720692 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #2865 on: March 20, 2012, 05:46:30 pm »

Just for the record, that is not how tax rates work.  Getting a pay raise will never ever cause you to pay a higher percentage of your income in taxes, that's what the "brackets" are all about.

I know you're probably just misinformed about that, but I meet people all the freakin' time who insist on believing the "getting a raise can cost you income because of taxes" myth, and reject any explanation to the contrary.
Didn't know that one (the UK tax system being kindof weird doesn't help here - you kindof lose your lower bands as you earn more).  Still sucks though, and even if earning more can't leave you with less I don't think a sudden huge spike is helpful.  It'd still make employers reluctant to pay past a certain point.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: March 20, 2012, 05:52:49 pm »

Do they have to have a plurality at the caucuses/primaries or do they have to have a plurality on the convention floor?

That's a good question, especially with cases like Mississippi where Santorum won the plurality of the primary but Romney was awarded more of the state's delegates (13 to 12 that is) thanks to the "unbound" delegates (read: party chairmen saying who the nominee will be).  Thanks to the way the race has already shaken out, I don't think that's going to come into contention though.  If Santorum doesn't have a plurality of actual delegates from at least five states by the end, it's safe to guess that Romney will have more than 1144 anyway.

I was thinking a different angle.  Suppose in the first round of voting, Gingrich has only 2 states, South Carolina and Georgia.  But the first round doesn't have a majority so there's a second round, where suddenly everyone decides they really like Newt (mass head trauma?).  Can he have a plurality of the states in this second round or is he disqualified because he never won enough primaries/caucuses?

People talk about dark horses, which these rules would disqualify if you needed the plurality of caucuses.  But this rule seems to be practically meaningless if it's based on support on the floor.  A candidate that completely sweeps the biggest 4 states gets like 600 votes from them.  It's kinda hard to see how they could get another 600 votes from the remaining states without taking a plurality in a single one of them.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: March 20, 2012, 06:28:37 pm »

People talk about dark horses, which these rules would disqualify if you needed the plurality of caucuses.  But this rule seems to be practically meaningless if it's based on support on the floor.  A candidate that completely sweeps the biggest 4 states gets like 600 votes from them.  It's kinda hard to see how they could get another 600 votes from the remaining states without taking a plurality in a single one of them.

I didn't think about it at first, but given all the (intrinsically hyperbolic) talk of a "brokered convention", whereby somebody who didn't even actually run is trotted out and nominated, I'm going to take a stab in the dark that "plurality in at least five states" means "delegate votes at the convention", since there's no other way that scenario would be possible.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: March 20, 2012, 06:33:16 pm »

I thought I was alone on this....but I'm kind of expecting the Republican convention to be a "real" convention this time around, because neither Santorum or Gingrich seem to give a fuck about the prevailing party opinion. So if they've got delegates...why not take the convention seriously? Romney is so vulnerable that I think Santorum could actually take the nomination in one of those "seat of your pants" conventions.

I just don't see either of them going this far and then saying "Oh, the guys in the back room want to call this one? Sure, let me just get out of the way."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: March 20, 2012, 06:49:39 pm »

I just don't see either of them going this far and then saying "Oh, the guys in the back room want to call this one? Sure, let me just get out of the way."

To be perfectly fair, that's what a lot of people said about Hilary Clinton too, at much this same stage of the primaries, and look how that turned out.

Do Rick Santorum and/or Newt Gingrich have bigger, more self-serving egos than Hilary Clinton, or is their fiery opposition to Romney going to disappear the moment the race ends?  That's an open question, although I think history is bearing out in Clinton's favor in regard to the former.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: March 20, 2012, 06:59:31 pm »

Then again, we didn't see Hilary self-destructing on the way to the convention. Both Santorum and Gingrich, on the other hand....When you're acting in a way that completely embarrasses the party, and instead of moderating, you double down...yeah. This Republican nomination to me has exceeded the Democratic nomination in terms of media hype and coverage, and unlike Hilary v. Obama, there isn't a clear "Oooohhh we'd really like that guy" candidate among the Republicans. In a race to the bottom, I expect all of them to duke it out at the convention.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 07:20:43 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: March 20, 2012, 07:04:40 pm »

Both Newt and Gingrich.
Huh, both Newt AND Gingrich?  :P
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: March 20, 2012, 07:19:53 pm »

Newts and Santorumanders are difficult pests to get rid of.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: March 20, 2012, 07:20:52 pm »

Both Newt and Gingrich.
Huh, both Newt AND Gingrich?  :P

You mean what I know.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: March 20, 2012, 07:36:50 pm »

Newts and Santorumanders are difficult pests to get rid of.
Do... do Santorumanders evolve into Santorumeleons and then Santorizards?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: March 20, 2012, 07:38:00 pm »

No. They don't believe in evolution.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: March 20, 2012, 07:40:56 pm »

A brokered convention isn't going to happen unless Santorum and Gingrich start getting bigger shares of the remaining delegates.  If Romney just keeps his current pace he will cinch the nomination with a little breathing space.  No matter the size of their egos, if Romney has the support of a plurality, then there will not be a brokered convention.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: March 20, 2012, 07:59:39 pm »

By the way, news networks calling Illinois for Romney: With 20% of the vote in, Romney's running away with a serious majority, and all exit polls suggest the same should hold true through the rest of the count.  Santorum might narrow a bit, but this one looks pretty closed.

I will officially the first person to jump on the "Santorum is as good as over" bandwagon.  It's definitely just a question of whether Romney will reach 1144 by the end, and whether he'll need the unboard delegates to get over the top.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: March 20, 2012, 08:03:10 pm »

I don't know, I think the superdelegates are probably going to be more on Santorum's side than Romney's.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: March 20, 2012, 08:10:22 pm »

I don't know, I think the superdelegates are probably going to be more on Santorum's side than Romney's.

Based on what evidence?  Romney leads in the super delegates who have publicly made endorsements so far.  Why would they intentionally destroy their party if they don't feel strongly about the issue to make an endorsement yet?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 714