Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 721215 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #3345 on: May 09, 2012, 06:08:55 pm »

Added benefit of getting himself reelected, too.
You have to be joking.  This took huge balls on his part re: the elections, because the states that it would get him favor in (west coast, New York) are all going to vote for him anyway, and the battleground states might not be so happy about this.
Right right, but I was referring to any political candidate going against their personal views for political reasons. Not necessarily Obama (and I've no reason to believe his personal views are against gay marriage either).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: May 09, 2012, 06:11:04 pm »

That, to me, would be the main advantage in switching to something like AV or runoff voting (they have it for the French presidential elections, which as a consequence are very popular and allow people to vote for whatever obscure candidate they like without splitting the vote... well, except in really weird situations).  You could make a protest vote while also keeping out whoever you don't like.
Which would be a great plan except for the part where the people in power would never allow it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: May 09, 2012, 06:17:10 pm »

Runoff voting is done in some major cities, such as Minneapolis, San Francisco, and Portland, ME.  So it's not an untried concept.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: May 09, 2012, 06:56:09 pm »

That, to me, would be the main advantage in switching to something like AV or runoff voting (they have it for the French presidential elections, which as a consequence are very popular and allow people to vote for whatever obscure candidate they like without splitting the vote... well, except in really weird situations).  You could make a protest vote while also keeping out whoever you don't like.
Which would be a great plan except for the part where the people in power would never allow it.

Sort of like how the 17th amendment would never pass?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #3349 on: May 09, 2012, 07:07:49 pm »

Added benefit of getting himself reelected, too.
You have to be joking.  This took huge balls on his part re: the elections, because the states that it would get him favor in (west coast, New York) are all going to vote for him anyway, and the battleground states might not be so happy about this.
I don't think so.   I think that they interpreted the move was adequate at this point. 

Do you all think Joe Biden's declaration (and the amount of reporting about it) is just a coincidence? 

They tested the waters and decided it was time.  I think that, overall.  It was a smart political move. 

And I still despise single issue voters.  Intensely.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: May 09, 2012, 07:18:00 pm »

Do you all think Joe Biden's declaration (and the amount of reporting about it) is just a coincidence?

It's pretty typical for VPs to play the Bulldog on issues so president can appear to remain above the fray, judiciously weighing the opinions of the whole country. In this particular instance, I think it was an attempt to show liberal democrats the administration is still "blue" on social issues and reassure them. Except I think it had the opposite effect. It's telling that Biden, who gets treated like a walking punchline, looks like he's on the right side of the issue compared to Obama.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:23:53 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: May 09, 2012, 09:03:17 pm »

You are aware PTTG, that all that does it split the vote and allows people you disagree with even more to end up winning.  Here in Minnesota, Tim Pawlenty never won a majority of voters, but got two terms because of people voting for the Independence Party candidates.

I've always hated the "Don't split the vote!" argument against voting 3rd Party. It's only valid if people believe that it is, and thus are afraid to vote 3rd party... circular logic at its finest.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: May 09, 2012, 09:06:26 pm »

Then come up with a viable third party candidate, for once.  People like Jesse Ventura don't come around very often.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: May 09, 2012, 09:15:08 pm »

One could just as easily argue he got two terms because not ENOUGH people voted for the Independents, you know.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: May 09, 2012, 09:16:30 pm »

Point.  For the record, this is why I support runoff voting, or something better than first-past-the-post.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: May 09, 2012, 09:31:23 pm »

You are aware PTTG, that all that does it split the vote and allows people you disagree with even more to end up winning.  Here in Minnesota, Tim Pawlenty never won a majority of voters, but got two terms because of people voting for the Independence Party candidates.

I've always hated the "Don't split the vote!" argument against voting 3rd Party. It's only valid if people believe that it is, and thus are afraid to vote 3rd party... circular logic at its finest.

Depends on what you're trying to accomplish.  I overheard my boss get a phoneback call from the RNC today.  He actually got testy with the poor schmuck, saying he'd given up being a Republican and might chip in a few bucks if Romney becomes conservative before the election.  I asked him if he was going to vote for Romney.  His exact answer was, "Of fucking course".  So, if you're a Democratic strategist, you'd be pretty keen on turning people off from third-party candidates that'd compete for the same ideological space as a sitting Democrat, because their chief competition probably isn't going to have the same concern.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: May 09, 2012, 10:04:04 pm »

Though I would like to mention that run-off voting is pretty much strictly inferior to (and more expensive than) approval voting.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: May 09, 2012, 10:29:34 pm »

It isn't circular, it is a spiral. It is true because enough other people believe it is, kind of like the reason why money is valuable.

Though I would like to mention that run-off voting is pretty much strictly inferior to (and more expensive than) approval voting.
What part is inferior other than the cost?
Soaplent green is goblins!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: May 09, 2012, 10:38:45 pm »

Well, there are two general philosophies behind election results - basing it around the most desired candidate, or the candidate desired by the most people, and approval voting is superior from both sides at selecting the candidate that best matches the criteria.

There are whole swathes of the Internet dedicated to running the numbers and scenarios around this stuff if you're interested, I worked through it all once to satisfy my curiosity and promptly forgot all the details. I could probably dig some stuff back up, though...

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: May 09, 2012, 10:41:54 pm »

But at the same time its strictly superior to what we have in the US.

We can't really have more then two parties in the united states, it doesn't really work with our voting system.
If a third party does come about, and is powerful enough to rally rival one of the two more powerful parties (for a significant duration), then it basically means that one of the parties is dead or dying.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there has ever really been three viable parties (if I am wrong, could someone point me at a period in american history where we had three viable parties for at least a dozen years)?
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 714