Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717479 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #5160 on: August 31, 2012, 10:00:52 am »

Well, apparently I missed the later part of the ramble. Sounds like it was more embarrassing than I realized. The memes have been fun, though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #5161 on: August 31, 2012, 10:29:17 am »

Well, apparently I missed the later part of the ramble. Sounds like it was more embarrassing than I realized. The memes have been fun, though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, at one point he talked about closing Gitmo and withdrawing from Afghanistan. The bodyguards around him looked pretty nervous.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5162 on: August 31, 2012, 11:13:09 am »

The BBC linked to this article from the front page as, "Clint Eastwood at the Republican National Convention 'Awesome' or 'sad'?"

I assumed it was one of the usual watered down attempts at showing equal amounts of criticism and compliments. Turns out they had so few compliments that the sole one in the article was also in the link text.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5163 on: August 31, 2012, 11:17:23 am »

I feel sorry for the guy.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5164 on: August 31, 2012, 11:31:42 am »

I feel sorry for the guy.
Me too. He's a great actor/director and he's always been a relatively low-key moderate Republican. And now, he's going to go down in popular imagination as the real-life Grandpa Simpson.

In other news, Todd Akin is not too happy that Karl Rove has been making jokes about having him murdered.

Oh that wacky GOP-on-GOP-violence humor! My favorite comment attached to the story:
"Todd Akin should be fine, because a man's body has a way of shutting down death when it's a mysterious murder and not a legitimate one."
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 01:11:29 pm by RedKing »

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5165 on: August 31, 2012, 01:42:55 pm »

In other news, Todd Akin is not too happy that Karl Rove has been making jokes about having him murdered.

Akin's office issued a statement calling the quote deeply disturbing, given that the FBI has been investigating threats against Akin after his comments that women's bodies can shut down pregnancy in cases of what he called "legitimate rape."

You know what's more deeply-disturbing than Rove's "threat"? The fact that Congressmen, who are in charge of making policies about abortion, don't even know how reproductive biology works. Or that Congressmen, who are trying to be in charge of the Internet, don't understand basic networking principles. I'm seeing a trend here.

Let's elect some scientists to Congress.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5166 on: August 31, 2012, 01:47:24 pm »

Let's elect some scientists middle school graduates to Congress.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5167 on: August 31, 2012, 01:58:53 pm »

This is why John Adams suggested a third chamber on Congress consisting of "the learned". John Adams was a smart guy.  :-[

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #5168 on: August 31, 2012, 01:59:00 pm »

The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5169 on: August 31, 2012, 02:04:33 pm »

This is why John Adams suggested a third chamber on Congress consisting of "the learned". John Adams was a smart guy.  :-[

Double SIGH.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5170 on: August 31, 2012, 02:06:53 pm »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5171 on: August 31, 2012, 02:13:14 pm »

Watching the speech... Clint.... you're better than this...

Honestly. He's not a speech maker. Which you would think would be something an actor could do, but not Clint Eastwood. From what I can tell, he's not the kind of guy who normally gets up on stage and does these things.

Geez... this is... so... I can't watch this.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5172 on: August 31, 2012, 02:15:24 pm »

Yeah they also thought the senate would be for intellectual debate back then.  Elitism sounds really great on paper.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #5173 on: August 31, 2012, 03:59:29 pm »

Clint: Debates invisible Obama, still struggles with his opponent's powerful debate technique.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5174 on: August 31, 2012, 04:01:41 pm »

Heard some of Ryan's speech to the Republican faithful this morning while I was at the eye doctor. The applause was tepid. If you can't fire up the group he was talking to more than that, that's a bad sign.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 ... 714