Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 720773 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #5805 on: September 27, 2012, 02:50:02 pm »

Sorry about that, I'm pretty sure the site itself doesn't contain any malware.  Keep off the external links then.

I was looking at his methodology and it seems like he doesn't understand statistics. I might also take him a little more seriously if he had links to any news articles that weren't from The Examiner.
It seems to run deeper than that.  The "methodology" consists of assuming that there are more conservatives than liberals and messing with the polls accordingly.

Unfortunately despite what he says, his results are certainly skewed. He disregards the significance of the source of his poll. He claims that double weighting(his idea of double weighting) prevents republican poll results from skewing the overall picture but fails to account for the fact the fact that the majority of democrats and many independents avoid polls from such right wing "news" outlets. Qstarnews is absurd in it's editorial alignment. There are some left wing sources that are also bad, so it is best to choose a well renowned source such as FiveThirtyEight.com

In the end, all that matters is electoral votes and even though the popular vote is close, electoral predictions show a bloodbath. I personally am undecided in the election but am keeping a close eye as I have a vested interest in political database software.

BTW, I have 2 copies of The Political Machine 2012 on Steam if anyone wants one. Will give a copy to the first 2 people to PM me with an email address I can send it to. Copies went to Descan and RedKing.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 02:56:07 pm by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5806 on: September 27, 2012, 02:57:41 pm »

Well, and the justification for counter-weighting polls (this is hardly the only right-wing site I've seen that does this) is "liberal media bias". No statistical proof, just an assumption that "obviously these media pollers are lefties so they they think they're in the majority, but we know the silent majority really agrees with us, so let's just fudge the numbers to see what the vote would be like if that's true".

And then when the actual vote comes out closer to the media poll numbers, they take it as confirmation that the process is rigged and there's massive voter fraud.  ::)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5807 on: September 27, 2012, 06:41:54 pm »

This analysis of a current Romney attack ad is mindboggling. How anyone expected this to pass even the flimsiest scrutiny is beyond me.

http://factcheck.org/2012/09/romney-ad-on-china-mangles-facts/
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5808 on: September 27, 2012, 07:01:08 pm »

I find it strange that the fact checker spent so many pixels talking about the tire spat and didn't mention how Chinese currency manipulation has decreased markedly since 2010.  Not only has the Yuan appreciated 7% against the dollar but the peg has been loosened greatly so that the currencies float against each other somewhat.

Before Obama was in office, the exchange rate was what the CCP decided it should be.  Now there is some flexibility.  This is Win-Win, US exports will help China keep inflation in hand while Chinese imports will help US employment.  This isn't a situation where you want to start a trade war, it's where you need diplomacy to let both sides go ahead.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5809 on: September 27, 2012, 07:02:33 pm »

Also, if USA-PRC trade collapses, everyone dies. A decent portion of the global economy is invested in that link alone.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5810 on: September 27, 2012, 07:06:42 pm »

Uh, trade doesn't really work like that unless you are a 17th century colonial power.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5811 on: September 27, 2012, 07:10:16 pm »

Trade collapse won't directly kill everyone, of course, but if USA-PRC trade collapses the effect on the global economy will be enough to buckle everyone else's economies as well. The EU is already in a state of economic weakness. This will lead to resource shortages, which will in turn lead to war.

Luckily, this is very unlikely.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5812 on: September 27, 2012, 07:41:48 pm »

I find it strange that the fact checker spent so many pixels talking about the tire spat and didn't mention how Chinese currency manipulation has decreased markedly since 2010.  Not only has the Yuan appreciated 7% against the dollar but the peg has been loosened greatly so that the currencies float against each other somewhat.

Before Obama was in office, the exchange rate was what the CCP decided it should be.  Now there is some flexibility.  This is Win-Win, US exports will help China keep inflation in hand while Chinese imports will help US employment.  This isn't a situation where you want to start a trade war, it's where you need diplomacy to let both sides go ahead.
The fact checker focused on the claims being made, namely that Obama's China policy allowed them to rip off US intellectual property and restricted military technology (although I wonder at the point of classifying the JSF too much, as it's being offered for export anyway, making secrets much harder to keep.) Despite currency manipulation being at the root of the attack, it's never mentioned or even implied, as it's too complicated for most people to comprehend (not a LCD attitude, it's quite high-level economics) while most of the people qualified to analyze the issue have already sounded the bullshit alarm.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5813 on: September 27, 2012, 09:21:33 pm »

Trade collapse won't directly kill everyone, of course, but if USA-PRC trade collapses the effect on the global economy will be enough to buckle everyone else's economies as well. The EU is already in a state of economic weakness. This will lead to resource shortages, which will in turn lead to war.
I can't conceivably see it causing a bad economy leading to war, unless things get so bad that dictators start to take, it may kill lots of people in Africa or parts of Asia (due to a bad economy causing more starvation and civil wars), but it won't cause any wars in Europe or kill a significant number of people there.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5814 on: September 27, 2012, 11:08:04 pm »

A trade collapse doesn't make the economy collapse.  Like I said, we are not a 17th century trading empire.

Imagine for example that a collapse were to happen in US imports of tube socks from China.  We suppose China is producing just as many tube socks but US consumers suddenly decide that they hate Chinese tube socks and refuse to buy a single tube sock made in China.  Would Walmart go out of business?

Of course not, they'd just buy up whatever inventories of non-Chinese tube socks are around and put them on the shelves.  Then they'd place large orders for tube socks made in England and Vietnam and the US and so forth and three weeks later the socks they ordered would hit the shelves.  (Three weeks is the amount of time it takes to ship an item from any industrial location in the world to US shopping locations at bulk rates.)  Maybe there'd be a slight blip as a few stores would be short of tube socks for a week but it wouldn't be like in the 70s when there wasn't enough gas to go around, people know that the world has plenty of tube socks.

When the dust settles the composition of trade would have changed slightly and we'd be slightly less efficient but there wouldn't be any loss of economic activity, just a relocation.  When previously the tube socks were made in China, now they're being made somewhere else.  China would probably start exporting whatever was previously made by the textile mills that are making Walmart's new tube socks.  Maybe the textile mills would go out of business but China is fighting inflationary pressures right now which indicates that there are plenty of other goods the laid of workers could start making.  The world economy would be a little less efficient but inefficiency doesn't cause recessions, if anything it actually ends recessions.

Now you might say that the situation is different if we are talking about a trade war between China and the US in every good, not just tube socks.  But it's just a bunch of the same story told at once, going both ways.  And trade wars don't happen overnight so the various commercial and industrial importers and exporters would have time to prepare before the music stops.  At the end of the day we get a little less efficient but like I said, that's actually kinda a plus for the US and Europe right now given the Great Recession.

What makes a trade collapse possible is if there are centers of production that have no value without the trade.  Think about some colonial era European colony with a valuable colony that produces spices or sugar cane or coffee.  The commodity is valuable in Europe so importing it makes the colonial power a lot of money.  Then one day a war breaks out that disrupts the import trade.  The valuable commodity sits in warehouses in the colony and rots.  The warehouses are full so the colony stops producing whatever it was exporting and has no other goods that it can produce.  So production is no longer possible.  It's not the decline in trade itself that is the problem, it's the decline in output that results.  This reduces the wealth in the same way that a major crop failure would.

A decline in Sino-American trade would not cause a decline in output like this.  Aggregate supply, the total world's output, would be unaffected, only redirected.  Both the US and China would be capable of producing as much as before it's just the US would need to buy more American and China buy more Chinese.  Without a reduction in aggregate supply a trade collapse would not lead to a collapse in economic activity and all the bad stuff that entails.

Sorry if this is a bit repetitive, it's been a while since I've read this stuff so I'm doing my best to be thorough so as to avoid mistakes.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #5815 on: September 27, 2012, 11:47:05 pm »

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2012/09/27/bls_benchmark_revisions_government_finds_386_000_new_jobs_.html

Note that this also means that the Obama Era has crossed the symbolically important zero line. More Americans are employed today than were when he took office.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
No Gods, No Masters.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #5817 on: September 28, 2012, 09:17:52 am »

???

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5818 on: September 28, 2012, 09:23:48 am »

???
Perhaps some context to this confusion?  What has confounded you good sir?

Also, pretty hilarious that Team Romney is already conceding defeat for the first debate.  In a way though, a preemptive narrative...  Which they expect Obama to react to, so that the whole debate won't just be Obama kickingcurbstomping Romney or something.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5819 on: September 28, 2012, 09:26:52 am »

I like the quote "Romney's campaign is so dead the Mormons just baptized it." It's hilarious and accurate.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 714