Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 721174 times)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #9330 on: November 12, 2012, 03:11:08 pm »

Evidence of fraud:
It's not exactly unheard of for Mittens to get 0% in a vote. Remember this poll?

Note that your second link says...

05 = Barack Obama/Joe Biden (DEM)             420,953   68.74
06 = Mitt Romney/Paul Ryan (REP)              184,475   30.12

...for the state. That's not exactly 100%. There were quite a few area where Romney only got a handful of votes (541 to 4 in one such area) but also quite a few areas where they only differed by a hundred votes or so. I don't know about Cleveland, but here's how my college voted, according to student polling:

(D) Barack Obama: 90%
(R) Mitt Romney: 4%
(G) Jill Stein: 4%
Other: 2%

Cleveland probably isn't as liberal in its entirety, but some districts might be.

I'm sure Pundit Press is wholly unbiased anyway.

Wow. Even by college standards that's unnervingly liberal.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9331 on: November 12, 2012, 03:14:21 pm »

My school voted for Obama 74%, Romney like 7%, Gary johnson half that, and Jill Stein the rest.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9332 on: November 12, 2012, 03:17:09 pm »

That's irrelevant. By being part of the military, you are complicit in what it does. If everyone refused to join or be drafted, there would be no war.

War is not the worst outcome though. In fact, sometimes war is preferable.

To paraphrase RvB
"I don't kill people for fun, it's my job."
"But you like killing people!"
"Well, I think it's important to enjoy what you do."

RvB just got quoted in a serious context. Shit just got real.

Anyway, I think Strife has a serious misunderstanding about the purpose of war. The goal in a war is not to kill all of the bad guys (for whatever definition of bad you choose). The goal is to convince whoever you are fighting against that it would be better for them to let you have your way, in a more offensive manner than treaty negotiations over tea. Sometimes it boils down to killing every last person on their side, but not usually. The American rebels didn't kill every single British soldier that stepped foot on the continent from 1775-1783. The Confederate army during the American Civil War was attempting to implement this strategy: their goal was to demoralize the Union into letting them have their way with states' rights and slavery (whichever you choose to believe was the main focus of the war), instead of fighting a long and drawn-out war. It's not necessary for an army to be the most efficient killing machine in existence. They just have to be able to pose enough of a threat that the enemy would rather surrender than have to deal with them.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9333 on: November 12, 2012, 03:19:29 pm »

Must've missed that new rule about only arguing with confused metaphors.

Well yeah, let's be honest here, I doubt more than one or two of us has done the kind of research necessary to debate anything we've said as an expert party. Everything else is just word games, fun, and philosophy.

I don't need to be an astronomer to tell you that we don't live in a geocentric universe.  Nor do I need to be a climatologist or economist to tell you that coal power plants are a very expensive form of energy production once you account for emissions.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9334 on: November 12, 2012, 03:22:06 pm »

That's irrelevant. By being part of the military, you are complicit in what it does. If everyone refused to join or be drafted, there would be no war.

War is not the worst outcome though. In fact, sometimes war is preferable.

To paraphrase RvB
"I don't kill people for fun, it's my job."
"But you like killing people!"
"Well, I think it's important to enjoy what you do."

RvB just got quoted in a serious context. Shit just got real.

Anyway, I think Strife has a serious misunderstanding about the purpose of war. The goal in a war is not to kill all of the bad guys (for whatever definition of bad you choose). The goal is to convince whoever you are fighting against that it would be better for them to let you have your way, in a more offensive manner than treaty negotiations over tea. Sometimes it boils down to killing every last person on their side, but not usually. The American rebels didn't kill every single British soldier that stepped foot on the continent from 1775-1783. The Confederate army during the American Civil War was attempting to implement this strategy: their goal was to demoralize the Union into letting them have their way with states' rights and slavery (whichever you choose to believe was the main focus of the war), instead of fighting a long and drawn-out war. It's not necessary for an army to be the most efficient killing machine in existence. They just have to be able to pose enough of a threat that the enemy would rather surrender than have to deal with them.

Yeah, but you pose a threat by being capable of doing something. I mean, don't get me wrong, inflatable tanks and the like are very powerful things, but at the end of the day, they're just deception that can be seen through with the wrong bit of knowledge.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9335 on: November 12, 2012, 03:45:22 pm »

here's how my college voted, according to student polling:

(D) Barack Obama: 90%
(R) Mitt Romney: 4%
(G) Jill Stein: 4%
Other: 2%

Wow. Even by college standards that's unnervingly liberal.
More than a hundred people were up until 3 AM dancing in the streets after Obama won. So uh, yeah.  :P

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9336 on: November 12, 2012, 04:03:37 pm »

We should rename the Democrats to Bidenocrats or something, so we can have proper RGB displays.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9337 on: November 12, 2012, 04:07:33 pm »

Red, Green and Blue are illusions.

There is only cyan, magenta, yellow and black.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9338 on: November 12, 2012, 04:11:33 pm »

On a computer screen, maybe. On a surface that reflects light rather than emitting it, red blue and green are the true colors, and cyan magenta and yellow are the lies.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9339 on: November 12, 2012, 05:16:50 pm »

Uhh, your computer screen is made of a bunch of tiny red, blue, and green pixels.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9340 on: November 12, 2012, 05:18:27 pm »

Wait yeah, I got that backwards. Oopsies.

RGB = emitting light.
CMY = reflecting.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9341 on: November 12, 2012, 05:18:32 pm »

On a computer screen, maybe. On a surface that reflects light rather than emitting it, red blue and green are the true colors, and cyan magenta and yellow are the lies.

(other way around, mate)

Edit: My correction was ninja-ed.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9342 on: November 12, 2012, 05:30:14 pm »

Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow are the primary colours.

Red and Blue are just nice-looking close approximations.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9343 on: November 12, 2012, 05:36:24 pm »

But more seriously, I think any three colours are primary colours, so long as they are opposite on the color wheel and there are three of them (plus black/white), essentially. Orange/Green/Violet also work. Which ones you choose are arbitrary.

And it only works if your a trichromat, too. Those humans who are one-level colourblind, or the lucky few with an an extra receptor, get 2 or 4, respectively.

And what is this, this isn't politics.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 05:41:38 pm by GlyphGryph »

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9344 on: November 12, 2012, 05:42:38 pm »

Wait yeah, I got that backwards. Oopsies.

RGB = emitting light.
CMY = reflecting.

RGB is computers [additive]
RYB is classic art [subtractive]
CMY is printing.

In reality, all colors are light. Light is just light. Color is just how our eyes "divide" light.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.
Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 714