Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 [646] 647 648 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717392 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #9675 on: November 18, 2012, 10:50:18 pm »

We're screwed no matter what if D.C. gets nuked.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9676 on: November 18, 2012, 10:55:53 pm »

We specifically have a procedure in place for whenever there are a lot of people in the presidential succession gathered together or otherwise possible to all die at once.  A random cabinet member in good healht is taken to a hidden bunker before the event and guarded by a small army of secret service people.  This happens whenever there is a state of the union address or when we get freaked out by something like 9/11.  So you'd not only need 17 people to die in an attack on the most secure location on earth, you'd also need the designated successor to die in a hidden location at the same time despite having no known medical complications.  I'm not saying it's impossible but... oh wait, yeah, it's impossible.

Nuclear weapons aren't that big a threat.  While all 19 people reside in Washington, it's very, very unusual for all of them to actually be in DC at the same time.  Outside of the State of the Union address, they are spread around the city enough that it would take more then a rogue nuke to kill em all.  We're talking either a very large ICBM or a barrage, i.e. one of the big 5 nuclear powers.  We'd have warning that the missiles were airborne and getting the president out of DC would be the least of our worries.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9677 on: November 18, 2012, 11:42:30 pm »

We specifically have a procedure in place for whenever there are a lot of people in the presidential succession gathered together or otherwise possible to all die at once.  A random cabinet member in good healht is taken to a hidden bunker before the event and guarded by a small army of secret service people.  This happens whenever there is a state of the union address or when we get freaked out by something like 9/11.  So you'd not only need 17 people to die in an attack on the most secure location on earth, you'd also need the designated successor to die in a hidden location at the same time despite having no known medical complications.  I'm not saying it's impossible but... oh wait, yeah, it's impossible.

Nuclear weapons aren't that big a threat.  While all 19 people reside in Washington, it's very, very unusual for all of them to actually be in DC at the same time.  Outside of the State of the Union address, they are spread around the city enough that it would take more then a rogue nuke to kill em all.  We're talking either a very large ICBM or a barrage, i.e. one of the big 5 nuclear powers.  We'd have warning that the missiles were airborne and getting the president out of DC would be the least of our worries.

Would we get shut down by the US government if we started brainstorming ways to circumvent this?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9678 on: November 18, 2012, 11:48:49 pm »

Would we get shut down by the US government if we started brainstorming ways to circumvent this?
Considering the Bay12 Space program, and the various nefarious things that occur in that thread, If we were going to be shut down they would have done it by now. Probably around the time we started thinking up ways to sell american secrets to china. Or the armed takeover of the DRC.

So, lets say, the best time would have to be early in a term, when the people are just getting acquainted with their jobs and such, and aren't flying around.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9679 on: November 18, 2012, 11:49:05 pm »

So...

"Bay 12's Plan to Completely Cripple the Line of Succession to the U.S. Presidency Thread"?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9680 on: November 19, 2012, 09:36:44 am »

NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9681 on: November 19, 2012, 12:16:38 pm »

One advantage of the US political system is that even if the federal government was crippled, the country as a whole would continue functioning because each state has its own government to step in and keep things going. Yes, lots of areas would have issues, but it wouldn't be the end of the country or anything. Especially since the Military would be able to continue functioning just fine even if the Pentagon was wiped out. They have lots of contingencies in place for that sort of thing.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9682 on: November 19, 2012, 12:30:04 pm »

Here in Belgium, we had no real government for over a year, and we did just fine. Of course, we don't have the kind of responsability that the US do, but still it's amazing how little input the bureaucracy doing the day-to-day running of the country need.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9683 on: November 19, 2012, 01:17:21 pm »

One advantage of the US political system is that even if the federal government was crippled, the country as a whole would continue functioning because each state has its own government to step in and keep things going. Yes, lots of areas would have issues, but it wouldn't be the end of the country or anything. Especially since the Military would be able to continue functioning just fine even if the Pentagon was wiped out. They have lots of contingencies in place for that sort of thing.
The american military is a snake with no head, just fangs, scales and assholes.

Lots and lots of assholes.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9684 on: November 19, 2012, 02:38:37 pm »

You're right. They would have to nuke a lot more than just Washington before we'd be good.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9685 on: November 19, 2012, 03:00:29 pm »

Here in Belgium, we had no real government for over a year, and we did just fine. Of course, we don't have the kind of responsability that the US do, but still it's amazing how little input the bureaucracy doing the day-to-day running of the country need.
Have you ever watched Yes Minister? If not, I highly recommend it.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9686 on: November 19, 2012, 03:11:10 pm »

The US would fall apart without the government. Ever head of the Government shutdown? It's essentially the ultimate nightmare. I don't know about you belgians, but other countries have not done so well without governments. A simlar country was Iraq, who was governmentless for about a year. I don't know about peace-loving, unarmed europeans, but damn is it all going to hell.

Plus, given the Military's still massive second-strike capability, it's entirely likely the day Washington is nuked, the US will simply surround the opposing country (say, North Korea) and obliterate it within 24 hours.

Of course there's the national anti-missile initiative, which focuses on interception of nukes from east asia, so north korea would most likley just end up failing and being invaded.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9687 on: November 19, 2012, 03:20:06 pm »

The US would fall apart without the government. Ever head of the Government shutdown? It's essentially the ultimate nightmare. I don't know about you belgians, but other countries have not done so well without governments. A simlar country was Iraq, who was governmentless for about a year. I don't know about peace-loving, unarmed europeans, but damn is it all going to hell.
You actually don't need government for day-to-day business, you need the bureaucracy. Iraq was a country without a state, Belgium a state without a government.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9688 on: November 19, 2012, 05:32:24 pm »

You actually don't need government for day-to-day business, you need the bureaucracy. Iraq was a country without a state, Belgium a state without a government.
without the $ how does the bureacracy work, without the govt how do you get the $?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9689 on: November 19, 2012, 05:35:30 pm »

Tax collection is done by the bureaucracy, not the government.

Asking that is no different to asking if we had no government, how would we catch criminals or put out fires, whilst all those are "government agencies", not one of them requires the legislature or executive for day to day operations.
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 [646] 647 648 ... 714