Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 845

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1283099 times)

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #4065 on: February 08, 2015, 01:22:15 am »

Can someone give me some advice for drawing different biomes, rivers and mountains on a map? I'm drawing one for a project, and I have an outline for the landmasses themselves that I'm happy with, but I don't really know where to go in terms of detailing their interiors using a mouse and Photoshop.

The project I mentioned may or may not be a forum game, so I won't post it here. If you want to see it before you suggest anything, PM me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: February 08, 2015, 01:38:21 am »

Friend. You've come to the right place. For a basic starting place, download the PDF in this post. Everything in the quoted post below is a result of experimentation from there - once you've got the basics worked out, if you want any tips on particular biomes, I'd be happy to offer any advice I can. Bear in mind, the scale on that sucker is pretty wonky, and you may want other resources for figuring out how biomes actually form and suchlike in reality.

Spoiler: Click to Embiggen (click to show/hide)
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: February 08, 2015, 01:56:43 pm »

Man, I didn't know my phone camera was good enough for that thing. Who needs a scanner?
Go forth, sketches from my sketchbook!

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #4068 on: February 08, 2015, 02:37:39 pm »

PHONE CAM BROFIST

Them's some pretty neat sketches yo, although one thing that strikes me is that they all have quite similar facial expressions. You'll probably not be surprised to hear this from me, but me thinks it may be related to the eyebrows, since they're pretty much all at the exact same height above the eyes. Don't be afraid to let them wander a bit, even if it means having them up on the forehead or halfway down through the eyes. :v (although obviously it's absolutely no requirement to go balls out with huge floating anti-gravity battlecruiser eyebrows like i tend to do)

Also, last night i finally decided to get off my arse and do the last request i had hanging, and well...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

AY ESQUELETO
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4069 on: February 08, 2015, 02:46:13 pm »

Greetings Skelamigo.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: February 08, 2015, 05:36:52 pm »

I've decided I needed to spend time making quick sketch animations, because I need to grind up speed and consistency.
Spoiler: First up: Bird (click to show/hide)

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: February 08, 2015, 06:17:45 pm »

I've decided I needed to spend time making quick sketch animations, because I need to grind up speed and consistency.
Spoiler: First up: Bird (click to show/hide)
The only noticeable oddity in that animation is how the bird's wing tips bend downward while it's flapping down. I'm gonna assume that's because you made the up motion first, then copied and reversed it for the down stroke?
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: February 08, 2015, 06:29:17 pm »

The only noticeable oddity in that animation is how the bird's wing tips bend downward while it's flapping down. I'm gonna assume that's because you made the up motion first, then copied and reversed it for the down stroke?
Ahh ... no, I did the down motion first. I don't really know how bird wings work, but assumed they made sort of a curved scooping motion.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: February 08, 2015, 07:22:38 pm »

IIRC bats make the curved scooping motion when the wings are lifted up, presumably to lower the wing-area that is moving against the air (and thus reduce the downwards force when prepairing to flap down again). I would imagine birds would work similarly. At the very least, I would bet that the down stroke and up stroke are considerably different somehow

There is probably slow-motion-camera footage on youtube of bird flight.

I do like how consistant your animation looks. Nothing oddly stretches or changes shape in any of the frames.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: February 08, 2015, 07:28:45 pm »

Well, here's a reference. Looks like they do sort of cup their wings as much as they're able, but air forces the feathers up at the tips.

I like the animation, for reasons that have already been mentioned.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: February 08, 2015, 07:41:10 pm »

A better way to think about bird flight is that the tips of the wings stay stationary and the bird's body moves in relation to the wing's movements.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #4076 on: February 08, 2015, 08:10:56 pm »

Only partways. The birds body does bob up and down while flying, but the wings definitely move at the same time. Intensive studies reveal to me that a flight animation can be boiled down to three frames:

Or so i think, anyways. I'm NOT a pro animator or birdologist (this guy seems to know more about birding). :v
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: February 09, 2015, 05:45:46 am »

I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: February 09, 2015, 10:08:55 am »

It was surprisingly fun to digitally re-create one of my yesterday's sketches (well, the sketch itself was a few weeks old but that's besides the point). I should do that more often.
Way more often.

Haven't shaded or properly colored anything in a while either.
Big image is big.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:13:22 am by DarkDXZ »

HawaiianJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Hawaiian Shirts are amazing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: February 09, 2015, 03:50:24 pm »

Yeah... what started off as a base idea that my art teacher had us do, turned into something that I started to sell for a bit of change.

I am sure most of my school has lost faith in humanity by the people who are buying my picture.
Also, that is me.
No drugs.
No alcohol.
Just why I don't sit near cameras... I WILL make faces.

WARNING, Giant image is stealth-ing within that little spoiler!
Needs an OBEY caption, imo.
Big Brother is watching...

You have no clue how many people at my school have said that...
Also I have it hanging in various areas...
Some people are scared of me;
Some wonder how the hell I sell the pictures off.
Flaming Baby Catapult
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 845