Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 845

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1283087 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #6075 on: December 04, 2015, 09:37:28 pm »

I've heard it as: You're good enough to offer commissions when someone offers to pay for a commission. You won't really know until you try.

I have no idea about pricing, though. I'm still basically stabbing at paper like a caveman so it's not something I've looked into.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

KillerHP

• Bay Watcher
  • im french :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6076 on: December 05, 2015, 07:07:47 am »

-snipped for subpar justice-

also super quick experiment with a new eye style

It dawned upon me that i've been drawing circular/oval eyes for a LONG time, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to add at least one more shape to my repetoire. I actually kind of like this one, it feels more disney-esque to me, and it shall be no secret that i absolutely ADORE Disney cartoons. They're probably also why i draw so many human expressions on animals. :v
Ooh, like those eyes. Really cute! I really enjoy the big eyebrows you draw, too, hehe.

Also, I've been wanting to post something here for a bit, but I've been basically only doing furry art recently, so fuck it. I drew a friend's character a few days ago and it came out pretty well!
The face seems familiar.Ive seen something like that on C:DDA forums.
Humm.... i dunno.

???
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 07:10:23 am by KillerHP »
A random person which does stuff and likes roguelikes and SS13...

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6077 on: December 06, 2015, 02:15:48 am »

The real tricky part, however, is figuring out prices, which i have legitimately seen spanning from $5 to $100 (sometimes even more).
From my understanding: Charge whatever hourly rate (average estimate, with a clear "It costs $X to commission this") it takes to not burn yourself out drawing for rude customers with bad character designs. Never draw commissions for below minimum wage except for as temporary emergency funding.
I have no idea about pricing, though.

I figured I'd start with a fairly low price estimate and gradually adjust it towards an averaged hourly rate as I get a better feel for how long things take to draw (assuming I can find work in the first place).

Thanks for the input, all of you. I'm gonna take a shot at putting myself out there and hopefully something will come of it.

On an unrelated note, I recorded two things: a piano cover of On My Own from Les Mis and a piano-and-vocals cover of Mr. Jones. My mic wasn't designed for recording piano, so it's a little dulled, but it is what it is.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #6078 on: December 06, 2015, 03:06:22 am »

Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6079 on: December 06, 2015, 07:18:46 am »

Agreed on what Shook said, it's not so much pricing according to quality but according to how much time and effort it takes you to do it. Because there's always someone who's willing to buy what you're selling, especially if you fill a certain niche that isn't that common. You just gotta get out there and advertise yourself enough to actually find the folks willing to buy your stuff. It's not easy but it's doable.

And related, what exactly do you have in mind when it comes to commissions, is there something in particular you want to do? Or is just whatever goes an option? Because for the most part, what your portfolio shows is what people will be expecting of you. So if you don't feel like doing environments don't put them in your portfolio or people will expect you to do environments. Likewise, if there's something you really want to be doing, then fill your portfolio with as many of those pieces as you can. Also practice and study and learn to get better at what you want to do, and dabble in other stuff just in case.

Also, do you plan to have this as your regular income? Or just a bit of extra money on the side? That should also greatly affect how much time you should dedicate to doing this and what prices you should be charging.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

KillerHP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6080 on: December 06, 2015, 11:21:34 am »

I tried again.What you think? Theres no background so no shading!Im not sure how to do the details.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6081 on: December 06, 2015, 12:07:09 pm »

Honestly, seen worse.
You're actually improving, even if only just a bit and it's still not exactly pretty. Also, no background doesn't mean you can't do shading. Shading (and actually is, I think, because I'm not exactly sure what that thing is but eh) should be always there, kind of.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

KillerHP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6082 on: December 06, 2015, 02:22:27 pm »

Okay.Anyway , i did not have any idea for the guns , thats why they are weird as fuck.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6083 on: December 06, 2015, 02:31:12 pm »

What are the things on top of it meant to be?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6084 on: December 06, 2015, 05:25:03 pm »

And related, what exactly do you have in mind when it comes to commissions, is there something in particular you want to do? Or is just whatever goes an option? Because for the most part, what your portfolio shows is what people will be expecting of you.

I prefer drawing characters and landscapes, for the most part. Fitting with that, pretty much all of my drawings have been a combination of one or the other.

Also, do you plan to have this as your regular income? Or just a bit of extra money on the side? That should also greatly affect how much time you should dedicate to doing this and what prices you should be charging.

As much as I would like to subsist entirely off of commissions, I can't see it being a full-time job in the near future. If it takes off, I'd pursue it, but right now I don't have very high expectations, so it seems like I can get away with relatively low prices for now.

Noyemi K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Delmun Soft
« Reply #6085 on: December 06, 2015, 07:52:56 pm »

Howdy folks! More cheesecake incoming:

Same palette as the last large images, though there is an extra entry for his eye colour (it's Amihailu's friend Misha... made into a chubby elf girl!)
I should have gone for bonus points and put him in Mail's outfit, but it was too late.

KillerHP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6086 on: December 07, 2015, 12:05:12 pm »

What are the things on top of it meant to be?
Toxic extractor linked to exhaust pipe as it extracts all toxic particles in the smoke and contains it in a chamber.They dont want radioactivity in the air.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
  • Making a big thing this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6087 on: December 07, 2015, 04:56:41 pm »

I made another piece of pixel art, I'm trying to get more out of my comfort zone, so I decided to make two objects this time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I call the little guy Steve-e, because it sounds cute :D

DrunkGamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Beer loving Gentledwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6088 on: December 07, 2015, 05:02:19 pm »

I just got into Python and decided to do a small mini-project. An RPG character generator. It's crap, it's lazy and it's bad, but it works! (almost).

https://repl.it/B6ar/3

It's awful, plz no judge (Use enter to continue, I forgot to add a name generator but that'd be really easy to do)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6089 on: December 07, 2015, 05:16:29 pm »

Nice. Apparently, I'm a chubby goblin dude stupid in every possible way.

Thanks.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 845