Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 455 456 [457] 458 459 ... 845

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1282691 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #6840 on: February 25, 2016, 06:26:12 pm »

Sometimes they do, but it depends.In the first image, there's no texture on the plane. While the actual surface is a dull grey, light behaves as though it was a brick wall because of the normal map. In the second image, there's ONLY a texture (a cruddy one, but still). While you can tell that it's a brick wall, light bounces off of it as though it was a flat plane, which sometimes makes the image unrealistic. Here it's more exaggerated, since I made the wall be abnormally glossy. In the third image, you have both a diffuse map (a texture) and a normal map, so you can have both colors and realistic-ish lighting.

On player models, pretty much every game has both. On background scenery, I don't know how often they leave off normal maps (since they make the game run a bit slower), but I doubt it's all that common in major titles. Because wardens (in the game I'm working on) have little lanterns they carry around, having normal maps on walls would add more of an impact, since players would get to see a moving light pass by the object in question. In a game like Dark Souls, it probably wouldn't be nearly as noticeable (the primary light source is static).

Looking at a game like Silent Hill P.T., the normal mapping on the hallway's walls is much more noticeable.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6841 on: February 25, 2016, 06:42:59 pm »

Ok, that makes sense. There's probably a way people make it less tedious than I imagine.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6842 on: February 25, 2016, 07:00:01 pm »

The way I understand it, normals are basically cheating by making it look more 3d than it is.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6843 on: February 25, 2016, 08:51:46 pm »

For a while now I've been drawing heads in pixel art and for the time being, I considered myself to have mastered them (not really, I just want to move on now).

So the problem is, I'm struggling with drawing bodies. Torsos, arms, legs, that entire menagerie. I have no idea how to get better at that, any tips?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6844 on: February 25, 2016, 09:23:17 pm »

My method is to use a bunch of circles for body sketches. The exact proportions don't matter, but ribcages tend to be a bit bigger, and pelvises a bit smaller. Forearms tend to reach down to that squishy area between the ribcage and pelvis.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, be sure to watch this video. It's pretty useful.

Edit: Oh, I didn't see the pixel art part. Still, the above holds up well if you're interested in larger pixel works, although quick gesture sketches by mouse can be pretty discouraging to look at.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 09:48:34 pm by Nirur Torir »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6845 on: February 25, 2016, 09:52:51 pm »

Spoiler: mrow (click to show/hide)

For a while now I've been drawing heads in pixel art and for the time being, I considered myself to have mastered them (not really, I just want to move on now).

So the problem is, I'm struggling with drawing bodies. Torsos, arms, legs, that entire menagerie. I have no idea how to get better at that, any tips?

I drew my hand real quick. Even though it's a pretty big drawing, I'm still simplifying a lot of details. This is just one way to draw a hand. Depending on what you want, a "hand" could be a single pixel. It's only as complicated as you want it to be. When you're doing pixel art, try to think broadly. Look at other artists' pixel art and examine the ways in which they simplify details. Reference real life and learn proportion, then play with it. A lot of pixel artists use unrealistic proportions when drawing people.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #6846 on: February 25, 2016, 10:06:49 pm »

dangit i have been ninja'd three times now but oh well nice cat gunin

Precise proportions only really matter if you're drawing realistically, but it's always worth keeping the relative proportions in mind, i.e. whether you're messing with them or not. As i've both heard and later mentioned myself, it's easier to stylize reality when you know how it looks. :v

Also, drawing from life/photos and stuff is always a good idea, and as always, Andrew Loomis has valuable input. I was also told/taught a few things about it during arting course, but uh... I've forgotten the specifics. Basically, there are five dividing lines in the full human stature: Top of head, nipples, bottom of crotch, knees and feet. They should be pretty much evenly spaced, and ideally if you're unlike me and actually know what you're doing, the lines should be perpendicular to the center line. I just wing it and say "ok legs and upper body are about equally long" and go from there, but i'm not exactly a role model for good drawing practices.
Besides that, well...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Use a gorillion circles to specify the important bits and have a swooshyline to loosely follow? After that, you should be able to figure out the outline. All this is MOSTLY aimed at regular drawing, but i can assure you, all principles of drawing make themselves relevant in pixel art as well. The biggest difference between pixeling and pencilling is that you have MUCH more fine control over the pixels in the former, so people are probably going to be infinitely more nitpicky.
Wait... Shook does commissions?

Is it time for a game with Shook art then?
Oh yes, although i still need to make a proper pricing chart. As for the game thing, Egan nailed it, although i can almost guarantee that it's not going to be the last game that i participate in the creation of, whether it be solo, duo, freelance or part of a bigger yet tightly knit team. :v
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #6848 on: February 26, 2016, 09:07:50 am »

Judging by Martini-Henry rifles, red uniforms and vaguely tropical surroundings I'm going to guess it's about Anglo-Zulu war?
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6849 on: February 26, 2016, 09:34:21 am »

That's an rather thick red line.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6850 on: February 26, 2016, 01:11:24 pm »

Judging by Martini-Henry rifles, red uniforms and vaguely tropical surroundings I'm going to guess it's about Anglo-Zulu war?
It's from the movie Zulu. Very good film despite some inaccuracies (*rimshot*).

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6851 on: February 26, 2016, 07:11:49 pm »

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6852 on: February 26, 2016, 08:33:25 pm »

that's
nice
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #6853 on: February 27, 2016, 08:25:44 pm »

NOPE

NOPE IT DOES NOT

also apparently dinobro gets an oddly bulbous head when i try to apply more didney to my style
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6854 on: February 27, 2016, 08:39:23 pm »

Some of the screenshots turned out quite well, I think.

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 455 456 [457] 458 459 ... 845