Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 130

Author Topic: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___  (Read 301272 times)

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
Re: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___
« Reply #375 on: June 22, 2012, 09:09:46 am »

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 28, 2012, 02:57:27 pm »

Page 2? That shouldn't be.

For some content - I'm currently working on a collection of short stories, mostly by taking old works and attacking them with a red pen.

Here's one of the updated stories: (~770 words)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any comments welcome.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 30, 2012, 04:44:46 am »

Here's a short story I started, just the beginning:

Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

schrocko88

• Bay Watcher
  • What's up homie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 03, 2012, 12:54:00 am »

Part 2 of the story I submitted before.   ^_^

Add magma? Why the hell not?

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 08, 2012, 11:01:54 pm »

Going to post a very small bit (a few paragraphs) of the story I'm writing- a future war, cold-war gone hot. The plot is  a kind of "But wait, who's playing who?" deal.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 11:07:02 pm by Tsuchigumo550 »
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Dracken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 09, 2012, 10:48:27 pm »

What do you guy's think about this piece of fanfiction?I'm having trouble trying to get to the scenes i want to.

Hang on, you want us to be nice to the people??  You do realize that this is the bay12 forums, right?

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #381 on: July 10, 2012, 10:10:56 am »

My pedantry on when it comes to grammar has softened over the years, but when you're writing fiction, you owe it to the readers to follow the conventions they're expecting (unless you're good and/or famous enough to violate them). I'm not trying to be accusatory or mean, but at the same time, I feel called present a quick refresher...

@schrocko: not bad. You have a tendency to use lots of synonyms for 'said', which is a stylistic choice I disagree with. Each individual use of 'said' is a bit bland, but if you make a habit of using it preferentially, other dialog words stand out much more when you use them. In the end, I think you come out ahead on zest by being stingy with the dialog tags.

@Tsuchigumo: there were a few points where I thought your phrasing was a bit awkward. If you want I can go line-by-line and find them again. More generally, I thought Sanya's diction was off: she told the story sort of like she was the narrator in a written story, and although (as TVtropes says) realistic diction is unrealistic, you tend to describe things differently when you tell a story orally. The part that stuck out to me was "Having moved, I had one opportunity [...]" It's not terribly common to open with a participle phrase in conversational English, and participle phrases in conversational Russian are, as I understand it, practically unheard of. That said, the story and the milieu reminded me of something I read in a compilation of science fiction war stories, and if you were aiming for a bleak tone you're right on.

@HugoLuman: you absolutely nailed the opening line. You use 'that day' again in the next sentence or two, and could probably leave it out there. Later on, you say, "it was just the usual minor surprise at seeing a stranger," and although I don't usually say much on word choice for fear of inserting my voice into someone else's story, I don't like 'minor surprise' at all. It's too clinical. 'Mild surprise' expresses the same quantity of it, and 'mild' has connotations of gentleness and harmlessness, too.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 10, 2012, 05:54:01 pm »

@schrocko: not bad. You have a tendency to use lots of synonyms for 'said', which is a stylistic choice I disagree with. Each individual use of 'said' is a bit bland, but if you make a habit of using it preferentially, other dialog words stand out much more when you use them. In the end, I think you come out ahead on zest by being stingy with the dialog tags.
The best reasoning I've heard for this is because "said" becomes invisible to the mind as you're reading. Ideally, the dialogue itself should be able to stand without embellishment from a different tag so that the tag at the end is a courtesy at best. When you encounter a dialogue tag that isn't "said" it forces your brain to process it, and it has the chance of throwing you out of the moment. A dialogue tag other than "said" is rarely worth the additional thought expense when the reader should be thinking entirely about the dialogue that is going on, or the actions surrounding it.

It's the difference between stained glass and windshield glass. If the poetry (stained glass, the words themselves are what is important) is the focus then you can get away with it. If the story (windshield glass, what's behind the words -- the story you're trying to tell -- is important) is the focus, then you can only rarely get away with it. Perfecting even one of these approaches takes years of work; trying to be good at the poetry and story at the same time is a maddening effort with only a few masters comparatively.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #383 on: July 10, 2012, 09:03:20 pm »

Right-- that was exactly the point I was trying to make, but I don't do a lot of writing about writing. Thanks for expanding on it.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #384 on: July 12, 2012, 06:05:50 pm »

So, I'm careening toward finally publishing a novelette (currently posted in draft form at Many Words) as an e-book, and that means I have to come up with some supporting material. Probably the most important bit is the cover, so I fired up Inkscape and tried my hand at something minimalist. I guess I could hardly escape showing my name for too much longer, so: can I ask your feedback?

Spoiler: Cover (click to show/hide)

I've had a few possibilities mentioned by friends I've bounced it off of already:
1. Give the seal some damage texture.
2. Add some text somewhere in the seal's vicinity to mention that it's for the Confederate military.
3. Fiddle with the stars in the outer ring of the seal a bit; they seem like they could do with being just a hair further out in the circle, as annoying as that is to do.

The aliasing on the stars is because I was lazy and rendered at a small size. I don't think it'll show up when it's resized down from the giant size Smashwords recommends.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 12, 2012, 11:55:44 pm »

I don't like that the black band only gets about 85% across the image - I think it should go all the way across.

I also don't think that the stark black and white is working. If it's a book that relates to the Confederacy, maybe make the stars white, the outer ring blue, on a red field?

My 2c, anyway. I'll admit that I've never claimed to be a graphics artist.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #386 on: July 13, 2012, 06:59:42 am »

Different Confederacy, and I kinda like the stark black and white as a thematic nod to a fairly bleak tale about a war in space, but I'll try extending the title block all the way across and seeing how I feel about it.

Maybe I should ask the engravers guild. :P

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 17, 2012, 07:23:56 am »

I don't like that the black band only gets about 85% across the image - I think it should go all the way across.

I also don't think that the stark black and white is working. If it's a book that relates to the Confederacy, maybe make the stars white, the outer ring blue, on a red field?

My 2c, anyway. I'll admit that I've never claimed to be a graphics artist.

Yeah, I think it would look a little bit better if the band went across the whole page thing as well. I do think that the black and white makes it stand out, but just a wee bit of texture on it would make it a little more noticeable and memorable.

Anyways, do you people look at poetry? Here's a poem I wrote earlier this year...all of my peers enjoyed it, but I'd like to know if other people enjoy it as well. I saw it lying around my USB drive and thought I'd share.

Spoiler: Turkish Delight (click to show/hide)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Lieber

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #388 on: July 22, 2012, 04:36:06 pm »

Hi, I'm sure nobody here knows me, but I'm very interested in these kind of threads. I saw someone post a link here on the King Arthur's Gold Forums but anyway, I'm currently writing a story and I really want some "expert" opinion. Here it is:

Tales of Dilavia: The Prophecy
-This isn't the end.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 23, 2012, 06:07:27 am »

That was me, Lieber!
I intend to port this thread to the KAG forums later. :D

My expert opinion is thus:

While your world is well realised, your grammar lets down the fantasy. Fantasy is a very, very tough genre to write and get correct, but you've done a pretty good job.
I cannot stress grammar and spelling enough; if you intend to publish this it will NEVER get past a publisher unless it has correct spelling or grammar.

The middle of the city had most of the information on the whereabouts, the King’s Castle, a few hotels and restaurants, and the Tree House, not exactly a stronghold but still the place where the Tree Lover Clan stayed. At the East, the road seemed to be blocked off. He asked what was the problem over there but the only answers he got were: “Bad place to be fellow” or “Don’t ask, you’ll attract less problems”.

You tend to "Tell" us what is happening rather than "Show"ing us. I'll try and rewrite this paragraph so that it shows more than it tells.

In the middle of the city, there was a grand sign standing. On it could be found directions to the most important parts of the city; the King's Castle, and the hotels and restaurants. There was also the 'Tree House' - not really a stronghold, but it was where the Tree Lover Clan called their home. Heading to the east of the city, the road  appeared to be blocked. Asking around, Lieber could not find out much, just that 'It's a bad place to be, fellow'.

See how that shows more of the world Lieber is in? By including details and letting the reader fill in part but not all of the info, you create a vibrant world that is different for every person reading.

Overall I'd say you're a good writer, but you are embarking on a difficult path with fantasy. As David Eddings, author of the Belgariad and the Malloreon, some of the best modern fantasy said, "If you think you are ready to write fantasy, write a million words, then throw it away. If you still want to write fantasy then you have what it takes."
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 130