Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 130

Author Topic: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___  (Read 301222 times)

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
Re: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___
« Reply #435 on: October 05, 2012, 09:17:45 am »

I've been a member of Bay12 for a while, but usually I'm only active in the Modding or Other Games forums.  But I have a bit of an active life in writing, atleast for fun.  I'm a long-term member of a chat roleplaying website called The Keep.

But recently I started working on my own high-fantasy setting that I'm seriously debating turning into a series of books.  The only problem is that I have very little experience with writing professionally.  In any case, let me provide some background on the setting and story.

The setting is called Midrealm, and its a place where the living (also called Livers) live and work amongst the dead (Deaders), both of the deadmen variety (zombies, liches, ect.) and wraiths (ghosts, spirits, ect.).  Midrealm is a barren wasteland, drawing inspariation from deserts and canyons and the like.  Crops are extremely hard to grow, as the cold seasons are alot longer than the warm, growing seasons are.  Zombies are often used as packhorses and the like, drawing carraiges and coaches while being managed by a liche, who atleast is still somewhat of human intelligence, in most cases.

The economics, currancy, political structure and everything is of my own creation.  Midrealm is ruled over by a quasi-deity known as the Summoner King, but comes by his authority and power from a massively powerful artifact known as the Prophecy, which is semi-sentient.  Unbeknownst to almost everyone besides the Summoner King, he is not immortal, and after several centuries the powers he wields starts burning through his humanity, and is thus replaced.   In this case, the Summoner King finds out that his time is drawing to a close, and makes the decision to fight against the Prophecy, and actively starts searching for the one who's destined to replace him in order to become effectively immortal and all-powerful.

The starting of the setting is rather cliche, but at the same time it provides the most opens with how the story could unfold.  The story will center around the Prophecy's 'chosen one' as he grows from a teenager into a man along with his companions, and quite possibly a civil war that draws the attention of both the Lowrealm (Livers only), and Highrealm (Lands of the Dead).  Not to mention the various other creatures, species, and the several-thousand year timeline I've had bouncing around in my head a while.

Anyway, any thoughts, suggestions, or questions are welcome! Thank you.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #436 on: October 05, 2012, 09:43:41 am »

While I like your dead/undead dichotomy (I'm of a mind to eventually work on something similar, albeit less serious), I do have to offer a few warnings about things you said:

The starting of the setting is rather cliché

This, in my opinion, is not a good sign (although, from what you said so far, it's also a problem you can dodge). You have an interesting hook with the living and undead not being necessarily adversarial, and I think it would be a good idea to introduce the setting with something like the packhorse zombies you mentioned (when you start the story, at least). A few unusual details at the start help differentiate you from the vast quantity of high fantasy that's already out there.

The story will center around the Prophecy's 'chosen one' as he grows from a teenager into a man along with his companions

This is a classic story, but the problem is, it's so classic that it begins to feel samey. I'm not going to lay claim to any particular originality, because a lot of the things I write are so classic they've become cliché, but unless you have some very memorable characters and some very good execution, you may run into issues where readers/publishers/what have you end up saying, "This is the same chosen one hero's journey civil war story I've read dozens of times before." In particular, although the setting is distinct, your plot outline made me think 'Eragon' almost immediately.

Which isn't prima facie a bad thing, but again—high fantasy is an exceptionally crowded space, and I'd definitely want to be able to point at distinct plot and setting elements to say why some random reader should look at my story instead of someone else's.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 05, 2012, 11:12:41 am »

Hm, not quite.  Its a bit cliche in my mind because really, it is.   But Eragon was blatantly the hero from the get-go.    In this case, its more like events push him upon that path, even though he seems to make all the choices, or atleast is given the illusion of choice in those matters.

Thank you for the idea of starting off, perhaps in the prologue, with the coach and whatnot.  That's not something I had had in mind before, but looking at it now, it does make alot of sense.  Also, for a bit more background,  Midrealm is high in mineral content, metals and even precious gems and the like.  Most of the population deals with metalcrafts or rough trade, with very few 'farms' and ranch-style set up in specific areas. 

Also, tradition wood is all but non-existant in Midrealm, so stonework is extremely important for building materials and projects.  At the same time, though, several areas where mass graves are have become home to a type of fungus called Deadwood, which can grow to be quite big (20 feet tall, 5 feet thick) and the stems are fiberous, almost like a wood, while the tops bloom once a season, creating a flower that's quite potent magically, and a type of fruit that is poisonous to Livers, but can be consumed by Deaders instead of their traditional food.

Speaking of the Deaders for a moment, because Midrealm is seperated from the true lands of the dead, and yet is distant from the true land of the living (Highrealm and Lowrealm, respectively), Deaders can survive in Midrealm, but only by mostly consuming a substance known as Emptimus, also called Eus (E-us) as its slang name.  Emptimus is a crystal that grows in the presense of the Summoner King, and slowly solidifies in gaint vats of water within the throneroom of the Dread Palace.  Its used as an energy source in magics, as well.  Emptimus 'Shards' are the official curancy of Midrealm, ranked via quanity as well as quality, depending upon how 'pure' the shards are.  The purer Emptimus is, the lighter in color it is, and the more potent.  Highly pure Eus is deadly to Livers, and prolonged contact can cause sickness or immediant death.

Deaders, on the other hand, consume it to keep their existance in Midrealm.  Zombies, liches, and the like munch on it in a parody of ingesting it.  Ghosts and spirits on the other hand simply touch it to consume it.  The more a Deader consumes, the stronger they become, as well.  A spirit for example that consumes a massive quanity of it... Lets just say the Summoner King himself had to deal with one several centuries before the start of the story and it created a region called the 'Pit', where the destruction and energy released there created the Scourge, the collective name for a race of demonic-like beings of primitive intelligence and unsatable hunger.  Demons are seperate entities both in their biology and creation than the other beings.

Also, to touch a bit upon the Prophecy, I'm using it as both a common element, and a plot device.  No one has seen the true Prophecy sense Midrealm was created.  Only the Summoner King, the Judges (Lesser Deities), and the Archeon know its true purpose and its rough whereabouts.   Instead, most people in Midrealm know it only through collective information, much in the form of a book or a script, like a Bible.  This though is all second hand, and over time has been re-written and re-drafted by different individuals and Summoner Kings to misguide the general population to the truth.

The Prophecy is partially a living, sentient thing that balances out the world of Midrealm.  Midrealm was a distaster that never should have happened, but did anyway, and thus had to be kept in balance between the true lands of the living and the dead.  Its both the keystone of all existance within Midrealm, the encoding of its laws and traditions, and also partially its own author.  As times change, so do the Prophecy, and it can indirectly influence some things within the world, acting like Lady Luck in some cases.

Anyway, thanks again!

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 05, 2012, 02:19:12 pm »

...Stuff...
If nothing else, I'll say that you've got an interesting world, although I'm a bit curious how the entire Emptimus grows around the King/The dead need it to survive balance works out there. If the dead need to consume Emptimus or they... um, die.. again, then it means that they must have come after the King, since the stuff only grows in his presence.

Which, I suppose, would lead to the question of: how are the dead created? Have I just stumbled onto the (probabably obvious) reason why he's called the Summoner King?

So yeah, sounding like you've got some good world building going on. Of course, coming up with settings is only the first part - you'll need to actually come up with interesting characters and a good (ie well-written) story for a novel; dialog helps too.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 02:21:03 pm by AlStar »

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 05, 2012, 06:26:18 pm »

Indeed, AlStar.   Its actually tied into the history of Midrealm that it starts to make sense.  I'll outline some of it here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Okay, that was a little long winded, so I put it in spoilers.  But yes, I have a thing for world building, although I've never gone into quite this much detail before.   But this only scratches the surface of everything I have in mind for the setting.  Thanks.

schrocko88

• Bay Watcher
  • What's up homie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 07, 2012, 11:34:35 pm »

So, I want to write something. But I'm not sure what to write. How about a prompt, since we haven't had one in about four hundred years? :)
Add magma? Why the hell not?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 08, 2012, 04:55:43 am »

If Phantom doesn't mind  / can't be reached, I'd love to give out the prompt for this week.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #442 on: October 08, 2012, 06:13:46 am »

Yey.
It might be a chance to try my hand at a different style xD

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 08, 2012, 06:45:26 am »

If Phantom doesn't mind  / can't be reached, I'd love to give out the prompt for this week.
Do it, sire.

You're one of the mentors, so I am sure that Phantom won't mind.  :P

* Tiruin calls the next prompt after Reudh.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 08, 2012, 10:32:52 am »

Its why most of the Emptimus forms around him.   The situation with the vats in the throneroom was just a natural decision, since the purest Emptimus crystals form in clean, fresh water.  Otherwise it would form just about anywhere.

Some questions that came to me while reading:
Does he have control where these crystals form? If not, it seems like any castle/palace/whatever inhabited by him for any length of time would eventually turn into a giant crystal, as crystals would form in the walls.
Do crystals only form in inanimate material? If not, it seems like it could be hazardous to be anywhere near the King, lest you get crystals growing in you.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 08, 2012, 10:52:25 am »

There is some concious control over it, yes.  Although as a currency that also acts a renewable resource, its constantly being harvested and put into circulation.  It can grow on inanimate objects, but not in them; but being exposed to air makes it a really slow process, like crystal quartz and calcium.  It grows alot quicker in the water.

Also, its generally hazardous to be near the King anyway.  As time goes no, he becomes more and more unstable and can't maintain his humanity.  So violent outbursts and the like are common.  Think Darth Vader with bi-polar disorder.  :D

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 08, 2012, 02:50:59 pm »

Alright. Prompt for this week:

What is the most peaceful place you know? Write about it. Write about what makes it so peaceful. Think how peaceful it is, and then... someone you very strongly dislike comes in and disrupts the peacefulness. How do you feel about this? How do you resolve it?

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #447 on: October 09, 2012, 11:57:03 am »

I'm listed on Web Fiction Guide, and I've found that it's been good for traffic so far. I don't know who else here is posting their stuff, but I'd recommend getting a listing up if you're doing so.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 10, 2012, 09:14:56 pm »

Some of you may rember me from  being that one fucker who posts a lot on the Forum Games section. I however do come up this far sometimes and often look at this thread. My of my dreams is to be a writier and have wanted to post in this thread but I keep on forgetting. Getting to the point of this ramble I just finished the first draft of a essay for school about the nature of value that is important to me so I'm going to post it here. Just as a warning I tend to ramble on about my view point on the world and humanity as a whole so yeah.
The value I did was Determination

Spoiler: Determination (click to show/hide)
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 10, 2012, 09:32:31 pm »

I may pop up another story sooner or later. Last one seemed to go well, title was A Space Oddity, I believe.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 130