Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678528 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #4140 on: February 03, 2017, 03:29:18 pm »

It would be interesting if you could do some active spying in the midgame if there was cloaking research. Flying about the galaxy with espionage vessels could give you something to do other than fight wars after you get to the point where you can't explore/expand much anymore.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4141 on: February 03, 2017, 06:45:24 pm »

I really would like to see big empires be prone to fracturing.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: February 03, 2017, 07:45:31 pm »

I really would like to see big empires be prone to fracturing.
Me too, but given that they couldn't handle this in CK2, where it's kind of an important recurring historical theme, I'm fairly dubious.

Then again, maybe tech and foresight will help this time around. Ethics Divergence, while crap, is still better at providing meaningful internal complications than anything I'm aware of in CK2. Until you get mind control lasers.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: February 03, 2017, 08:02:01 pm »

It comes down to sectors. If sectors were an advantage instead of a detriment, if they existed for AI, then they'd be really reasonable fracture points.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: February 03, 2017, 08:25:27 pm »

It comes down to sectors. If sectors were an advantage instead of a detriment, if they existed for AI, then they'd be really reasonable fracture points.

They don't have to be so much an advantage as a mandated detriment to growing bigger, like Corruption in the Civ games.  But yeah, they'd have to apply to the AI as well.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: February 03, 2017, 11:25:54 pm »

They've got characters, trade and diplomacy in
I mean, not really though.
they're adding stuff like artisans and mega-structures that weren't ever really 'needed'.
Those are tiny gimmick things added to fund the main development. Little side things like that aren't really relevant since the amount of dev time they use is trivial. Compare that to the tradition trees, the consumer goods, the species rights, and most especially the ethics overhaul, with the faction overhaul that it begets.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 11:29:29 pm by Cruxador »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: February 03, 2017, 11:43:05 pm »

On reflection, it really seems that combat needs a total redesign. Given that a fleet can be destroyed because it stops fleeing from a superior force in order to destroy a mining outpost, I would imagine that there is something wrong with the game as it stands.

There's also the fact that corvettes are the most cost-effective form of firepower. And that the game systems of weapons are disconnected from the apparent systems (what appear to be missiles are actually just special particle effects, but there are missile objects, but they follow different rules, and they immediately blow up if the mothership is destroyed...). And that all ships use the same "strategy," which is "ignore my maximum range and circle around the enemy," meaning that range is the least important feature of every weapon.

I don't really know if I'd want to buy an expansion pack if the main game is so nonfunctional...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: February 04, 2017, 12:07:27 am »

On reflection, it really seems that combat needs a total redesign. Given that a fleet can be destroyed because it stops fleeing from a superior force in order to destroy a mining outpost, I would imagine that there is something wrong with the game as it stands.
This has been on my mind since ever -_-
"FLEE! Retreat, fleet! Oh wait there's a tiny outpost over there let's go into battle and reset the warp drive by a month~"

You go, Commander. :I

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: February 04, 2017, 12:10:07 am »

Damn, there is no SUPERFORTRESS or deathstar tier weapon among superstructures :c

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: February 04, 2017, 01:16:17 am »

It's been 6510 hours since the game came out and the devs still haven't figured out the most important aspect of any Space 4X.

The ability to blow up a planet.

What's wrong with them.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4150 on: February 04, 2017, 01:43:28 am »

Christ I'll settle for simply being able to bomb a world into a tomb world at this point. Cuz come on how does it make any sense that after 5 years of full orbital bombardment everyone is alive on a planet? the atomic age primitives can tomb their world in under a hour why can't I do that?
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: February 04, 2017, 11:30:36 am »

Damn, there is no SUPERFORTRESS or deathstar tier weapon among superstructures :c

Mods. They already have them out there.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: February 04, 2017, 12:26:18 pm »

The head dev recently said that glassing worlds is not in purely for balance reasons at this point, since it doesn't work well with the warscore mechanics and you could just glass a whole enemy nation, but he's figured out a way around it. However, it won't be ready by 1.5.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: February 04, 2017, 12:35:54 pm »

I assume that choosing to glass other nations would be like using a nuke or planet buster in most other 4Xs; just about everyone will hate you for it and may truce with each other in order to take you down.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4154 on: February 04, 2017, 12:40:57 pm »

I can imagine it would create an interesting external threat/end game/fallen civs thing. If you start just tombing/destroying planets it might wake up some sort of universe defender type force that'd step in to stop you - as it'd be a chance thing, you might feel tempted to risk it on occasion.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 632